Mobile Phones

I haven't had much luck with mobiles so I'm hoping for assistance.
I currently have a Sony Ericsson W910i which is quite frankly shit. My contract is up in May so I'm having a look at phones just now.

I'm currently with Vodafone but their service has been less stellar but they have unlimited texts so I think I'll be sticking with them.

What mobiles out there are good?
I'm quite interested in the Sony Xperia, Nokia N96 and N97.

D

debord

I don’t think the N97 is out until at least the middle of the year – it looks great though. I have an N95 and have no complaints – BRILLIANT camera on it, can instant message, send picture messages, surf the internet easily, decent battery life etc etc. The N96 is just a spruced up version so there would be no reason to get the N95 instead unless it was a lot cheaper.

D

DiscoWenchy83

My bro' has a Sony Xperia - it is HOOOOOOOT. Very, very nice. Quite a multitasking phone, but that's no bad thing.

Debord -I've had such a different experience with my N95! The software had to be updated, the battery runs out too quickly compared to my old phone, the camera isn't as good as my Sony Cyber-Shot one was, and I find it to be so slow. Well, nothing wrong with the flip side of the coin.

I would stick with Sony Ericsson, I have to say. Never had a hint of trouble with any of mine (four of them). Same for my brother, he's been using them for about 8 years I think!

If one person brings up the iPhone, I'll go spare.

D

debord

Yeah people always have wildly varying experiences – I was with Sony Ericsson for a couple of years and had constant trouble with my phone. My boyfriend has one of the latest cyber-shot cameraphones s and neither of us think it’s as good as the camera on mine at all. One of the good things about the Nokia N series is that they’re always a bit chunkier because they put in a decent lens, which is where most camera phones fall down.

D

debord

iphone = overpriced style>substance. All of the phones we're talking about can do pretty much everything the iphone does and MORE, and for a fraction of the cost.

DiscoWenchy83 said:
I would stick with Sony Ericsson, I have to say. Never had a hint of trouble with any of mine (four of them). Same for my brother, he's been using them for about 8 years I think!

I got my first Sony Ericsson last year and apart from my first ever phone (Nokia 3310, I loved it so much) it's definitely my favourite phone so far.
Will definitely be sticking with them when it comes to getting a new one later on this year.

i have an iPhone and finds it works a dream, to be honest, the only thing that has really irked me in any way with it is that it can't send picture messages (well, you can with a certain application but it is a bit annoying)

I assume there will eventually be an official upgrade from Apple at some point though that will support proper picture messaging

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
Things that are wrong with the iPhone:

1. The camera's good considering it's about 1 megapixel or whatever it is but it's still a bit shit
2. Bluetooth is limited to headsets etc (so you can't sync your phone with a Bluetooth enabled computer via Bluetooth)
3. The battery's not great

Apart from that it's amazing.

D

debord

Isn’t the battery on the iphone internal? Meaning that, unlike with most other phones, if there’s a problem with the battery you can’t just easily buy another one and pop it in? And I don’t think there is any expandable memory.

There’s no denying that it’s a snazzy bit of kit though.

Yes I wrote ‘snazzy’.

Popjustice

Staff member
he/him
Yes it's internal, so if there's a problem with it then it needs to be 'seen to' properly. Not sure what problems you'd have with a battery going wrong, but I do know that when I broke my iPhone I took it into Carphone Warehouse to arrange a replacement expecting to have to send it off for repair for a fortnight but, to my surprise, was walking out 15 minutes later with a brand new replacement. So I'd guess a failed battery would be covered similarly quickly. I've heard similar positive stories from other people who also have iPhones - it seems O2 or Apple are approaching the iPhone contracts with an odd, innovative, 'give people good customer service' idea.

And no, there's no expandable memory. To be honest 16gb's fine for me - loads of room for music, videos, apps, contacts, calendars etc.

i love sony ericssons, ive had about 3 now and they tend to last forever and have nice easy to use menus, decent speakers and media managment stuff.

I love my k850i the camera is pretty good, not as good as my digital camera but at the end of the day its a phone that can ring people, text people and take fairly high quality pictures

D

debord

Yes to be fair I think my Sony Ericsson woes were down to one particular phone. I can’t remember the name of it but when I phoned to upgrade the O2 person said those phones were riddled with bugs. Saying that, when I asked to be upgraded to the next Sony Ericsson up she said that was also riddled with bugs and she recommended I avoid. This was years ago though.

Popjustice said:
Weezerfan said:
Popjustice said:
when I broke my iPhone
How did you break it?

Well funnily enough Weezerfan I was drunk at the time - I dropped it and it landed on a button which went a bit weird.

BUT IT HASNT GOT ANY BUTTONS! Well unless you mean the volume one, or the mute one, or the 'home' button, which is more of a...concave dimple.

*head explodes*

EDIT. I always knew my 3000th post would be a silly one.

debord said:
Yes to be fair I think my Sony Ericsson woes were down to one particular phone. I can’t remember the name of it but when I phoned to upgrade the O2 person said those phones were riddled with bugs. Saying that, when I asked to be upgraded to the next Sony Ericsson up she said that was also riddled with bugs and she recommended I avoid. This was years ago though.

That phone you are referring to is the phone I currently have. Worst phone ever. I would have full signal but not receive messages or calls. Would randomly shut off. I could type an entire text before the first word had showed up on the screen. Stored all my contacts 5 times on my sim, shit camera. Awful awful phone.

DiscoWenchy83 said:
Debord -I've had such a different experience with my N95! The software had to be updated, the battery runs out too quickly compared to my old phone, the camera isn't as good as my Sony Cyber-Shot one was, and I find it to be so slow. Well, nothing wrong with the flip side of the coin.

My N95 8GB is quite useless.
I've had a replacement, a repair and two software updates.
The battery is terrible - if I try and use GPS or the internet you can guarantee it will be dead by about 5pm.

D

debord

Whiteflag35 said:
debord said:

That phone you are referring to is the phone I currently have. Worst phone ever. I would have full signal but not receive messages or calls. Would randomly shut off. I could type an entire text before the first word had showed up on the screen. Stored all my contacts 5 times on my sim, shit camera. Awful awful phone.

Yes that sounds rather familiar.