Natasha Bedingfield Discography Rate | #7 - Her declaration of independence | Page 12 | The Popjustice Forum

Natasha Bedingfield Discography Rate | #7 - Her declaration of independence

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Butterfly, Mar 19, 2020.

1. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

Do not click this

[​IMG]
    Stumble

Average Score: 7.16

Highest Scores: 9.8 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 9 x 2 (Butterfly, Sail On)
    Lowest Scores: 5 x 2 (DJHazey, Epic Chocolat), 5.5 x 1 (pop3blow2)

Unwritten continues to bleed as Stumble becomes our next cut. A new track for the North American edition of the album, one wonders if it was a cast-off from the album's initial sessions or if it was recorded post the album's UK edition being finalised? It's great nonetheless, and a part of me thinks it would have been a great single - there's something about the title that just feels so 00s classic? It seems most don't have the same level of affection for it though, as it becomes just the 4th track to leave from Unwritten.

Epic Chocolat (5) keeps it simple in their dislike (Dispensable).

pop3blow2 (5.5) inexplicably dislikes this song, handing out his lowest score in the entire rate - including the features section (This song just doesn’t work. It’s almost frustratingly & annoyingly generic).

RUNAWAY (9.8) once again thinks Natasha's tracklist selection game was off (another bonus track that got a deserved album placing on the international versions. Love this song, and how lowkey and cute it is).

[​IMG]
    Backyard

Average Score: 7.18

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (Verandi), 9 x 1 (abael)
    Lowest Scores: 5 x 1 (HurricaneDrunk), 5.5 x 3 (tylerc904, myblood, Epic Chocolat)

N.B. isn't spared today either as we say goodbye to Backyard. It's a rare N.B. moment where everything just seems to work? Fitting then, that it made the Pocketful of Sunshine tracklist too.

Verandi (10) thinks it's a discography highlight (My favourite from the NB album. Terrific production and beautiful vocals. The middle-8 is probably her finest moment ever. It's very Enya oop).

pop3blow2 (8) doesn't think the track is suited to Natasha (This is nice, but almost feel like it would be better for a different singer).

RUNAWAY (7.5) takes issue with the lyrics (I remember really liking this song, but the chorus lyrics upon re-listen are beyond banal….the PLASTIC BAZOOKA…..girl really?), where as OspreyQueen (8) doesn't seem to mind them (Okay this one is surprisingly lovely, and the “plastic bazooka” line isn’t that bad in context). fatyoshi (8) is also yet to recover from that lyric (At the time of writing this I had yet to recover from “Plastic Bazooka”. At the time that y'all are reading this in an elimination post or some shit I probably still haven't).

[​IMG]
    We're All Mad

Average Score: 7.21
    Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (DJHazey), 9 x 1 (Robsolete)
    Lowest Scores: 4 x 1 (fatyoshi)

We're All Mad is our final cut in a bleak day for Unwritten. I do actually take issue with this one going so soon, the song doesn't really go anywhere but it's subtlety is charming - and the lyrics are some of her best.

Oh, I think the lady did protest too much
    She wouldn't take the flower from my hand
    She only saw the shadow of my circumstance
    Perception can describe what makes a man

But I guess the standards are high as we edge towards the top 40.

pop3blow2 (8) notes its outlier status as a subtle track (Kind of a less punchy ‘Unwritten’, production wise…. but fairly effective in its intent).

RUNAWAY
    (8.5) is big with the nostalgia (this song had me back in my 15 year old feelings. I love this song, and it brought me right back to highschool. It’s really crazy listening to this album again, lemme tell you).

OspreyQueen (7) takes issue with the chorus and slides in a Marina reference (Not a huge fan of the proto-Love + Fear lyrics but this is cute) - is it a Popjustice.com thread without a Love + Fear mention? Its impact knows no bounds.

3. I've actually been pretty ok with these last sets of eliminations. I just tried to listen to 'Stumble' again & couldn't get through it. I probably could've scored it lower! I have an oddly visceral reaction to it.

vague likes this.
  4. [​IMG]

vague, pop3blow2 and RUNAWAY like this.
  5. Wow, it was going perfectly and I was ready to say this is the best a discography rate has gone for me in quite some time but the We're All Mad elimination had to come in and put me in my place. Thinking about it, I'm not surprised because it's probably not that exciting sonically to most people to offset the basicity of the lyrics which we all know is catnip to me.

The only other glaring thing was @Verandi calling out the BOP that is Pirate Bones in one of his comments!

Butterfly likes this.
  6. My two beautiful 10s from NB being eliminated before that racket is a tragedy indeed.

Trust, y'all will be dealt with my plastic bazooka.

Butterfly and DJHazey like this.
  7. OspreyQueen

OspreyQueen Staff Member

I don't understand the outrage towards the plastic bazooka line? Little kids always have Nerf guns and stuff lying around in their backyards.

vague and Butterfly like this.
  8. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I would've never guessed the Top 40 that we're about to have. I genuinely can't predict what's about to leave and what's not. Backyard is easily one of N.B.'s best, even with a few clunky lyrics, and there was absolutely no need for an Unwritten cull just yet. It's all quite puzzling.

9. I'd take these but everything listed here is a 6/6.5 still.

Wild Horses
    The One That Got Away
    Stepping Stone
    Can't Fall Down
    Love Looks Like

10. 2 eliminations today, along with a breakdown of what's left when we hit the top 40!

I'll stop being a flop and update the results post on the first page with the order everything has left.

After a string of bad luck, Unwritten is the only album spared in the next two updates.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    pop3blow2 and vague like this.
    [​IMG]
    Try

Average Score: 7.22

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 9 x 1 (Sail On)
    Lowest Scores: 4 x 2 (RainOnFire, fatyoshi)

Try becomes just the 3rd Strip Me track to vacate the rate. Why? I'm not entirely sure. It's not the most interesting song ever but it hits all the right notes, another situation where I'm sure this could've been a huge hit for some boring man and yet it's tucked away here as an album track. Perhaps a testament to that is the fact that some random sync over Sam Bailey's The X Factor audition seems to have led a ton of people to the song online - makes you wonder how her music could have performed with more exposure.

pop3blow2 (8.5) seems to like the song, but expected better from the credits (As much I love all the talent here (Danielle, Shanks, & Natasha)… this song falls a little short for me).

RUNAWAY (10) thinks the track is perfect (amazing. So amazing. Her vocals and her emotion really resonated with me here. I loved every second of this song).​

OspreyQueen (7.5) seems to like the song despite finding it a tad generic (I love the lyrics even if they’re a bit on-the-nose, but I feel like I’ve heard this song a million times before).

[​IMG]
    Lay Down

Average Score: 7.24

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (myblood), 9 x 3 (pop3blow2, Sail On, DJHazey)
    Lowest Scores: 5 x 1 (abael), 5.5 x 1 (Robsolete)

Last track to miss out on the top 40 is N.B.'s hidden bonus Lay Down. Not much to say about this one, there's a lot of moments where it feels like it's going somewhere before retreating. One thing that does slightly bug me about this is the 'You ask for peace, I give you war' melody is so familiar. Might be one for the What's This Song? thread.

pop3blow2 (9) seems to think of it highly (A moody little hidden gem).

RUNAWAY (7.7) again points out that Natasha went a bit overkill with the hidden tracks (this song deserved better than to be a hidden track JOINED to the other two songs...at least separate it for people that like the song! It’s such a good song!).

Which means, our Top 40 is as follows:
    Unwritten
    These Words
    Single
    Unwritten
    I Bruise Easily
    If You're Gonna...
    Silent Movie
    Drop Me In The Middle (feat. Bizarre from D12) / (feat. Estelle)
    Wild Horses
    Peace of Me
    The One That Got Away

N.B.
    Soulmate
    Say It Again
    Pirate Bones
    (No More) What Ifs [feat. Eve] / What Ifs (Solo)
    Not Givin' Up

Pocketful of Sunshine
    Put Your Arms Around Me
    Pocketful of Sunshine
    Happy
    Love Like This (Solo) / (feat. Sean Kingston)
    Piece of Your Heart
    Angel

Strip Me
    Little Too Much (feat. Kevin Rudolf)
    All I Need
    Strip Me
    Neon Lights
    Weightless
    Can't Fall Down
    Touch
    Run-Run-Run
    Break Thru
    No Mozart
    Roll With Me
    Kick It
    Roller Skate
    Everybody Come Together (feat. Angel Haze)
    It Could Be Love
    No Man I See
    Sweet Nothing
    I Feel You

Miscellaneous
    Again
    Love Looks Like (with Art House)

My main surprise? The amount of Roll With Me tracks left.
    I didn't expect any album tracks left at this stage, nor did I think any deserved to be.​

12. If I was picking the next 10 out:
    Wild Horses
    Piece of Your Heart
    Can't Fall Down
    Break Thru
    Roller Skate
    It Could Be Love
    Sweet Nothing
    I Feel You
    Again
    Love Looks Like (with Art House)

And I legitimately enjoy 7 of them!

vague and Butterfly like this.
  13. If I was picking the next 10 to go, it would probably be:
    Pirate Bones
    (No More) What Ifs [feat. Eve] / What Ifs (Solo)
    Piece of Your Heart
    All I Need
    Everybody Come Together (feat. Angel Haze)
    It Could Be Love
    No Man I See
    Sweet Nothing
    I Feel You
    Again

All 7 / 7.5s for me, with the exception of Sweet Nothing which got a 6.5.

vague likes this.
  14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

That is definitely not the N.B. Top 5 I predicted. Did I miss the part where everyone suddenly liked Say It Again?

Preferably the next ten I'd like to see out.

Say It Again
    Pirate Bones

Put Your Arms Around Me
    Happy
    Love Like This

All I Need
    Run Run Run

Roller Skate
    No Man I See
    Everybody Come Together

Butterfly likes this.
  15. Next 10 out?

I Bruise Easily
    Wild Horses
    Peace of Me
    The One That Got Away

Stepping Stone

Put Your Arms Around Me

Can't Fall Down

I Feel You

Again
    Love Looks Like

Butterfly likes this.
    [​IMG]
    Happy

Average Score: 7.25

Highest Scores: 9.5 x 1 (Sail On), 9.25 x 1 (Epic Chocolat), 9 x 2 (Butterfly, RUNAWAY)
    Lowest Scores: 3 x 1 (RainOnFire)

Pocketful of Sunshine is first up for a loss tonight as Happy's run ends at #40. After N.B. felt so unfocused, Natasha really hit her stride with the new tracks for Pocketful of Sunshine. Happy is a simple 'forget your troubles' type-song but alongside a great instrumental and some great vocals the results are 10/10 (or rather, 9/10).

pop3blow2 (8.25) isn't big on the production (A nice, soulful little song with a few questionable production choices that hurt it).

Epic Chocolat (9.25) gets the spirit of the song (Sunny, carefree, easy).

RUNAWAY (9) seems to underrate this personally (still manages to put a smile on my face. I don’t really come back to this song that much, but it’s really cute, and I really do enjoy it).

[​IMG]
    Put Your Arms Around Me

Average Score: 7.27

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 9 x 2 (Robsolete, Sail On)
    Lowest Scores: 4.5 x 1 (Epic Chocolat, Hurricane Drunk)

Pocketful of Sunshine (which, in writing this I have just realised has a rather unfortunate acronym) can't catch a break as its opening track is out next. Put Your Arms Around Me also featured on Strip Me Away for... some reason. It's again a song I think is great, absolutely packed with hooks.

RUNAWAY (10) continues their trip down memory lane (this song is such a breath of fresh air. When I got the Pocketful album on release day and put it into my cd player and this song came on I was SHOOK. I was excited for the new tracks already, but I didn’t expect the opening track to be this great).

[​IMG]
    Pirate Bones

Average Score: 7.28

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (pop3blow2), 9.5 x 1 (DJHazey), 9 x 1 (abael)
    Lowest Scores: 3 x 1 (Verandi)

Pocketful of Sunshine can only get half a break as this next song was featured on both N.B. and its US counterpart: Pirate Bones is out next. It's another track from N.B. that feels like a couple songs stitched together, but I think it kind of works here? You guys seem to think so.

Verandi (3) struggles to compliment the track (The chorus is… not it. Nice piano I guess).

pop3blow2 (10) thinks this was too ahead of its time for certain people (Songs like this highlight the interesting area of pop Natasha always existed in for me. She had some really mainstream sounds/success & a certain general public sensibility, but there’s this constant undercurrent of quirky weirdness through a lot of her discography. I’m not entirely she every completely found the balance, but she’s maybe all the more interesting in some ways for not).

RUNAWAY (7) didn't feel anything for the song (this song has never really been anything special to me, and even now upon re-listen, I kind of forgot it was playing in the background, so...yeah. Next).

17. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

[​IMG]

myblood, vague, Verandi and 1 other person like this.
  18. Happy is the kind of diabolical positivity that I despise. Good riddance. Pirate Bones outlasting Backyard and Tricky Angel was a mess too. Honestly I'm surprised at the tracks from the new album being still here too.

RainOnFire likes this.
  19. I'm glad at least one person gave Pirates Bones the 10 it deserves and I played myself by not giving as well. I agree with @pop3blow2 that some of her early 'quirky' tracks like Pirates Bones are some of her best in general.

pop3blow2 and myblood like this.
  20. I was busy today and have to be up super early tomorrow so no elimination - but we'll be doing two eliminations daily for the rest of the week!

pop3blow2, vague, DJHazey and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.