Natasha Bedingfield Discography Rate | #7 - Her declaration of independence | Page 13 | The Popjustice Forum

Natasha Bedingfield Discography Rate | #7 - Her declaration of independence

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Butterfly, Mar 19, 2020.

1. A bit late for the eliminations, but glad I could catch up.
    With that said, ENOUGH WITH THE UNWRITTEN ELIMINATIONS FOR NOW.

RUNAWAY likes this.
  2. It's safe for the time being.

pop3blow2, myblood and vague like this.
  3. Before I get on with today's eliminations: Natasha has released a new song!

What would we have scored this if it was included in the rate?
    Like... a 5? It's really bland. She sounds & looks great as ever though.

4. Why is EVERYTHING post-Strip Me such a bland, Eat Pray Love, Live Love Laugh, Home Sweet Home NIGHTMARE.

DJHazey likes this.
  5. In fairness to her, she didn't write this one! She's just collecting a cute cheque.

DJHazey, vague, RUNAWAY and 1 other person like this.
  6. Yas mama get that money etc

DJHazey, RUNAWAY and Butterfly like this.
    [​IMG]
    Everybody Come Together (feat. Angel Haze)

Average Score: 7.32

Highest Scores: 10 x 2 (DJHazey, vague), 9.6 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 9 x 1 (pop3blow2)
    Lowest Scores: 3 x 1 (Robsolete)

First out today is Roll With Me pre-release track Everybody Come Together. The song is a collaboration with label-mate Angel Haze, marking Natasha's 2nd female rap collaboration after (No More) What Ifs with Eve (or 3rd if we count that random live performance she did with Iggy Azalea in like 2012?).

pop3blow2 (9) seems to enjoy the song (Well, this one kinda goes off in its own little way).

RUNAWAY (9.6) thinks the song was made just for them (so SO GOOD. Such a chill, laid back song and totally what I’m into).

OspreyQueen (8) is a fan of the collaboration (I like this one just for the reminder that Angel Haze is still at it. I loved Dirty Gold back in 2014).

[​IMG]
    Again

Average Score: 7.361

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (fatyoshi), 9 x 2 (RUNAWAY, pop3blow2)
    Lowest Scores: 4 x 1 (myblood)

Again becomes our penultimate 'Miscellaneous' track. The song was released as part of the Confessions of a Shopaholic soundtrack. It's a pretty great ballad, but it's massively missuited for the film. It is a romantic comedy but it lacks the kind of melodrama the song would suggest.

Remorque's (8.75) expectations were exceeded (I was pleasantly surprised by this one! It's a very solid song with a great performance. Upstaged by Fashion being on the same soundtrack though).

RUNAWAY (9) makes note of the soundtrack being star studded in general (oh yeahhhhhh, the song from Confessions of a Shopaholic. This soundtrack was a moment. This song is so good!!)

[​IMG]
    Run-Run-Run

Average Score: 7.363

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (tylerc904)
    Lowest Scores: 6 x 3 (Sprockrooster, RainOnFire, Epic Chocolat)

Run-Run-Run becomes the next Strip Me loss, though the song does have the distinction of being our first elimination with a low score of 6. It's universally liked, just not loved.

RUNAWAY (8.3) has mixed thoughts (kind of repetitive, but I liked it).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
  8. I actually love Angel Haze, but damn this collab with Natasha was not it.

9. Shocked. Thought you would love it.

Damn Everybody Come Together just spoke to me. I couldn't even continue the tracklist when rating, I was obsessed. Sad to see it gone.

10. 7 I like the beat, it's nice enough to listen to while you read the end credits.

11. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

I'm pretty convinced Again would've been a Top 20 contender had it appeared on an album and wasn't just an extra. I guess #36 isn't a bad result considering the other extras all bombed out at the beginning of the rate.

vague likes this.
  12. nn I didn't remember writing this and it turns out it's not me @Butterfly. I gave it a 6 but probably it's just a wrong tag.

13. Oops! That would be @Remorque, who did give it an 8.75.

vague, Remorque and Verandi like this.
    [​IMG]
    Love Looks Like (with Art House)

Average Score: 7.38

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (myblood), 9.25 x 1 (pop3blow2)
    Lowest Scores: 4 x 1 (tylerc904), 5 x 1 (OspreyQueen)

Love Looks Like lands at #34, becoming our final 'miscellaneous' track to leave. I was in two minds about whether this classed as a feature, since the cover literally says feat. Natasha Bedingfield but she is listed as a co-lead on all platforms, not to mention she co-wrote the song and is the only vocalist. Art House is the project of producer Julio Reyes Copello, whose credits include Nelly Furtado's Mi Plan & Jennifer Lopez's Como Ama Una Mujer.

The song was also co-written by Jonas Myrin, writer of Natasha's latest release 'Together In This' and friend from her Hillsong days - that's right, Natasha was (is?) a member of the celebrity-favoured church long before it became the in thing - we love a trendsetter.

Epic Chocolat (8.25) praised the vocal performance (Strong vocals), as did RUNAWAY (8.5) too (this was cute and she really sold it vocally).

pop3blow2 (9.25) went one step further (This is really good. Her voice really stands out here, but I like the tune & production in general).

[​IMG]
    Can't Fall Down

Average Score: 7.39

Highest Scores: 9 x 1 (RainOnFire), 8.7 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 8.5 x 1 (vague), 8.25 x 1 (pop3blow2), 8.15 x 1 (Butterfly)
    Lowest Scores: 6 x 1 (Sail On, fatyoshi, OspreyQueen)

Can't Fall Down continue's Strip Me's losing streak tonight. The song becomes only our second elimination with a low score of 6, but it seems it's another one everyone likes but not loves. The amount of variations of the number 8 handed out might also be a record in the rate.

Epic Chocolat (7.75) isn't turned off by the message (Very inspirational but not annoyingly).

pop3blow2 (8.25) is a fan of this sound for her (Another one of those lilting floaty songs. It’s a good sound for her).

RUNAWAY (8.7) praises her vocals again (her vocals here are really great, and the middle-8 is so good!).

[​IMG]
    I Feel You

Average Score: 7.43

Highest Scores: 10 x 2 (Sprockrooster, vague), 9 x 1 (Epic Chocolat)
    Lowest Scores: 4.5 x 1 (Hurricane Drunk)

I Feel You becomes tonight's final elimination at #32. It's probably a good point to note that a decent amount of Roll With Me tracks are left? It's certainly an outcome I wasn't expecting. The production of this one is immaculate, but the song itself is a bit nothing-y for me and as a result I was a below average scorer (7).

RUNAWAY (6.7) wasn't feeling it (okay this song was mondo boring).

Verandi (7.5) admired the harmonies (Great harmonies beautiful harmonies) and pop3blow2 (8.25) likes parts of the song (Some pretty moments in here, especially the way it ends).

Sprockrooster (10) was happy to be introduced to the track (Quite the discovery), Epic Chocolat (9) was too (Spacey, hopeful, like a gospel. A nice discovery).

Epic Chocolat, myblood, vague and 9 others like this.
  15. I like that acoustic version of 'Everybody Come Together'! I always swear that song was a proper single, but maybe I just remember it as a pre-release. It's just always been so instant sounding/feeling.

I love her vocal on 'Love Looks Like'. Maybe a top 10 or 12 in the whole rate, for me.

vague likes this.
  16. Technically the only *proper* single of Roll With Me was Kick Me - since it was the only song to get a video and be sent to radio.

Roller Skate was also referred to as a single, and it did seem like she had shot a video but it never materialise.

myblood, vague and pop3blow2 like this.
    [​IMG]
    No Man I See

Average Score: 7.51

Highest Scores: 10 x 1 (DJHazey), 9.5 x 1 (myblood), 9 x 4 (Sprockrooster, OspreyQueen, fatyoshi, Remorque)
    Lowest Scores: 4 x 2 (Sail On, Hurricane Drunk)

No Man I See becomes the latest Roll With Me album track to leave the rate. The song is Natasha's most explicit female empowerment anthem, detailing a toxic relationship while providing words of encouragement. The lyrics I enjoy, the music I also enjoy, but together it lacks the punch that would take this to the next level for me - that didn't stop the rest of you delivering our first 7.5+ average.

Epic Chocolat (8) seems to enjoy it (Got me swinging).

pop3blow2 (8) favours the lyrics (Well, these lyrics just went for it. The rest of it is ok too), whereas RUNAWAY (7) is confused by them (the Jesus line is so fucking weird...this whole song is so strange)?

OspreyQueen (9) is also baffled, but for different reasons (She’s actually really good at writing female-empowerment songs, and I’m baffled that this is the first time she’s really gone for it since Unwritten).

[​IMG]
    Wild Horses

Average Score: 7.53

Highest Scores: 10 x 3 (OspreyQueen, pop3blow2, Robsolete), 9.2 x 1 (RUNAWAY), 9 x (Butterfly, Remorque, fatyoshi)
    Lowest Scores: 3 x 1 (Verandi)

Unwritten loses another album cut in Wild Horses, the official final track on most editions of the album. Lyrically, the song talks of feeling trapped and wanting to be like 'the wild horses'. When I saw her live last year, this song was the encore & she alluded to it being applicable to how she felt a few years later during drama with her label - which felt particularly poignant at her first UK show since the Unwritten era (or thereabouts) due to the those issues.

Verandi (3) just doesn't like album-closer ballads (Ah the big closing ballads. I hate it).

Sprockrooster (5) likens the track to Jessie J (I see where Jessie J got her inspiration from). I always thought there was a similarity between them, particularly with Jessie's debut album. And then there's the cruel irony of their careers panning out similarly, smash international debut era, followed by lots of label micro-managing and local releases leading to it all petering out.

pop3blow2 (10) loves the vocals (A beautiful moment & such a strong vocal. You really get to hear both her gruff soulful tones & sweetness).

RUNAWAY (9.2) is once *again* nostalgic, but who can blame them (such a special song to me. It brings back so many emotions of my high school days).

OspreyQueen (10) can only describe her emotions in gif form.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  18. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I love the title changes @Butterfly. They're making me laugh so hard!

myblood, vague and Butterfly like this.
  19. Ddd, I read that and thought "I'd be shocked if @Verandi loved Gaga's Fashion!"

20. Sigh @ the No Man I See elimination, the taste level on Roll With Me favorites isn't up to par, though I do enjoy all of the remaining songs on some level so there's that.

myblood and OspreyQueen like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.