Netflix recommendations

He/They
Let me jump into Buying Beverly Hills S2.
The first got better as it went on, and I just hope it focuses as much on the people outside the family as it did last year, as they were messier.
Maurice's glow up in the mere weeks between filming RHOBH and this is hilarious.

After episode one of 3 Body Problem, my current feeling is: not good.
I've only got the finale left and I am baffled at the writing and pacing. This is... horrific. And you can tell D&D have absolutely no idea how to create a compelling story unless there is a compelling story in the source material. I was curious to read the books but bfffffff

Honestly, Invasion (Apple TV+) does the whole Aliens are coming! way better than this.

I've only got the finale left and I am baffled at the writing and pacing. This is... horrific. And you can tell D&D have absolutely no idea how to create a compelling story unless there is a compelling story in the source material. I was curious to read the books but bfffffff

Honestly, Invasion (Apple TV+) does the whole Aliens are coming! way better than this.

It's strange because I find 3 Body Problem much more compelling and richer than Invasion. It's also much more hard science fiction, so not really comparable.

Invasion season 1 was okay but season 2 is not good... It quickly turned into a cliché Earth vs evil aliens story.

Invasion was a little too dripfeedy - like they didn’t have an endgame in mind. There’s also a shortage of likeable characters, but it’s still decent.

I haven’t finished 3BP yet to know how satisfying it is (or isn’t).

Well well well... I've just seen Kelly Rowland's own Obsessed AKA Mea Culpa and it's so awful that it is... weirdly camp? Kinda gripping? Or maybe it's just the fact that Trevante Rhodes is the hottest man I've ever seen in my life? We just don't know!

Anyway, recommended!

The books are fantastic - I’d definitely recommend them.

I have found the second half of the show a bit better. Episodes 5 and 6 both had stuff that felt unfilmable in the source material but were translated pretty well.

The pacing is definitely off though - they are racing through it far too quickly, and with the time jumps of the books it makes me a bit nervous about how invested it will be possible to get.

I’ve never seen invasion but 3 Body Problem’s writing was ATROCIOUS, and now I’m also wondering if some of it is the books faults or if those two idiots have been scamming us for years. The first episode was pretty strong and we go so excited but then would pause the series several times throughout the season just to digest how stupid the characters and storylines were. Too bad, I love sci-fi and any Alien type stories but unsure I’ll return to this if it gets renewed.

he/him/basic cishomo
The sheer quantity of shows and lack of quality. There is no quality control at Netflix anymore.

Seems as though everything has become a hate watch.
It's become the last app I check for something to watch because of this! That big red N on a thumbnail = "Oh good another movie with high production values and nothing else of note." Even the ones I did enjoy while watching like I Care a Lot and What Happened to Monday?, I come away feeling... unsated. My mom is only paying for hers anymore for Young Sheldon reruns ddd. (It's a great show to be fair. Totally different animal to BBT, Zoe Perry and Annie Potts are mother, I do recommend it.)

I'll keep watching Black Mirror because I do think it's the last real achievement they've got under their belt, but wait that show's glory days weren't even Netflix-produced huh?

I will say things will likely shift considerably in the next couple of years. There’s a massive consolidation happening in Hollywood atm, much fewer things being produced as a result of streaming services failing and a need for some correction of an over saturated market. Netflix is the best positioned at the moment of the bunch, and they have done some very interesting hires recently that signal some movement towards more quality content vs the style over substance things we’ve been getting. Especially with their film content. It will take a few years for the change to be noticeable but it will happen.

Additionally, we’re going to go back to a world where other studios will lean heavy on licensing their content vs trying to build their own platform.

I just started watching 'Bodies' and love the story it's telling. I'm only 3 episodes in so far though so I hope it doesn't end up a big old mess that makes no sense.