Ms. Lauryn Hill

I’ve seen Lauryn twice - once at the O2 Academy Brixton, which was pretty terrible in that she remixed almost all the songs (not in a good way) and only did a few in their original form. She was pretty late too.

Then my friend persuaded me to go to the 20th anniversary tour of “Miseducation” and that was significantly better. She sounded great and pretty much stuck to the original arrangements. Luckily The O2 have a very strict curfew so artists get fined if they run overtime. I think she must have got that message as she was pretty much bang on! So I’m hoping for the same for The Fugees show. I got standing tickets. The seated ones are pretty extortionate - more than tickets for Diana Ross and Elton John for example.

I vowed that as the 20th anniversary of “Miseducation” was such a good show that I would not go to see her again. However, I couldn’t resist The Fugees and it’s at The O2 again so I’m keeping the faith!

Last edited:
Then my friend persuaded me to go to the 20th anniversary tour of “Miseducation” and that was significantly better. She sounded great and pretty much stuck to the original arrangements. Luckily The O2 have a very strict curfew so artists get fined if they run overtime. I think she must have got that message as she was pretty much bang on! So I’m hoping for the same for The Fugees show. I got standing tickets. The seated ones are pretty extortionate - more than tickets for Diana Ross and Elton John for example.
You were lucky - on the same tour in Glasgow, she was so late taking the stage that her set barely clocked in at 45 minutes. She pulled the same thing when headlining the inaugural Playground festival the following summer. (I didn't go to either, which is a sad state of affairs when it's a tour celebrating one of your favourite albums of all time, but there it is.)

As someone who would rank Miseducation in my Top 3 all time albums (changing places with Mama’s Gun and Voodoo depending on my daily mood)… I’m ashamed to say that I dismissed Unplugged and never listened until earlier this year (reviews at the time were savage).

And it’s actually AMAZING isn’t it!?

It's very long and a lot of the songs sound pretty samey. I have the DVD and it's more fun to watch but it's not really a go to. I think there was potential with a bulk of that material though had she wanted to produce it into an actual follow-up record.

It's very long and a lot of the songs sound pretty samey. I have the DVD and it's more fun to watch but it's not really a go to. I think there was potential with a bulk of that material though had she wanted to produce it into an actual follow-up record.

It is absolutely “self-indulgent and messy” but… that’s a huge part of its charm to me.

Mystery Of Iniquity is perfection.

This tale has been said before but listened to some songs from Unplugged yesterday for the first time and they are incredible. Was the bad reviews wave at the time fake? l remember very clearly the reception totally monstrous and feeling bad for her, the songs are amazing?

I always liked the songs but would have loved to have heard fully recorded and produced versions and perhaps some could have been edited down. I've not listened in a while but I'm sure some are quite lengthy and the songs didn't always go anywhere sonically to keep you invested. Though I recall, lyrically, they were quite interesting.

Still shocking that we never got another studio album but also quite cool that Miseducation has such a legacy.

Maybe this does exist and I’m not aware of it. But by 2024 I’m surprised that some enterprising fan never created full-bodied musical arrangements around the Unplugged songs, just to see how they’d sound and feel with some meat on their bones.