Musicals/Plays | Page 34 | The Popjustice Forum

Musicals/Plays

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wickedbruv, Mar 23, 2015.

1. LP

LP

Saw it last night and I felt the story was a bit weak. Why are all the bops cut in half whilst the ballads are performed in full ? Emilio was a dish. Made for a great night out but very much a tribute act with storyline thrown in.

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  2. I went to see the Amelie musical at Bradford Alhambra on Saturday and I'm pleased to say that it was really great. I was a little worried because it's one of my favourite films and the Broadway reviews had been middling but I loved it! I think it's changed a lot since the American version which I think didn't take enough cues from the film in terms of style and music.

Grease tonight. My expectations are...low.

stuaw, Terminus and scottdisick94 like this.
  3. Has anyone seen Made In Dagenham? I was recently in an amateur production of it and although I obviously didn’t get to see it I just thought the music was fab (Busy Woman, This Is What We Want and the title track are the best bangers if anyone fancies a listen on Spotify) and it was genuinely really funny. I felt it seemed much more fun and charming than the movie, which I definitely like, but is quite a bit more serious. The musical is just a bit of a classic British laugh. I’d love to see a movie adaptation with Gemma Arterton reprising her role because her voice is great on the soundtrack. It just seems a bit of a forgotten musical and a movie seems very unlikely !

4. Decided to catch a final show on my last night in New York on Saturday and decided on King Kong. It's actually really good! The story was great, it wasn't overloaded with songs and it was visually stunning.

Tribal Spaceman likes this.
  5. My friend is a huge musical fan and said the same, she suggested a couple of the songs being removed would make a huge difference and allow for more character development. She also said they'd softened the satire too, which is a shame. I do hope to see it some day.

HollyDunnSomething likes this.
  6. Mean Girls is high key awful.

7. I just saw Come From Away and I thought it was magnificent. Jubilant and heartbreaking in equal measure. Awesome songs. And I love that there wasn’t really any main character and every actor had a number of roles but every single persons acting was so good that there was never any confusion over who they were playing at any giving time. The storylines and character journeys wove in and out of one another seamlessly. I actually wept pretty much from beginning to end, if not from sadness then from
    joy.

It’s one of those rare musicals that made me feel like this story could only be told through a stage musical. A movie wouldn’t work and the music just complete complements the emotional journey of the characters and heightens the audience’s feelings. This is a story that feels as though it has to be told in this way.

My one criticism is the set. Having recently seen Amelie, where the band were on stage but were very much apart of the performance, I couldn’t really see the reasoning behind having the band just plonked on the stage. I liked the trees but I felt the stage lights being visible on the trees detracted from their effectiveness a bit. I think a pretty bare stage with just the trees either side would have been fine.

But yeah, brilliant show. Definitely would recommend it if you get the chance !

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    magictreehouse and Trinu 3.0 like this.
  8. ainssssss yes, I saw Come From Away twice and I choked up during so many moments.

The feeling of urgency through the whole show has you on edge and then it all explodes with

Waterfalls.

scottdisick94 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.