NAMIE AMURO Discography Rate 「Part One」【...】 | Page 24 | The Popjustice Forum

NAMIE AMURO Discography Rate 「Part One」【...】

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by BEST FICTION, Jan 22, 2018.

1. better days is like my last score below 7. Everything from here on out will hurt!
    Let's not fight used to be one of my fav b-sides actually. Most gutted by break the rules leaving, but happy it crossed the 7 line.

evilsin and BEST FICTION like this.
  2. I swear I usually don't but some of Namie's earlier ones just don't do it for me ... I remember finding Storm just a little too offbeat for me especially in between two songs I really liked.

Shamefully I must admit the pronunciation was the main reason break the rules didn't get a higher score than 7 from me. I'm normally not phased by that kind of thing but as @otenkiame said, the frequency in this particular song makes it a bit harder to ignore.

[​IMG]
    The suspense!!
    I'm gonna try to write more commentary in part 2. I was a bit too shy this time.

Hang in there ...

3. I agree with this top 40.
    I didn't get to vote this round but I'm hoping and expecting Body Feels Exit, Chase the Chance, You're My Sunshine, say the word, and I will to take the top spots.

4. You should make a gif of 2:33-2:36.

5. Love this performance!
    [​IMG]

6. Thank you!

That's the gif I will post when I'm mad because my faves were eliminated too early.

7. “break the rules” breaking the 7 point mark. I’m proud of y’all for not butchering it.

That performance is so good. It’s a shame the rest of the tour her voice cracks whenever she tries to go for any kind of high note.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
    EachSmallStep and BEST FICTION like this.
  8. [​IMG]
    Where did you go?
    I look up at the stars
    Are you doing well?
    I'm worried about you
    For eternity...

[​IMG]
    lovin' it (with VERBAL): 7.14
    Highest Score: 11
    (@evilsin), 9.5 (@Osiris)
    Lowest Score: 2 (@vikeyeol), 3 (@yuuurei)

"lovin it" was released in 2001 as the third single from avex's VARIOUS ARTISTS FEATURING songnation released as a charity album for the victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks. The song would later be featured on Namie's LOVE ENHANCED ♥ single collection. The song was made with VERBAL from m-flo who would later collaborate with Namie on the SUITE CHIC project, as well as other singles which will be in later rates. It peaked at #8 on the Oricon Weekly Charts.

The song is a positive, uplifting up-tempo number about appreciating the beauty of life. Cutlery has converted, "Is Namie even religious? Anyway this song made me a Christian." Vikeyeol is not lovin' it, "Awful and boring." Otenkiame has got one thing on their mind, "Namie stopped working with TK, only to come back a year later to record this. It does sound dated, but I really like the melodies and the closing ad libs Namie does. VERBAL's rapping is nice too, even if it does sound like they're trying to sell McDonald's to me." Get me a Big Mac with no cheese while you're other there, will ya?

EachSmallStep gets technical, "The seeds of Suite Chic! Like how high she expands her range and use of head voice. Wish her lower register was used to better effect though. When she presses from her nose on belts, it can get rough. Despite that, the breakout final chorus to the poignant last lines give me chills." And send photo uses his psychic, rate knowing powers to predict who gave this an 11, "@evilsin, bless his heart."

And I'll leave you with evilsin's comments, "Okay, Tetsuya Komuro is a freaking genius and we all know it, but god-fucking-damn, boooooy! The ability of this song to make me weak in my knees, wet in my eyes, warm in my heart and simply floored is unparalleled in this part of the rate. I looove VERBAL and his addition isn't ignored, as he helps break up a song a bit. And the fatality comes in the last chorus where Namie becomes one with the choir and ascends to her rightful throne behind the pearly gates and sings simple devastating lala's to us rendering us helpless in the presence of a goddess."

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  9. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    EachSmallStep, vague, Osiris and 6 others like this.
  10. I FUCKING TOLD YOU, YOU HEATHENS! YOU ARE NOT WORTHY OF BEING THE SUBJECTS OF NAMIE THE GODDESS!!!

EachSmallStep, vague, Osiris and 9 others like this.
  11. YOU TWO DON'T EXIST TO ME!!!

vikeyeol, vague, Osiris and 9 others like this.
  12. [​IMG]
    I'm so sorry! This hymn from Father Verbal and Sister Namie was just too virtuous for me. I'll try to repent.

EachSmallStep, vague, Osiris and 8 others like this.
  13. I've been a bad Christian and gave this a 6.5, now I feel bad bc it was @evilsin 's 11
    [​IMG]

vague, Osiris, send photo and 4 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]
    "Pleased to meet you" this is the infamous lie
    that everyone in the old days used well

[​IMG]
    LET'S DO THE MOTION: 7.16
    Highest Score:
    10 (@otenkiame), 9 (@FINISH LINE, @Cutlery)
    Lowest Score: 5 (@yuuurei), 5.5 (@evilsin, @Gintoki)

"LET'S DO THE MOTION" is the opening track to Namie's 2nd album, SWEET 19 BLUES, released in 1996. The song is upbeat, features some organ, some chanting, some politic messages. It's really all over the place but that could be to it's benefit! Rap queen Namie also makes a return on this song.
    Evilsin isn't a fan of the mish mash of genres, "This is a bit different with it's fusion of R'n'B and Rock, although I'm not particularly fond of it." EachSmallStep thinks that this is a story all about how Namie's life got flipped turned upside down, "The chorus reaching higher hits the spot. Some Fresh Prince nostalgia lol? Sometimes the quick singing seems disjointed to the music, but it’s bizarre in a good way."
    Otenkiame is ready to cry FIGHT with Namie, "LOVE this badass Namie. She's calling out for revolution, and I'm ready for the fight. All I can say is that the rapping coupled with the choir-backed gospel chorus is absolutely marvelous." Cutlery is ready for the revolution, and not the one with Crystal Kay, "There are strong mystical-ambient vibes during the intro, which evolve into a pretty sweet instrumental paired with Namie’s revolution-themed, almost-rapped lyrics which make for a rewarding listen."
    And send photo is gonna have to wait til tomorrow cause I'm feeling a bit gassy, "@BEST FICTION let’s ;)".

Here's Fonie Chan taking us to church!

15. That song was... a choice
    Also I fear for my 11!

send photo and BEST FICTION like this.
  16. [​IMG]

17. I feel like we have someone that will really enjoy the next result.....

[​IMG]

Me wanna peace
    Me wanna love
    Me wanna dance w/z natty dread
    I want to go barefoot across the sand until morning

[​IMG]
    Me love peace!!: 7.18
    Highest Score: 10 (@Gintoki), 9 (@send photo, @vague, @MarkB, @eliminathan)
    Lowest Score: 1 (@yuuurei), 5.5 (@vikeyeol)

"me love peace!!" was originally released in 1997 on Namie's third album, Concentration 20. "me love peace!!" is Namie's first attempt to work a reggae sound into her music and Bob Marley is QUAKING! It combines traditional reggae sounds with electric guitar and some pretty aggressive vocals over the chorus... Well aggressive by reggae standards. A Natty Dread is basically the personification of a Rastafarian with dreads who loves reggae music, according to Wikipedia. So the song is about Namie going to the island and just really loving it.

Gintoki wants to play to Jamaica and party with Natty Dread & Namie, "I know....level of engrish is painful but..... me love this song." yuuurei is almost speechless, "yikes". Cutlery love peace too, "I was expecting a tragic mess given the kii title, but instead I got a pretty solid and chill jam!" It feels so wrong, but it feels so right for vague, "i feel a lil bit problematic for liking this so much, but it's great!!"

Evilsin is just got the shock of his life, "Ooh, now this is interesting. I was fooled by the laid back beginning, so that chorus with guitars got me by surprise." send photo can see the song's faults but doesn't mind, "I know it’s tragic but I love it anyway." EachSmallStep doesn't mind Namie's unconventional sentence structure, "A reggae inspired track sprinkled with Engrish. The refrain belts cut through nicely."

And otenkiame is outside of their comfort zone with this song, "Reggae Namie to bring in her native island roots. I'm not the biggest reggae fan, so I'm glad it's still got pop elements in it. In any case, Namie's cheery vocals against the laidback sound are quite a great combo!"

A performance by Yukiko Horii who couldn't even say Natty Dread without cracking up:

And also a real performance for Namie cause it's on YouTube:

18. [​IMG]

Maybe there is a god after all!!

However I can see I'm severely in the minority for disliking this song so I want to apologize to all of you who like it for putting it down a lot. You're all valid and important.

But the song sucks.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  19. A couple of the underwhelming Genius 2000 songs could really leave now...

BEST FICTION and MarkB like this.
  20. It's Namie herself, but y'all murdered her at #40!

RUNAWAY, EachSmallStep, vague and 6 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.