Netflix recommendations | Page 95 | The Popjustice Forum

Netflix recommendations

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by pdf, Feb 11, 2018.

1. I’ve just added The Fabulous Lives of Bollywood Wives to my list - I have like a good 40+ things on my list to work through over Xmas!.

I am so ready for this show. Between this and Indian Matchmaking, I like that there’s more shows about us being made that aren’t just Bollywood movies, especially on Netflix.

2. Same! Sister, Sister is so watchable and Lisa is hilarious.

Season 1 of Dawson's Creek feels so iconic to me. It's such a poignant watch. I've just started season 2 and I have a few issues with this season so I'm enjoying it but also sort of hate watching certain parts of it at the same time.

3. Whoever invented canned laughter should have bad things happen to them even if they aren’t with us anymore.

I’m watching girlfriends for the first time and it’s not what I expected I thought it was more drama but it’s pretty funny so far.

4. I'm so overwhelmed by the cycle of "great show happens - I binge the current season - wait for a year or two for the next one" with like two dozen shows... and of course, the danger of it turning shit later on or being cancelled without resolution happens way more often than a satisfying ending... So I found myself enjoying a Limited Series format more, it's a shorter commitment and they tend to pack a punch. "The Queen's Gambit" and "Stateless" back to back murdered me.

AllRed, bakerboy92, Txetxu and 4 others like this.
  5. I really had zero interest in “The Queen’s Gambit” based on the subject matter, but what a surprising delight it ended up being. I’ve always been a fan of Anya Taylor-Joy and she truly elevated this material to another level. She made the entire thing a captivating, fascinating character study that I was almost sad to see come to an end. Hoping a Globe and Emmy are on lock for her next year.

6. Just starting The Queen's Gambit tonight ourselves.
    I've always wanted to learn chess.

OlliMaus and Future Lover like this.
  7. I think this is the show's magic, that it takes something as boring (to us non chessies) and it makes you get lost in its world anyway. What a show.

Just started Ethos and wow... from the first episode.
    This will be fire.

spaceship, OlliMaus and lushLuck like this.
  8. I was surprised at the use of this trope in Queen’s Gambit but to be fair,
    the character in question does reject the label of “guardian angel” and just puts it down to the two of them being family, which felt more like an acknowledgment/subversion of the trope.

It was weird, however, how all of the supporting characters (including Jolene) rallied around her in the final episode even though she had, up to that point, done very little to deserve it given the way she’d treated all of them!

lushLuck, Jasper47 and Future Lover like this.
  9. Her teacher not seeing his name mentioned in any interview until he died broke my heart.

Trinu 3.0, IEngineered and lushLuck like this.
  10. That scene in the final episode. It was as if someone squeezed my heart and made it weep.

Trinu 3.0 and Vasilios like this.
  11. This is finally out!

Trinu 3.0 likes this.
  12. I’m watching the last air bender and it’s low key the best thing I’ve watched in such a long time! I’m loving it.

Chezam likes this.
  13. Moesha is on U.K. Netflix!

Blue6010, ratedr and 4Roses like this.
  14. I finished Ethos and have withdrawal.
    What a great TV series.

15. I just got done binging all six seasons of Sister Sister, sooooo good loved it just as much as I did back then.

I was sad they changed the ending though, obviously due to Beatles copyright.

The original ending was amazing, its sad many new fans may never find it as they don't know it was changed.

Robbietoxic and lushLuck like this.
  16. I'm gagging for some kind of new comedy/sitcom. I love Friends, 30 Rock and Parks & Rec but you can only watch it so often (which is very often). Can somebody recommend something equally charming/clever? Doesn't have to be Netflix... (oh and sorry, but not something overly cringey, I can't handle The Comeback, as much as I would love to love it)

17. Since you already listed 30 Rock and Parks & Rec, I assume you already tried out Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt?

LoveMachine likes this.
  18. Modern Family? Community? Both are good I think, especially if you like 30 Rock - Community features Donald Glover.

DominoDancing and LoveMachine like this.
  19. Yes, I watched it and I did like it. Although I thought the show was missing a "straight man" (in the sense of someone who is not overly eccentric). All the shenanigans all the time were sometimes a bit much.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.