Namie Amuro | Page 3 | The Popjustice Forum

Namie Amuro

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Osiris, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Well no, I'm not, as I've already said I just think that some of the other A-sides are far greater than the ones that made it on there, such as Violet Sauce, Come and The Speed Star. I wasn't expecting Hide & Seek and the like to make it, but I was expecting the songs that I have already mentioned to be there, especiallt Speed Star since it isn';t on anything else but the single.

The Best Fiction tour DVD will be vbloody amazing though!

2. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Thank you Osiris, I was mesmerised by your avatar ages ago, so I tracked down the artist. She's awesome, and Wild is definitely a tune and a half.
    She's stunning too.

3. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

You're welcome! I've been trying to pimp the j-pop queens for years here (with avatars and stuff). haha

WILD and Dr. leaked!

Dr. feels like three songs mixed together.

4. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

'Dr.' is LOADS better than 'WILD'! I like the latter a lot but it's missing something... 'Dr.' is utter perfection. If this doesn't make the new album... I'll be mad!

5. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Namie stated in a recent interview that she hopes to release a brand new original album this year and the production is starting during the BEST FICTION tour. So Dr. will certainly be on it as she will probably release only one more single before the album. She also stated that the music direction of the new album will be different than "PLAY" and the theme for this year will be "WILD".

6. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

That's interesting... only two singles? I assume there'll be another AA and then the album but that seems risky to me. PLAY was preceeded by four singles. Kuu is flopping with TRICK which only had two single-A-side singles and a double-A. Hmm.

7. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Dr is....bizarre. But quite amazing at the same time.

8. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

The reason Kuu is "flopping" is not the lack of singles released before the album, but:
    1. The "rotten fluid scandal" that damaged her career (forever?)
    2. The quality of the singles (TABOO was amazing, Stay With Me generic and MOON was another poor rehash of 4 HOT WAVE, after FREAKY that was already lackluster)
    3. Avex milking her: a new album out every year, compilation albums released every other month (2 more to come this year) and so on.

As for PLAY, the album had 4 singles but only one was really popular, Baby Don't Cry. At the time, it was her most popular singles since 2001's Say The Word. White Light/Violet Sauce and Can't Sleep, Can't Eat, I'm Sick/Ningyo were minor hits but more than one year old when the album was released and Funky Town didn't have much impact. Thanks to the video being sent to the music channels, Hide & Seek did create some buzz around the album, however. She might do the same with the current album. I think one or possibly two singles can be enough if they are huge hits (60s70s80s).

9. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Where can I hear Dr. please?
    And rotten fluids, whutttt?

10. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Kumi Koda said during a radio interview that she heard after the age of 35 a woman's ambiotic fluid goes rotten. A lot of people took great offence to her remark and there was a bit of a scandal.

Wayyyy OTT if you ask me, but I guess different cultures have different views and stuff...

11. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

HA!
    What the hell? There wouldn't be any amniotic fluid unless she was having a baby...
    That's less SCANDALOUS and more... bizarre? to me.

12. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

These 2 songs are going to take many listens to figure out what exactly is going on. They are very schizo, but I think I could grow to like them - there's potential. This is a good style for her.

Wait. I think I just loved WILD. Yep. So just Dr. needs more probing. I dont' even think Dr. even qualifies as a proper cohesive "song"...

13. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Sounding kinda like eccentric, unhinged sequels to 'WHAT A FEELING' and 'Pink Key' respectively. Which is a very good thing.

She is starting to look a bit like a progeria case tho.

14. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Like I said before, Dr. sounds like several songs mixed together.

Namie showing progeria? She's 31 and looks like she's 10 years younger!

15. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

The chorus of Dr. is good but I really dislike the "song" in its entirety - there's several different directions it wants to go in and feels very conflicted. I get that it's trying to be eclectic, original, etc. with the arrangement, but it ends up being messy. The weird classical marching whatever section is ridiculously out of place. It's like someone dared her to stick it in for 50 bucks.

That said, I love WILD. It should be longer!

16. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

A good video could help Dr. "making sense". Like each parts of the song getting a different treatement in the video.

But I don't have high expectations since Avex doesn't throw much money in Namie's videos.

17. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Really? I thought New Look and Rock Steady looked like money and effort were put in. What a Feeling looked somewhat cheap but in a good 80's throwback kind of way that made it work. But yeah I guess alot of her previous videos are kind of low-budget (but at least she can dance!)

Also, I just relized how much I love the How to Be a Girl video, especially in glorious HD.

18. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Because Vidal Sassoon paid for the 60s70s80s videos!

Anyway, here's a youtube link to Dr. for those who haven't heard it in full yet:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH_2_SngOZY

19. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

Dr. is more in the vein of Do Me More/Sexy Girl, isn't it? They're all quite mid-tempo electro-r'n'b, yet still quite dancey type tracks.

20. Re: Namie Amuro - WILD/Dr. (New Double A-Side Single)

I'm not exactly loving Dr. to be entirely honest. The drumroll part is somewhat annoying to me. I do like the fusion of different styles in the vein of Luvotomy, but I don't think it's as cohesive as that song was. WILD, on the other hand, sounds very promising. I'm impressed. I'm liking the sort of electro style she's heading toward. WHAT A FEELING was a masterpiece and I'm glad to see she's doing more music along those lines. Sexy Girl and Do Me More didn't exactly blow me away, but if more songs sound like WAF and WILD, then I'll be rather impressed. I think Dr. will definitely grow on me as well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.