Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Album Discussion | Page 363 | The Popjustice Forum

Mutya Keisha Siobhan - Album Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by rofo, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Sung to the tune of Sugar, Sugar, if anybody wondered. From the real summer of -69.

2. LJB

LJB

Re: The original Sugababes are back.

How anyone could associate 2.0 material with primarily Heidi and not the two people who that music revolved around creatively, vocally and visually - I do not know. She's inconsequential.

3. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Heidi was an active part of the group though. And if she hadn't joined when she did things may have turned out very differently.

4. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Maybe they can just call themselves '1.0'?

5. XXX

XXX

One Touch or Catfights + Spotlights. I can't really choose but would probably go with One Touch, I love how the songs sound old and maybe a bit dated but at the same time still sound fresh (probably makes no sense). Both albums are great to play in the fall though.

6. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

My love for the Sugas is sort of crazy.

2.0 is without doubt the best line-up, but my fave albums are One Touch/Catfights, but then my friend won a competition for Sugas 4.0 to come perform at his birthday party so I got to dance with them, and About A Girl is one of my favourite songs that any of the Sugas have been involved with!

7. Solenciennes

Solenciennes Staff Member

It's stupid that I got excited about this, but reading Siobhan post "Doing the limbo to D'banj Oliver Twist. That's what happens when 3 generations meet for my mums birthday. Lengendary!" made me smile 'cause of Keisha being in the video.

8. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

If they come back as a new band Keisha and Mutya will sing them to remember their work together, and if they come back as Sugababes won't be weird as people will take it as if Siobhan was doing a cover.

Those songs were written by Keisha and Mutya too, so they have all the right to sing them and invite whoever they want to it. If Heidi is not part of this anymore is because she's earned it. She's had the group for her own since 2009, so now let's allow other people to take over.

And no, thankfully Siobhan singing them won't be as awkward as Amelle's 'I know I don't have anything to do with these girls but my voice sounds like Mutya's so let's get on with it.'

Their own material is whatever they've done over the years, so they have all the right in the world to sing it.

9. Solenciennes

Of course they have the right - but it'll be like when Amelle was covering Mutya's parts - she might technically be able to do the job, but it's not the same. I'd love to hear Siobhan sing Heidi's parts, but it wouldn't be right and they're not just reforming to do covers of their old songs and milk money out of a reunion tour - they're releasing new music and I think the focus should be on that. So yeah, they are more than entitled to sing their old hits, but it's not a 2.0 reunion so it wouldn't feel right, at least not to me.

10. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Why the hell would they even need to sing 2.0 songs? If they have 2 albums (One Touch and the new one) they can just sing all the singles from the albums plus some album tracks, that's more than enough.

11. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Who said that? I'm just saying, If Keisha and Mutya want to sing Stronger again, why not? Specially when it's completely fine for Heidi to sing it with two perfect strangers.

12. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Read my post again - I said I associate it 'strongly' with Heidi, not 'primarily'. Just like I associate it strongly with Keisha and Mutya - and yes, I do find it weird and awkward when 4.0 perform 2.0 material too, although probably less so because Amelle has been in the group for so long now.

13. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

It's fair to say that 1.0 would be more justifiably 'entitled' to perform 2.0 material than 4.0 ever could be, but I don't want them to. I seriously think this is about coming back original and new and fresh for all three members. None of them want re-visit anything other than the original sound of their vocals. It's about new songs, not old ones. Anyone looking forward to Siobhan singing Push The Button will be disappointed.

14. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

This is exactly what I was trying to say, but you put it much better. I also agree with you about Amelle (and the same goes for Jade singing Keisha's parts). The songs lost something without those voices, which is probably part of the reason why the public don't connect with 4.0.

15. Re: The original Sugababes are back.

Yeah! I didn't realize until now! How weird/amazing is that?

16. Solenciennes

Yeah, Heidi can sing her old songs with Amelle and Jade, but the point is that they don't sound the same because they are not the same people who sang them originally. Similarly, I don't want to hear Siobhan sing Freak Like Me's chorus or try and emulate Heidi's part of Round Round. Just because they can, doesn't mean they should. If Keisha and Mutya want to sing their old songs and divide up Heidi's parts between them, then by all means, but it still won't be the same as hearing the original song and that's why I think they should avoid old material with a bargepole. Sing songs from One Touch if they must and focus on new material - it's about moving forwards, not looking backwards.

17. LJB

LJB

At the end of the day, those are Mutya and Keisha's songs. Mutya and Keisha are the Original Sugababes - of course they have the right to sing their own songs. There is no comparison between the entitlement Keisha and Mutya have, and the entitlement Heidi has. None.

That said, I agree that Siobhan is better than covering Heidi. Fortunately, there voices are so great that they could rearrange the vocals and probably better the songs, being a sum of the respective parts instead of 'covering' anything. I don't think TIMW would suit 1.0 - much less as Mutya wasn't much a part of that album. But Angels and Three? Abso-fucking-loutley. They are fantastic Sugababes albums and deserve to continue to be sung by the actual Sugababes. Resigning them to the past or a tribute act would be a tragedy.

The 3 of them doing a harmony over Heidi's awful 'me' in Stronger would be lovely.

18. Solenciennes

I disagree completely. Those are Mutya, Keisha and Heidi's songs. They're all entitled to sing them with whoever they like but it'll never be the same unless the three of them sing them together again. Heidi has just as much entitlement to them as Keisha and Mutya. My own opinion is that, if they must sing songs that not all of them were there for, then they should split the discography at the majority point. Heidi and Amelle get to sing 3.0-4.0 material and Mutya and Keisha get 1.0-2.0 - but I still think it's a dumb idea. Angels and Three are great albums that ought to be sung by the actual Sugababes who originally sang them - just because Siobhan was a 1.0 member doesn't give her more of a right to sing Heidi's songs!? You can't say Heidi doesn't have the right to sing songs she sang in the first place but say that Siobhan does, that's a contradiction.

19. LJB

LJB

Clearly I'm talking about Heidi and 4.0. If she wants to sing them solo, I chuckle, but go ahead.

But 1.0 are the Sugababes. I've said before, the 'Sugababes' are an image and a vocal harmony, the heart of which will always be Heidi and Mutya. 1.0 are this. They conceived this. They are not separate entities. This is the entire reason the perception of the 'current' line-up changed so drastically with the ousting of Keisha. That tragic last element of 'Sugababes' in spite of the terrible material (and at this point, it was merely her voice), was gone.

20. Solenciennes

Take it you meant to type Keisha and Mutya there... I'm not really understanding your post or its relevance to what I just said. Paint it any way you like but singing material that didn't feature all 3 of the 1.0 line up is singing a cover version, because it's not the original three voices singing the song. Heidi is not somehow a lesser individual just because Keisha and Mutya had been there longer - it's that precise attitude that caused Keisha to get fired because she deemed herself more important than her bandmates and they got sick of it, or at least that's how I interpreted that situation. Siobhan, Keisha and Mutya should sing what Siobhan, Keisha and Mutya sang in the past and what they will sing in the future; they shouldn't sing with Heidi, Keisha and Mutya did because other than satisfying curiosity of what that would sound like, it's not helping them grow as a band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.