MUNA - (Self-titled) | Page 36 | The Popjustice Forum

MUNA - (Self-titled)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Tiger Suit, Sep 1, 2021.

1. Picking a top 5, or even a top 10, would be impossible.

But I know ‘Around Uwould be very close to the top. That song hits me deep every single time.

2. Their best, for me. Every aspect of it tells the story of change despite expectations of permanence. Finding the massive in the mundane. Honestly just thinking about it makes me emotional.

3. Around U is lyrically their most accomplished song.

Now the altar is a bed
    And now you're just a friend that once was mine
    Oh civilian, idling along...
    How can you understand that there's a whole world gone wrong?

The scene-setting. The switch from addressing the ex to the stranger in the street. The layers! The tears! Fuck.

dodoriazarbon, Marquis, Edu and 3 others like this.
  4. As a new fan, I’m struck by how deep their brand of innocuous sounding pop cuts. Their self-titled is now the one to beat for my album of the year. Even I’m surprised.

5. You nailed it. I still find new ways to interpret the lyrics, 5 years later.

Stopremix likes this.
  6. I've been playing this album at work this week and my CD guy says they sound like Haim, which I've taken to be a compliment of the highest quality.

Jacques, IEngineered, Ferk and 2 others like this.
  7. Dd doing a Peaches song though, taste!

8. I never heard the second album (because it wasn't released on CD), but I picked this up and really enjoy it.

Dr Pop likes this.
  9. ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛʜᴇ ꜰᴜʟʟ ᴇꜰꜰᴇᴄᴛꜱ
    ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ʜɪᴛ ɪᴛ ʜᴀʀᴅ
    ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ ᴛᴏ ᴅᴀɴᴄᴇ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍɪᴅᴅʟᴇ ᴏꜰ ᴀ ɢᴀʏ ʙᴀʀ
    [​IMG]

ᴏᴏʜ, ᴏᴏʜ-ᴏᴏʜ
    ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ, ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ'ꜱ ɴᴏᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ, ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ɪ ᴡᴀɴᴛ
    ʏᴇᴀʜ, ʏᴇᴀʜ
    [​IMG]

10. What I Want is one of my songs of the year. Such a bop.

11. "What I Want" blasted into the top 30 of my most played songs on Apple Music within a week. Queens of charting!!!

12. Heard What I Want for the first time about an hour ago.

oh my god

13. I'm angry that I didn't buy tickets to the London date and they've sold out because I desperately need to see them. I can't stop spinning the new album. It achieves the fine balance of breaking new ground while staying entirely true to them. And props to Silk Chiffon, which still sounds as fresh as the first listen with its sweet airiness ascending on a summer's day one year on.

lushLuck and IEngineered like this.
  14. Haters lost!

15. Finally made the time to really dig into the later half and the double punch of Loose Garment and Shooting Star at the end, hoo buddy. Fantastic stuff.

16. Sam

Sam

Checking this out after my friend nabbed us some tickets.

I must say I'm pleasantly surprised. The lead singer's voice always grated on me in the past but I'm enjoying it here.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Diet Pop!, IEngineered, Ferk and 2 others like this.
  17. Here is their Lollapalooza set (abridged a little I think). They sound incredible. Love the additional live production.

Edu, Sail On, slaybellz and 2 others like this.
  18. I love seeing them just thriving.

Laurence, 2014, slaybellz and 2 others like this.
  19. I really want know why they're covering Mr Brightside when Sometimes exists though.

VivaForever, Ferk and slaybellz like this.
  20. Their three albums are now amongst my favourites ever, and I only really discovered them like a month ago.

So obsessed.

IEngineered and Ferk like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.