Music Industry Piracy - Most Illegally Downloaded Acts of 2013 | The Popjustice Forum

Music Industry Piracy - Most Illegally Downloaded Acts of 2013

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Bobbyrae, Dec 31, 2013.

1. I found a list of the most illegally downloaded acts of 2013 today and found it very interesting. Clearly album sales are at an all time low. It is interesting to see that the most successful album sellers of 2013 are not necessarily the most pirated. For example One Direction are not at the very top but were among the top sellers of the year. I was also very surprised not to see Miley there.

If anyone has any other articles or statistics I would love to see some more as I found this on Thatgrapejuice which doesn't specify if these figures are just albums or also including singles.

[​IMG]

2. It's a rather arbitrary study because there is no way whatsoever to accurately track how many people have illegally obtained a song given how many sites and how many different ways there are of doing it.

3. TeenIdle

TeenIdle Guest

I really don't think there's an effective way to measure this. Maybe from certain services (UTorrent, etc.), but why would they report that?

And I think sales are the same in 2013 as in 2012. The main issue is that we're lacking a huge release like 21 was for 2012.

4. Poor Lady Gaga can't even get illegally downloaded these days. The decay! Decay!

5. ARTPOP - the new Spirit Indestructible?

6. They do it for television shows so why not for music as well?

True, and if there's a drop in sales it's because of streaming and not piracy.

7. I wouldn't pay money for most of those...

..and I wouldn't want them for free either, haha.

8. People will always buy music by their favourite acts. It's all the stuff they merely quite like that they'll get via other means..

9. I'd imagine that those figures are based on a smaller sample too. But given that it's on premium cable in the US, exclusive to one satellite TV provider in the UK, has a huge geek fanbase and absurdly long delays for availability on DVD, the most pirated show is a bit of a no-brainer anyway.

10. The figures don't reflect people who perhaps downloaded for free and then bought the CD afterwards. It happens! If an album leaks a month in advance, for example, I'll download it to listen earlier, but will still buy the CD once available to buy.

I'd quite like to see figures that reflect the number of times someone pays for the same song over and over again. ie. the single, the album containing the single, the deluxe re-issue containing the same song, the greatest hits 3 years later containing the same song, the best of the decade containing that same song, etc. I must've paid a % to something like Dead Or Alive's You Spin Me Round (Like A Record) 47,890 times.

11. Ha no, it's just him *and* me.

12. You're made for one another. I ship you guys like I ship TribalSpaceMan & BestFiction.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.