Moving threads in and out of Comeback Corner | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Moving threads in and out of Comeback Corner

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by londonrain, Mar 11, 2021.

1. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Done.

slaybellz likes this.
  2. Would it not be more appropriate just to admit it’s at the admins own discretion/bias/mood as who to whom they want in or out of the main page?

I haven’t yet seen a coherent explanation as to why Rihanna is on the main forum. I’ve just scrolled through reams of artists that have ‘actively stepped away from making music’ (or, sadly, passed away).

All a bit flimsy tbh.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  3. Maybe under the old rules, but Rihanna is now someone who "hasn’t released anything for a while but hasn’t actually retired"? Isn't she expected to be releasing a new album this year?

slaybellz and londonrain like this.
  4. kal

kal

So were the Sugababes. I’m just saying.

ohaimanabu likes this.
  5. Regardless, I don't remember Rihanna retiring.

slaybellz and londonrain like this.
  6. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Is this an official request to move them to P&J?

7. kal

kal

I’m not sure if it’s warranted. Just like I’m not sure about the Rihanna thread. That’s the point I’m trying to make.

8. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

There’s going to be whataboutery whatever we do. I moved Rihanna to Comeback Corner and people kicked off about it. We moved her back and set these rules to be clearer and you say it isn’t warranted. We can’t win.

tea, GimmeWork, soratami and 2 others like this.
  9. kal

kal

Fair enough. It’s not your fault that my faves are keeping me thirsty to the point of being jaded as fuck. It’s also irrational that my only solution to expressing said thirst is to say they deserve the comeback corner. But it is what it is. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GimmeWork, Mr.Arroz and londonrain like this.
  10. The answer is for everyone to be less uptight about what goes where. Just discuss the music and artists you like?

11. Back in my early PJ days it was called “The PJ Happy Days Retirement Village” or something like that. I’m not sure when and why it suddenly became “Comeback Corner”, did the name ever make sense in the first place?

Eric Generic likes this.
  12. Might I suggest that the criteria just be more objective with a number put to it? Artist must be either:

1) Dead
    2) Announced they're not working indefinitely
    3) Hasn't released music either as a solo track or being featured, in at least 10 years

For Item 3, it's very unlikely that the artist hasn't somewhat retired if he/she hasn't released music in 10 years, teebs. Even Christina's longest gap was just 2 to 3 years (I'm counting her features).

As for the name, how about... PopJustice Residencies to reference Vegas? Dddd

londonrain likes this.
  13. I have to say I actually really like having the older nostalgia artists together in 1 sub forum, even though a lot of them are still active. Most of them would get totally lost in the main pop & justice forum.

Jamie, MilesAngel, paullypaul and 2 others like this.

14. This.

Jamie and Fanatical like this.
  15. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Isn't the "most of them would get totally lost in P&J" argument applicable to pretty much any act who doesn't have a super active thread?

Also, the whole point is that it's really hard to categorise what constitutes an "older nostalgia artist" that's still active without veering into outright ageism. Is Mariah one? Madonna? Kylie? Garbage? All of them have been in Pop & Justice for ages with no problems, and their careers date from well before the likes of, say, the Sugababes and Girls Aloud, who are in Comeback Corner because they're not active artists.

Sure - that works for me.

(The mods have no control over the name of the subforum, though. We literally can't change the name.)

16. Yeah, I’d agree that it’s hard to have consistent metrics on what constitutes “veteran” or “nostalgia” artists as opposed to, let’s say, level of activity. Like, does your lead single have to miss the Top 20 on Billboard + decades old in the industry to be considered a veteran? Dddd

tea and londonrain like this.
  17. tea

tea

Thoughts on reducing the hiatus from 10 to 5 years for not releasing music?

Jamie likes this.
  18. Ok we're going a little crazy now. 5 year gaps between albums used to be considered normal. Not every artist can churn out an album every year.

tea and londonrain like this.
  19. tea

tea

Sorry this comes off kinda dismissive for no reason? I didn't say artists need to release every year, I suggested anything past 5 years would be considered "Comeback Corner" is that really crazy? Also artists being pressured to release more frequently implies artists have less time allowed between releases before being seen as publicly stepping away from music, which makes my case dd.

This would make it easier to scroll through main forum for artists actively releasing/between campaigns, while artists with awaited "comebacks" be moved to "Comeback Corner" and would simplify the silly Rihanna/Britney/Sky Ferreira thread moving drama.

And before anyone comes at me with "who cares" you're absolutely right it's just semantics. I don't mean to be a nuisance, just here to share ideas.

edit: I really didn't need to go off like this when asking for peoples thoughts... yikes. I'm sorry.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
  20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I mean, the whole idea of Comeback Corner is semantics anyway, so I wouldn’t worry on that front.

I appreciate your point about 5 years (especially if we’re requiring that it be five years since the artist has released ANY music as a featured or lead artist), but I think the idea behind the 10-year limit was that someone who’s been away that long has basically retired, whereas that may not be the case for someone who’s been away for 5 years.

Happy to hear everyone’s take on this, though.

tea likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.