My band is on Spotify | The Popjustice Forum

My band is on Spotify

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jsd, Dec 11, 2009.

1. jsd

jsd

We don't officially get Spotify in the USA, but I've heard great things about it, so I decided I needed to check it out. Maybe find out about getting my music on it. I was reading their web pages and it turns out they automatically get everything from certain sources. Guess what, my album is on there already, and I didn't even have to lift a finger!

I can't even legally listen to it, but here it is for those of you in other, less backwards, countries.

http://open.spotify.com/album/1ww57sAv7VAIns8NcF6XzA

If you like synthpop/electro/dance/rock you may find it to your liking. Some things we were thinking of while making it: Goldfrapp, Depeche Mode, Curve, Garbage, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, Ladytron, Girls Aloud, Front 242, Kate Bush, Gary Numan, Nine Inch Nails... among others.

2. Jesus Christ! Are you me?

I may have to join Spotify just to hear this now.

3. jsd

jsd

4. I like your sound. The singer sounds like Madonna on her best days.

5. While listening to this I sometimes thought, "when's the famous song coming?", forgetting that this wasn't some old classic record Spotify has at last made me access, but something contemporary. So I guess it makes the album low-profile but high-quality?! I like it a lot.

Even if it's nothing like it, "Torture" makes me think of Evanescence with the shared male/female vocal. I'd love to hear more like that.

Re: your avatar, jsd - I bumped into that genius once in Clapham. It was her choreographer's show in 1989, and she was in my way in the stairs in the break. So sweet and wonderful.

(I've some Spotify invites, so if anybody needs it they can PM me with their e-mail.)

6. I'm a fan of JSD. He should remix Annie!

7. In all honesty I thought this would be crap, I'm pleasantly surprised - keep up the good world!

8. jsd

jsd

Thank you all for your kind comments. It's been really hard to get any visibility for the record, considering I have no time or money for marketing. I think the Spotify model is really great - you get to listen to the whole thing for free, and yet we still get paid. What's not to like?

@AugustMoon - when I was writing Torture I was thinking of Nitzer Ebb. Before we did the shouted vocals I played "Join In The Chant" to get Samantha in the right frame of mind.

9. Ooh, good! Nitzer Ebb was one of those acts I saw much about in the NME in the 80s, but had no chance of hearing. Now when I can, I actually prefer Bass Kittens for the moment. Like absintheboy I like your music more than I thought I would, but at another level - going from "probably OK" to craving it.

I was slightly wrong about the male/female thing. Evanescence had a guest vocalist for the song I most had in mind - Bring Me to Life. And your Grow Up is maybe more similar to that one anyway.

10. AustenT

AustenT Guest

The singer sounds like Madonna!

11. jsd

jsd

Funny, I used to absolutely HATE Madonna... In college I was into Kate Bush and you couldn't be seen to like Madonna if you liked Kate. You had to pick your side in the holy war. Now, I really want to do a cover of "Burning Up".

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.