Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Album Discussion | Page 2708 | The Popjustice Forum

Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Album Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by rofo, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I don't get how that works. In Germany there's at least 4 different companies named "MKS" and they seem to coexist peacefully.

2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

Mutya Keisha Siobhan is owned by Sacred Three LLP (https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/010998185), which is the partnership they own, right? So that's fine.

Presumably the issue with "MKS" is the risk that somebody might accuse them of passing off - it's not necessarily that they'd definitely not be able to use it but it's not worth the risk of someone claiming trademark misuse.

3. I'm purely talking about Crown's reaction to Keisha trying to get the name and didn't imply otherwise...

4. Can't they be called 'The Sugababes'?

5. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

No. Crown would be able to argue that "The Sugababes" is confusingly similar to the registered mark "Sugababes".

DoggySwami likes this.
  6. Just release your album under the name 'The Origibabes', 'The Booted' or 'Sugababies'.

It's going to flop no matter what your name is.

Voicething, LykkeLi and _Gru_ like this.
  7. SBK

SBK

The Sugalumps

AfternoonsInUtopia and andru like this.
  8. how about sacred three?

9. I think they would get even MORE ridicule if they used that as their name. However, as an album title it would be nice, though--I'd support that, but as a band name? No.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
    Uno, SBK, beyoncésweave and 3 others like this.
  10. I'm just talking about Crown fighting for the trademark and its use, my point is that the name "Sugababes" is currently in use as a new revenue stream is generated, regardless of where that revenue goes.

11. This argument is so bloody pointless.

12. The longer they wait the harder it will be for them achieving any success. If they ever release anything they would of being together for a few years already and somone will more than likely want to leave the group going by their past history.

Leopold likes this.
  13. What about the Splenda®babes?

andru likes this.
  14. Sugababes X?

15. Why not vote in the Sugababes Discography Rate while we pass the time, friends? It'll be a more productive use of your time than trying to come up with alternate names!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    londonrain, Uno and kal like this.
  16. SBK

SBK

I agree, even if they are ~the originals~ people will probably be like... "another Sugababe line-up????"

It may turn out okay, but I think the name is associated with so much drama and churning out members, it'll only distract from the girls and the music they put out.

xtophermorrison likes this.
  17. Does the name really matter? Wherever they go and on radio they will always be announced as the original Sugababes. So it's not like people wouldn't know who MKS are. I think they should just release something to keep fans interested at least.

andru and believeagain like this.
  18. If I were them I wouldn't want to go anywhere near the name either, it seems like a lot more hassle than it's worth but clearly there's a reason they think it's worth fighting for. It's not going to help them in my opinion because the "Sugababes" brand is such a joke now. It's just associated with catfights, multiple line-up changes and there's this idea that all members are disposable. That's not a legacy to continue.

I like Mutya Keisha Siobhan as a name because it encapsulates the idea of them being 3 very different girls/voices, individuals coming together. But it's a horrible name for a band, because most will not remember it or know how to spell it. I would be thinking about coming up with a new name - or putting these same efforts into (legally?) being able to call themselves MKS.

_Gru_ likes this.
  19. How about if they added a dot between each letter? M.K.S. ? I'm still shocked if this is what has kept them from releasing any music for so many years since Flatline...

20. I bet Keisha is wishing she went solo now.

Would have avoided all this legal drama. And she had good publicity at the time with her demos.

Larsen and _Gru_ like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.