Netflix recommendations

The books are fantastic - I’d definitely recommend them.

I have found the second half of the show a bit better. Episodes 5 and 6 both had stuff that felt unfilmable in the source material but were translated pretty well.

The pacing is definitely off though - they are racing through it far too quickly, and with the time jumps of the books it makes me a bit nervous about how invested it will be possible to get.
Welp, I'll eventually get to the books.

I finished the season yesterday and... meh? Unless the streaming numbers are huge, I can see them chopping it.

Is it worth it?

Is it as great as the film?

I second this enquiry - the film is pretty much perfect (even if I don’t entirely adore Matt Damon as Ripley).

However, Gwyneth, Jude, Cate, Philip and Jack are GREATEST OF ALL TIME in it and I can’t see how anyone could possibly match their performances…

But I can say with confidence - from even just looking at the stills on IMDB to jog my memory - Jude and Gwyneth are LIGHT YEARS more captivating than Johnny (bland) and Dakota (who must have been directed to “just look unconvinced“ in every scene). And the swap of Philip Seymour Hoffman for the artist formerly known as I Blame Coco needs no further comment…

he/him/basic cishomo
I will say things will likely shift considerably in the next couple of years. There’s a massive consolidation happening in Hollywood atm, much fewer things being produced as a result of streaming services failing and a need for some correction of an over saturated market. Netflix is the best positioned at the moment of the bunch, and they have done some very interesting hires recently that signal some movement towards more quality content vs the style over substance things we’ve been getting. Especially with their film content. It will take a few years for the change to be noticeable but it will happen.

Additionally, we’re going to go back to a world where other studios will lean heavy on licensing their content vs trying to build their own platform.
This excites me, as I understand you're more in-the-know on this stuff and the whole consolidation that's happened across the past few years has made the streaming world a bit shit. It's pretty clear from the past 15 years that we win when studios and streaming platforms stay in their respective sandboxes. Leggo!

It's been so long since I've seen Talented Mr Ripley that I can't compare but after an episode or 2 of Ripley I was well into it. A gorgeous, beautifuly shot film noir with some hilarious moments.

It's been so long since I've seen Talented Mr Ripley that I can't compare but after an episode or 2 of Ripley I was well into it. A gorgeous, beautifuly shot film noir with some hilarious moments.

Having recently watched Talented Mr Ripley and then watched the trailer for Ripley, I don't think I can separate the two to enjoy Ripley.

Ripley the series is very good. The film was largely responsible for my (gay) sexual awakening, and some of that casting and the overall look of the film is just scrumptious, but it’s clear this is a much more faithful adaptation of the source material and it’s delicious. You have to go in separating these characters from the film because they are very different. I’ve finished episode 5 (out of 8) and damn was that episode (as well as 3) tense as hell. The series is much more noir thriller, yeah - it’s a whole different beast. The film is one of my faves but this is great.

I need to get it off my chest. The character of Will (?) on 3 Body Problem is so deathly boring and the actor's face so unmemorable and voice so droning that I almost fall asleep every single time he says anything. I've never experienced anything like this in any show ever. He's basically the real-life Colin Robinson.

I need to get it off my chest. The character of Will (?) on 3 Body Problem is so deathly boring and the actor's face so unmemorable and voice so droning that I almost fall asleep every single time he says anything. I've never experienced anything like this in any show ever. He's basically the real-life Colin Robinson.
That whole plotline of him battling cancer went nowhere and nearly ruined the show for me. It took up the entire second half of the series. It was boring and had no purpose or resolution. Otherwise I loved the show but his scenes nearly made me turn it off.

Ripley the series is very good. The film was largely responsible for my (gay) sexual awakening, and some of that casting and the overall look of the film is just scrumptious, but it’s clear this is a much more faithful adaptation of the source material and it’s delicious. You have to go in separating these characters from the film because they are very different. I’ve finished episode 5 (out of 8) and damn was that episode (as well as 3) tense as hell. The series is much more noir thriller, yeah - it’s a whole different beast. The film is one of my faves but this is great.

This is one of the best things I’ve watched in ages. The way it’s shot, like some lost 60s Italian classic, the intensity of it all, the way it’s overly long but never boring, Andrew Scott in speedos, it’s just all so good.

I was sold when I saw Jessica Gunning was in it - she’s always amazing in anything she’s in. And this looks like a very complex, terrifying performance…!

Reactions: Sam

Sam

he/they
Just finished episode 4 and fucking hell.

The trans dating site felt a bit problematic with the way it was just mentioned and not explained, but I trusted it would be and surely enough. That episode was a real difficult watch. And to think this is based on a true story too, jesus wept.