Neighbours - unmissable drama | Page 286 | The Popjustice Forum

Neighbours - unmissable drama

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Tribal Spaceman, Dec 16, 2011.

1. I’m hoping the fact it mentions my Queen ‘sensationally retuning’ means it’s all nonsense

2. DigitalSpy posted the article about it as well. I really do worry that if Channel 5 can't work out a deal quickly then that will be it for Neighbours. It seemed a bit iffy last time they were doing contract negotiations so I really hope they can get it through. There's no way that it would be financially viable for Australia alone. The four/five episode thing is bizarre still as well so it does all seem a bit rocky. To contradict that, the production values have clearly increased somewhere recently with all the non-studio shoots so maybe there are costs that can be trimmed to keep it going.

3. Confirmed in a statement from Channel 5:

4. Island

Island Staff Member

That’s a shame to hear. I guess this is the beginning of the end..

5. Do you think another channel will pick it up? Perhaps it could go down the Wentworth route and do a block of 12 1-hour episodes, twice a year?

6. It's done for if it doesn't get a new British broadcaster who is willing to fund it. It only gets a viewership of around 100k per episode in Australia.

7. I’ve never really watched, so forgive me for butting in, but couldn’t they reduce the episodes to save it? I read they still get 1.2 million viewers in the UK so it seems worth saving. Does it air year round?

8. I wonder if Channel 5's commitment to "increased investment in UK drama" means that the "let's all point at poor people and laugh" portion of their schedule is for the chop too.

As for Neighbours; I don't think I've seen a full episode in 20 years so I've no dog in this fight, but it's still sad if this really is the end. I'm not sure anything that's on 4-5 times a week really fits that well with modern viewing habits.

9. I’m absolutely gutted but I don’t know if any other channel would be rushing to pick it up.. I can’t see where it would fit and who would want it

10. I’m just really sad for what it means for the soap genre as a whole.

I haven’t watched it for a couple of years but I watched it fairly regularly around the time of Dee’s return and it was reliably lit.

11. If it is ending, I would love it if Kylie did make a guest appearance. She probably won’t but it would be a fitting end to have her and Jason back for an episode or two. They owe a lot to the show.

12. I have just been so sad all day. It's been such a big and constant thing in my life and I can't imagine it not being around. Adding to that, I once spent two days at the set and seeing that production coming to life and meeting the cast and people working on it only made me fall in love with it even more. I really hope that it finds a home somewhere and that Freemantle are offering Channel 5 a big discount to get another five years out of them.

13. It might seem trivial, but for over 35 years, it has been one of my best, most reassuring, most reliable 'friends'...a comfort amongst difficult times and a steady backdrop to my life. I hope the show can be saved.

14. Island

Island Staff Member

Even though my viewing habits have been in and out over the years, this show definitely has a special place in my heart and is one of my favorite forum discoveries. I’m hoping it can be saved, but if not, then I know that the end will be a bittersweet. I’m hoping some of the actors end up with decent careers afterwards.

Madaboutmusic and deepheat03 like this.
  15. Missable drama I fear.

16. There's nothing trivial about that at all. There's a warmth to Neighbours which is really special and the show is on great form. It also has a very engaged fanbase who are already kicking up a fuss...

17. I feel sorry for the actors who’ve stuck with it for decades like Alan Fletcher however I do think it went past it’s best a looooooong time ago.

I adored it in its BBC heyday. Lots of memories.

18. Such a shame that this could possibly be it. Like others I haven’t watched for years but it’s been there all my life so it’s going to be strange not seeing it on the tv anymore.

Have any of the cast reacted to the news?

Fuchsia likes this.
  19. Island

Island Staff Member

Apparently, the cast found out the same time everyone else did. They were still filming as of Friday.

Island likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.