Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (Evan Peters Netflix Series) | The Popjustice Forum

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story (Evan Peters Netflix Series)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by VicePresidentJocasta, Sep 16, 2022.

1. Created by Ryan Murphy & Ian Brennan, this could really go either way. The story has been told so many times, but the trailer looks creepy as fuck and Evan Peters can be incredible with the right material. It also stars Niecy Nash and Richard Jenkins, and apparently it's told mostly through the lens of Jeffrey's victims.

All 10 episodes drop on Wednesday.

GimmeWork likes this.
  2. That's an excellent trailer.

GimmeWork and Digital_Fossil like this.
  3. I'm an Evan Peters truther despite my better judgement. I'm excited to see how this goes.

GimmeWork and Disobedience like this.
  4. Using the victims’ perspectives was one of the things that actually worked well in the second season of American Crime Story, so a similar approach could work here. Will likely see how others receive this before I dive in myself, though.

5. Niecy's description has me pretty hopeful that that is leaning in the direction we're probably all hoping.

6. I'm surprised there's no reviews on this even though it drops midnight tonight (I assume) and we didn't know anything about it until a week ago.

Cognitive Dissonance likes this.
  7. I love Evan Peters but damn after watching the trailer not sure I can handle the subject matter…

Maria likes this.
  8. They may be a bit nervous about reviews given that none of his Netflix series have been particularly warmly received by critics. I'm not sure if it's necessarily specific to their confidence in this series, or if they're just playing it carefully because of how his last few shows have been reviewed.

[​IMG]

9. another evan peters/ryan murphy show?

[​IMG]

10. IS THERE NO ONE ELSE? HONESTLY?!

Anyway I'll be watching.

daninternational likes this.
  11. I think I just don’t really want this story told in this way by this man.

12. I hadn't heard about this until Dyllon Burnside (who was on Pose) posted about it on his social media. There wasn't very much hype or publicity.

13. There’s not really a relevant thread so lemme promote it here:

Everyone should watch Blackbird.

craiggci likes this.
  14. Watched the first episode tonight and it was pretty intense. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

Also, I'll second @Bobbyrae's suggestion. Blackbird was excellent.

Bobbyrae likes this.
  15. I've read a couple of books on Jeffrey Dahmer and this intrigues me but I know Ryan Murphy's previous material, so...

16. One thing I was worried about was the episode lengths, but there's only one episode over an hour (63 minutes) so hopefully it doesn't feel as bloated as so many recent streaming shows.
    I'll be the first to say that AHS has been a disaster for years and his Netflix stuff has all been spotty at best, but American Crime Story makes me optimistic that he can do a true crime story well.

Bobbyrae likes this.
  17. The Gianni Versace show that was really about Cunanan was very well done and that gives me hope.

mcuk, GimmeWork, Alenko and 1 other person like this.
  18. Uno

Uno

Looks like Niecy's description was pretty accurate and makes me want to watch it even more.

19. One and a half episodes in and I’m fully hooked, this is surprisingly good for Ryan Murphy. I like how nuanced they are regarding race and gender in connection to the Dahmer story. I don’t get why it is not branded as an American Crime Story season though, it could have further elevated the reception and impact of that show.

20. The first episode was good but intense but finding the childhood flashbacks in episode two to be a bit heavy handed in simplifying how these subject matters effected what he did in the future.

The father telling the mother she should get a lobotomy for instance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.