Netflix recommendations | Page 6 | The Popjustice Forum

Netflix recommendations

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by pdf, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Island

Island Staff Member

I'm watching Safe and while Michael C. Hall's accent is just awful, it's great seeing Queen Amber Gates back on TV.

LPT, andru and Rommers like this.
  2. Island

Island Staff Member

Dd the last episode of Safe.
    [​IMG]
    They writers obviously did not know who the killer was until the episode before.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    LPT, VitaminBee, andru and 3 others like this.
  3. Netflix has an upcoming new animated series about drag queens.

This rom-com looks cute.

LPT likes this.
  4. Oh see I lived for the constant twists and turns. I think it's really hard for writers to be able to fully fool the audience and still deliver a great twist at the end so I quite enjoyed it. I really didn't see it coming and I think the whole story rounded off quite well. A great one off series.

Although I would've liked it to just be someone else so we could've got a second season out of the characters.

LPT, Island and andru like this.
  5. There's a three part documentary about the November 13th attacks in Paris on Netflix. It's all testimonials of survivors, of witnesses, of the president at the time, the mayor of Paris, the emergency services who intervened.

The second episode is especially tough to watch, the situation in the Bataclan is just so tense. I had to take a break after it to continue with the 3rd episode.

What I get overall from it is that some assholes did something really horrible, but many many more people tried to help each other, ripping off their t-shirts to try stop people from bleeding out, comforting total strangers as they lay dying. That some people in the Bataclan, even though they were surrounded by 100+ bodies at that point, gave the terrorists shit, telling them they were fucking assholes, who did they think they were for doing this? It got them shot dead, and they probably knew it would, but they still did it.

6. Yes to all of this! I was a bit apprehensive at first, with most true crime docs having at their deepest heart exploitative elements to keep the story going and to stay binge-worthy, but I'm glad I didn't get that vibe with The Keepers. It seemed like it was going to be another interesting cold case doc but...shit. All of the stuff that lies deep and unravels with each episode is too disturbing - I couldn't hold back some angry tears.

I'm glad that, more than the main subject itself, what resonates the most on The Keepers is the unwilling resolve that Gemma & Abby have with their on-going investigation, and the focus on allowing the victims to take control of their narratives and to let other parts know that they won't be silenced.

LPT and orbison like this.
  7. Great documentary, so emotionally charged and moving. I had no idea of all the details that night, like I have no recollection of there being a hostage situation at the Bataclan, so it was really informative and let me gain a wider perspective of events. All the people taking part and sharing their stories are so brave.

8. Has anyone watched their new animated original show The Hollow? I'm enjoying it so far.

9. So Netflix is making a Eurovision comedy with Will Ferrell. What’s the bet this will be a ‘lolz look at those Europeans’ shitshow?

10. As a big Eurovision fan I'm not sure if I like this idea. No need to turn the show into a joke. (yeah it's a joke to many anyway) but why would Eurovision want to brand themselves as that? Hm.

On the other hand Will is a big Eurovision fan (I think his wife is European and that's how he knows it) so maybe it will be just funny, but not made fun of.

LPT and ItTakesAMuscle like this.
  11. This is everything.

12. Can somebody recommend me a new show to watch?the last series i liked were scream queens and pll(i'm basic i know), i tried to watch downtown abbey but to me it was too boring

13. Have you watched Riverdale or Bates Motel?

andru likes this.
  14. I saw Evil Genius the entire season when my AirBNB had Netflix in Bulgaria recently. My excitement fizzled out towards the end - they could've wrapped it up in less episodes but it was still a compelling watch.

I tried the first 10 mins of Safe and yes, Michael C Hall's accent was bothering me and distracting, I'll try again soon because that genre and kind of story is right up my alley.

15. What TV drama would you say has the best dialogue?

16. As a movie geek, I'm always disappointed that Netflix has barely anything older than the '80s in their catalog.

lushLuck likes this.
  17. I felt the same about Evil Genius. Honestly, I could've easily been a one-hour special. The way they stretch it over the episodes, makes you feel that there's gonna be a huge payoff, but the ending is somewhat anti-climatic.

Judy Jetson Hooker and Martyn like this.
  18. Yeah I was like oh is that it?

LPT and orbison like this.
  19. Same for The Staircase (well maybe not an hour, but certainly not 13 episodes). I think we have Making a Murderer to thank but that actually warranted being several episodes long.

LPT and blod like this.
  20. Nanette is fucking incredible. Hannah Gadsby is fucking incredible.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.