Netflix recommendations

I'm only halfway through Baby Reindeer, but it's starting to feel really uncomfortable making profit (and even a lot of comedy/jokes) at the expenses of all the female characters (so far).

Even/especially joking about the death of his landlady's son ('I'm better at abseiling')

Just because he also comes off bad in multiple ways doesn't make this ok - as for him it was his choice (and presumably he's profiting from it too)

I'm only halfway through Baby Reindeer, but it's starting to feel really uncomfortable making profit (and even a lot of comedy/jokes) at the expenses of all the female characters (so far).

Even/especially joking about the death of his landlady's son ('I'm better at abseiling')

Just because he also comes off bad in multiple ways doesn't make this ok - as for him it was his choice (and presumably he's profiting from it too)

I watched the whole thing last night and, for a show with a lot of jokes/humour, the words sinister and traumatic are the two best ways for me to describe it.

I understand where you’re coming from (have you watched Episode 4 yet, by the way?) but I disagree - Donny is petulant, borderline nasty and very complicated and the whole show is from his perspective - we pity him at times but I’m not sure we empathise with him (or are meant to either).

Yes, he has misogyny issues (amongst others!) but let’s remember that both of the stable and well-adjusted characters (or as well-adjusted as you can be in this show) are both female - Teri and Keely, which is not a coincidence.

I watched the whole thing last night and, for a show with a lot of jokes/humour, the words sinister and traumatic are the two best ways for me to describe it.

I understand where you’re coming from (have you watched Episode 4 yet, by the way?) but I disagree - Donny is petulant, borderline nasty and very complicated and the whole show is from his perspective - we pity him at times but I’m not sure we empathise with him (or are meant to either).

Yes, he has misogyny issues (amongst others!) but let’s remember that both of the stable and well-adjusted characters (or as well-adjusted as you can be in this show) are both female - Teri and Keely, which is not a coincidence.
I hadn't, and while that added more context, I'm still curious as to how much input/permission those people got into their trauma being shared for his art.

But yes, very difficult watch and not sure I'm glad I watched it, while I also felt compelled to watch it all.

I hadn't, and while that added more context, I'm still curious as to how much input/permission those people got into their trauma being shared for his art.

But yes, very difficult watch and not sure I'm glad I watched it, while I also felt compelled to watch it all.

I definitely agree with this - the whole thing is like an open wound and I simply couldn’t stop despite how much it was upsetting me… the fact that these “characters” are all real people and are probably pretty easily identifiable to a lot of people they know IRL after watching this (and he’s basically making money from their actions with presumably zero agency on their side)… that definitely makes me a bit uncomfortable!

I went into Baby Reindeer blindly thinking it was going to be a light comedy. God I was wrong.
Episode 4 hit a little too close to home, I don’t know if I can finish this.

Wow. Baby Reindeer was nothing at what I was expecting and sheesh it was pretty rough at times.

But despite a few flaws, I thought it was really great, thought provoking and incredibly acted.

I remember being really blown away when I saw Baby Reindeer at The Bush and wasn't sure how it would work as an episodic piece but other than being 1/2 episodes too long I think it's great and episode 4 is one of the most horrific things I've seen in a while

Mvnl

Staff member
After how disappointing the film was compared to the (great) book, is the One Day series worth doing?
From what I've been reading online (since I did not read the book) it's overall a vast improvement, while also fixing some of the questionable parts of the original book. I think I'm gonna follow up my viewing with the movie but I can almost not imagine how this story can be done justice within the lenght of a movie.

Mvnl

Staff member
I'm now reading some responses to the show and find the whole discourse about whether any of the relationship was 'healthy' (and whether
Dex only really settled for her when he was at his lowest
quite interesting. Like when she told him in Greece how he was 'keeping her warm' there definitely seemed to be some truth to it, and it maybe kinda romantizises a situation where there have been plenty of red flags over the years. Didn't take away any of the feelings I got from watching it though, but I suppose both of them just kinda are messy like a lot of real people tend to be..

Also I kinda expected something bad to happen
to Dex, because all the signs were there + it seemed Emma was the narrator/I was lowkey expecting the whole showe turning out to be a story she wrote down about their lives.

Can’t wait to eat mud with the girlies in Macondo

Me registering 'Remedios the Beauty Charts' on X

9686762-E-1-BBA-4-FC1-BFE9-1-E06-B86290-FD.gif

Reactions: LTG

Mvnl

Staff member
After how disappointing the film was compared to the (great) book, is the One Day series worth doing?
Okay, 30 minutes into the movie I can confidently say the show is waaaay better.
The movie is like watching a trailer of it? Like 30 minutes in I'm 6 years into the story and have yet to get a sense of why Emma & Dex even hang out as friends? It definitely works so much better with like 30 minutes for each year.
Kinda reminds me of how much better the Timetraveler's Wife worked as a series too.
Now obviously I have not read the book so which depiction of the characters is the most faithful I do not know, but I know I grew to love and care for the Netflix two pretty quickly and thusfar the movie just.. lacks.

I was in hysterics the first few episodes of Baby Reindeer, Martha is unhinged.. then episode 4 came and it got so dark and very uncomfortable viewing. Planning on finishing it tonight.