Movie comments, outbursts, quips and general chatter

Yeah that Jungle Book trailer looks amazing. Why did I think Cate Blanchett was voicing Khaa though? Was she ever attached at any point?

I watched The Giver last night and it was odd, because I love me anything dystopian. It was beautifully shot and had a lot of heart, but just fell flat as a second-rate Hunger Games. The plot just didn't feel substantial enough, and already felt painfully predictable just a few minutes in.

I watched The Giver last night and it was odd, because I love me anything dystopian. It was beautifully shot and had a lot of heart, but just fell flat as a second-rate Hunger Games. The plot just didn't feel substantial enough, and already felt painfully predictable just a few minutes in.

This, Divergent, The Maze Runner and Ender's Game all fail in comparison to The Hunger Games films. It's funny that The Giver got Meryl Streep and that she didn't end up in one of the bigger young adult dystopian franchises.

The plot of The Giver made absolutely no sense. It asks you to suspend disbelief about far too many things. The physical barrier of memory was ridiculous. And there wasn't enough of Meryl being a despotic dystopian judicial queen; they even cut away from her when she delivers the line about 'when people have the power to choose they choose wrong'. A mess. The best part of the film is the piano piece that Jeff Bridges plays which, alas, is not available in an official form:

He/They
At least The Maze Runner had various hiot young men to watch run about... Though they missed so much out of the book, I'm surprised the film lasted even the 90 minutes it did.
I couldn't get into the second book though, so alas, I'll end up watching the second film instead, just to see what happens.

All those """dystopia""" youth novels/movies are boring and I hate them.
I actually think right now, all of these young adult novel adaptations are bizarrely very similar, even when they're totally different genres. They always seem to be based on books you've never heard of until the movie comes out, as well, only to find that apparently 'everyone' loves them and they were bestsellers. I can spot them about 30 seconds into a trailer with no prior knowledge of the title, author, etc.

The first Hunger Games is a fantastic standalone film. As a series it is genuinely pathetic.

And how the fuck have a never heard of the Giver!? Was it released in the UK? Just googled and it stars a hottie, Meryl Streep and Taylor Swift. That 36% Rotten Tomatoes score ain't putting me off.

he/him
Just watched Mommy from Xavier Dolan....and God....all those feelings, it's 9/10 if not 10/10
And Born to Die at the end...just perfect.

Mommy suffered from some severe problems including the odd music choices at times.

I liked Laurence Anyways much better. All his films have problems but it makes for an interesting oeuvre.

I feel like his ego and persona often stand in the way of his work. He can never let a movie just play out but always has to intervene with a heavy hand and thus taking the viewer out of the movie. 'Born To Die' for instance is already such a well-known and overplayed pop song. It's too recent for him to be able to re-define the individual memories of the viewers and it's too obviously connected in its lyrical content to the content of the movie, that it turns the scene into a parody almost.
Either way, that song choice for instance just made me burst out laughing.

Or how in Laurence Anyways he puts in all these overwrought academic references just to show off that he has an intellect because they serve no real purpose for the story or the plot.
Same goes to some of his stylistical choices which just take the viewer out of the movie in stead of roping them in. (Something like the 'Wonderwall' scene in Mommy comes to mind where he opts for a cheap effect where the character literally widens the aspect ratio of the film. On a symbolic level it's so damn obvious and on a story-telling level it seems silly because he only keeps the new aspect ratio for that scene and doesn't actually use it in a way that helps or supports the plot.)

That said, he always works with some amazing actresses, the costumes are always on point and he knows how to make some beautiful images. He just needs to find a way to remove himself from the frame.

he/him
Oh so I guess you just don't like Xavier's style...and you will find some unnecessary reason in every his movie to not to like it, cause all things you said...aren't really that bad.

I really like his movies, I just recognise they have some problems. Not everything has to be a completely love or a completely hate opinion.
Whatever happened to nuance.

he/him
Of course there is nuance....but the fact that Born to Die is well-known pop song and at the ending scene, you made it like it's some huge mistake that harms quality of the film....and it doesn't really. It's sounds like some hipsterish criticism.