Music Industry

He/Him
There must be some very damning information circulating in the industry about him, and it must be imminent.
britney-i-hate-fucking-waiting.gif

he/him
One would think if it was a simple as him getting out of the business, he would put out a blanket statement ahead of all this suspicious press. Instead, he's letting it slow drip ambiguously which isn't really helping him any.

I would love for him to get backlash for being a sleazy music guy ("San Francisco Mayor, Scooter Braun" is not a reality I want), but I think the Taylorified lens that has been added to all of this is driving people to hope for something that might not be there.

I think the normalcy of what happened to Taylor gets lost - even if we don't think it should be normal - and thus people are already in a heightened mindset around these people that something similarly outrageous must be floating around, but like.. Scooter wasn't even the most damning individual in the selling of her masters.

Scott Borchetta basically helped raise Taylor from a little girl and went "oh lol fuck her" when presented with a huge amount of money to buy her masters and the label. That's the invasive power of money within the music industry. Again, while the merits of Taylor's goals are there, we have to remember it's not a uniquely sinister action done to her, because very few artists to begin with own their master recordings.

What happened between Taylor and Scooter just wasn't extraordinary enough to be meaningful within the music industry for Scooter himself to be alienated. Why would other record label heads who own the masters of others' work ostracize another man for doing just that? It's commonplace. So this idea of Scooter Braun always tittering on the edge of being EXPOSED! or OUTED! for something sinister feels like a fictional product of parasocial Swiftism than anything else.

Like.. Scooter Braun is sleazy in the way your average music exec guy is sleazy. The system that builds up Scooter Brauns doesn't discard of Scooter Brauns. It almost reads like he's failing upwards and getting to ditch his artists to be the CEO full-time.

For example, the Billboard report for Idina Menzel said her contract with Scooter actually expired back in January. So it doesn't particularly read like everyone fleeing, but like one or two big contract renewals are coming up and the results will likely reveal that Scooter is leaving SBProjects (and these big clients leaving SBProjects for new management).

I would love for him to get backlash for being a sleazy music guy ("San Francisco Mayor, Scooter Braun" is not a reality I want), but I think the Taylorified lens that has been added to all of this is driving people to hope for something that might not be there.

I think the normalcy of what happened to Taylor gets lost - even if we don't think it should be normal - and thus people are already in a heightened mindset around these people that something similarly outrageous must be floating around, but like.. Scooter wasn't even the most damning individual in the selling of her masters.

Scott Borchetta basically helped raise Taylor from a little girl and went "oh lol fuck her" when presented with a huge amount of money to buy her masters and the label. That's the invasive power of money within the music industry. Again, while the merits of Taylor's goals are there, we have to remember it's not a uniquely sinister action done to her, because very few artists to begin with own their master recordings.

What happened between Taylor and Scooter just wasn't extraordinary enough to be meaningful within the music industry for Scooter himself to be alienated. Why would other record label heads who own the masters of others' work ostracize another man for doing just that? It's commonplace. So this idea of Scooter Braun always tittering on the edge of being EXPOSED! or OUTED! for something sinister feels like a fictional product of parasocial Swiftism than anything else.

Like.. Scooter Braun is sleazy in the way your average music exec guy is sleazy. The system that builds up Scooter Brauns doesn't discard of Scooter Brauns. It almost reads like he's failing upwards and getting to ditch his artists to be the CEO full-time.

For example, the Billboard report for Idina Menzel said her contract with Scooter actually expired back in January. So it doesn't particularly read like everyone fleeing, but like one or two big contract renewals are coming up and the results will likely reveal that Scooter is leaving SBProjects (and these big clients leaving SBProjects for new management).

We shall see! I didn't assume this had anything to do with Taylor. He has enough shitty behavior outside of that whole saga for me to be unsurprised by his potential involvement in a scandal.

Still, one would assume if the news is truly as benign as changing careers...he would say that rather than let the narrative take a life of it's own.

Last edited:
she/her
This Variety article explains the whole management thing, as of right now it does seem like he’s just fully focusing on being CEO.

Also, I don’t think Taylor fans were necessarily expecting a huge scandal to eventually come out about him, that’s just what it seemed to everyone when all his major artists seemed to drop him in quick succession.

Maybe it’s nothing, but as has been said, a simple statement would’ve cleared up all this speculation.

It’s just odd to me that someone as press-hungry as him hasn’t come out with an official statement to downplay/counter all of these reports. I don’t think it’s a surprise to anyone that as his career evolves, he has less and less to do with artist management - especially on a 1:1 basis; he has a team for that - but I would think he’d want to get ahead of the optics of all this.

he/him
We shall see! I didn't assume this had anything to do with Taylor. He has enough shitty behavior outside of that whole saga for me to be unsurprised by his potential involvement in a scandal.

Still, one would assume if the news is truly as benign as changing careers...he would say that rather than let the narrative take a life of it's own.
I mentioned Taylor because no one would really be following this outside of that Scooter has played this villain role in her career for the last few years and thus 99% of the replies under any tweet about this read like "TAYVOODOO STRIKES AGAIN!," "KARMA IS THAT GIRL, LIKE!", "TOLD HIS WHITE COLLAR CRIMES TO THE FBI!!" ddd.

It's been a long time joke on pop forums that SBProjects isn't a successful management company outside of Ariana and Justin.

A restructuring of the company because they got bought and HYBE is now trying to dig further into the American market (they just bought QC that Lil Yachty and City Girls are signed to) would not be some major shift in pop music, even with Ariana and Justin as clients. No one's like "what's Ava Max's next move after this!?".

They've been shedding clients all year (see: Idina's contract ending in January, J Balvin in May, Demi's apparently ending last month). Maybe I'm just used to the melodrama in k-pop of when it's time for an artist to re-sign with their label (who act more like management companies) that this all looks a lot like those kind of shenanigans.

Yeah, the main reason I get the inkling something else is up is...if it was simply about him changing roles, why wouldn't some sort of an announcement or article have come out before the slow drip news of clients leaving him? He's a manager (and very conscious of his public image), he would have known how this looks.

He's always rubbed me the wrong way over the years hearing various things about him, and the situation with Taylor added another level to it (not so much his role in that specific masters situation, I think Scott was worse, but the fact that she felt so strongly about him being the last person on earth she'd want to own her work always seemed to allude to more that we might not know about).

Interested to see how this plays out.

One would think part of his appeal in being CEO of HYBE America is his personal connection to Justin and Ariana, two of the biggest popstars of their generation, so if they're no longer there, he's certainly losing something, regardless of how many sources tell us this is a natural restructuring.

he/him
One would think part of his appeal in being CEO of HYBE America is his personal connection to Justin and Ariana, two of the biggest popstars of their generation, so if they're no longer there, he's certainly losing something, regardless of how many sources tell us this is a natural restructuring.
To be fair, I 100% think Bieber is leaving and am up in the air if Ariana will leave since the PR language seems like she's trying to milk the negotiations for all she can get knowing she's likely the only cash cow left, but that's what I think all the PR fluff is for.

HYBE still owns SBProjects (recent job listings show them hiring new staff to accomodate the QC acquisition) and it doesn't look good on them if the messaging is "of course our two biggest stars are leaving us!".

The comments seem more like HYBE/SBProjects (and less so Scooter) trying to control the narrative but in like a "of course we're still discussing all possibilities and will tirelessly work to meet our artist's wishes as best as we can!" way and not in a "the guy in charge of everything is soon going to be exposed as a sex pest" way (don't quote me if he ends up being outed as one in a week's time dd).

I just think he'd be forced out of his position in HYBE America by the Korean board if some true scandal that put the businesses at some legal liability was coming and not just typical PR campaigns of famous people puffing their chest in negotiations.

Explain in pop terms (ie read and tell us the goss)
Check the tweets below it, Troy already did explain in pop terms.

More:

Pop Stars Aren’t Popping Like They Used To — Do Labels Have a Plan?​

https://www.billboard.com/pro/record-labels-adjust-expectations-pop-stars/

Misaligned incentives make the music business a zero-sum game​

https://midiaresearch.com/blog/misaligned-incentives-make-the-music-business-a-zero-sum-game
cover_image-1692284938.png

Ask A Music Critic: Why Aren’t There More Negative Album Reviews?​

https://uproxx.com/indie/maneskin-negative-album-reviews-why-arent-there-more/

TikTok launches premium-only ‘TikTok Music’ streaming service – and it’s licensed by all three majors​

https://www.musicbusinessworldwide....service-and-its-licensed-by-all-three-majors/

Last edited: