Never Let Me Go | The Popjustice Forum

Never Let Me Go

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by EnsnareTheSenses, Feb 13, 2011.

1. I read this book last year in my English class, and we just had a reunion to go and see the film, which has just come out in the UK.

I ended up enjoying the book, and the film as well. It was a shame that they had to cut out parts which I hadn't realised whilst reading the book were quite important.

It's a heartbreaking film - very sad (tissues will be required), but also quite shocking and a little disturbing at times. Fantastic though, and the acting of the leading three (particularly Carey Mulligan and Andrew Garfield) was superb.

I definitely recommend this film, but be warned, the advert is not a true representation of the film. It is kind of being marketed as a lovely Valentine's Day film - it is not. Whilst it is about love, this film is about so much more, and we really get you thinking. Read the book for a fuller understanding of the true message.

A lovely, tragic film.

2. slimane

slimane Guest

I really enjoyed it. It is very bleak. Is it weird that I find Andrew Garfield's long neck strangely sexy?

3. Finished the book last week, looking forward to the film, although I really didn't like the ending.

4. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Going to see this tomorrow. Haven't read the book, only a vague idea of the film plot. But seeing "Keira Knightley" and the title "Never Let Me Go" meant that I assumed "Oh, boring soppy romance nonsense" - and then saw something about it which made me realise it's actually in a Children of Men vein. So now I'm looking forward to it.

5. This doesn't really spoil anything - did anyone else find Keira's final scene very disturbing?! It was horrific, and was different from the book. I actually think it had more of an impact this way.

6. YES. Just the fact it was on screen for what seems like forever!

I saw this yesterday (I like a bleak Valentines) - the last 15 minutes or so are so depressing. It's the constant feeling of dread finally becoming reality - both me and my friend were welling up a bit. I kinda wish I'd read the book before I saw the film though because the concept is really interesting!

7. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I really enjoyed it. Bleak, grey, fairly depressing, but captivating and gorgeously shot.

As I said, I only had a vague idea of the plot, so didn't know fully what to expect. Quite glad I went in fairly blind. The performances were all really good. Kiera looked wonderfully ill throughout, ironically. The friend I was with cried at the end, but I didn't. I wasn't in that sort of mood.

I liked how that 'alternative reality' that the film is set in is just accepted and barely explained. It is how it is, that's it. Nobody complains, nobody protests. Even Miss Lucy didn't do anything drastic.

The screen we saw it on was absurdly small for a cinema, it was like watching it on someone's living room wall - and yet that somehow added to the viewing experience, it made it feel like very 1980s England. There was even a hair trapped in the gate, which flickered all the way through in the corner of my eye.

8. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

OH and if you haven't seen the film DO NOT watch the trailer. Seriously, don't. As well as containing two of the final three scenes in the film, it contains possibly the only real 'twist' of the plot. I only watched it afterwards (as I was going to put it on my Facebook page) and was honestly shocked at how many key points and scenes of the film it contained.

9. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I didn't realise this film had been at US cinemas last September - it's already out on DVD and Blu-ray over there. I'm almost tempted to get the Blu-ray already, you can get it for about £20.

10. I've been looking forward to this since it came out months ago in the US and when I finally got to see it last night, I was not disappointed.

The concept is just gripping, completely sucking you in from the first moment and thoroughly believable throughout. You want to learn so much more about this alternative reality in which the film is set, but rather than focusing on the issue and its ethics on a large scale, we see it entirely through the eyes of three perfectly-drawn characters. As such, I was immediately invested and with such a tight focus on a small group, you're taken through every emotion in a very raw, personal manner.

Acting was superb throughout (much has been made of Mulligan and Garfield's performances but I thought Keira really shone) and it was beautifully, yet subtly, shot, often deceptively picturesque for such a bleak world.

I feel very much compelled to read the book now, I really want to learn more about this world and spend more time with these characters.

11. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Thinking back on it (and I've been thinking about it a lot) I realise I loved how bare everything was, and how there were hardly any other people around. In the cafe - two others and a waitress. In the hospital - one nurse and no other patients except one out of focus in the background. I guess it gives a sense of how isolated and alone they are. It's also ironic that in a world where diseases are curable and people are living so much longer, it was so bleak and empty rather than joyous and celebratory.

Young Kathy really looked like Carey Mulligan too. I always like it when they manage to find child actors who actually look like the person they're meant to be when they grow up.

12. Yes! The kids looked really like the adults! I was thinking that they could've been related!

Yes definitely read the book - it's also really good. There are some differences - Miss Lucy has a meltdown, which explains quite a lot. There are some touching moments between Tommy and Kathy, and a deeper insight into the science-fiction side of the story. The title of the story and Kathy's tape also have more relevance.

Can you believe that I got study this in English last year?! Amazing - I ended up using it for one of my essays in the final exam, which made up quite a lot of my mark. I did it about a key scene in the novel where Ishiguro uses great imagery about the kids feeling like spiders, which takes place when Madame passes through a crowd of them - something that wasn't particularly elaborated on in the film.

13. I loved the book when I was a teenager.

BUT

For some reason the film can't captivate me.

Everytime I try to watch it, I put it off after 20 minutes.

14. I really enjoyed it, as much as you can enjoy such a bleak film. It's been going over in my head ever since. SOme great performances, and Mulligan is literally fantastic.

Knightly played her part well, and she did look very weak at points which really added to it. Her final scene was quite moving actually despite her not doing anything at all.

I definitely want to see it again.

15. I absolutely loved this film.

So very bleak and beautiful. The most inappropriate Valentine film I can imagine.

However, a friend whose opinion I value hated it with a passion.

The performances are impeccable but see it with an open mind.

16. I completely missed this when I commented before, but did mention it. I definitely agree, it was an excellent scene and for sure quite disturbing.

17. I'd read the book, but if anything that made everything all the more disturbing as I knew what was coming. It felt like I had a scalpel hovering against my gut for most of the film. Excruciating, but brilliant.

I personally think that Keira isn't getting enough recognition for her performance, everyone's completely sidelined her for Carey who is also brilliant.

18. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

I found a signed copy of the book for £7.99 today. Had to buy it!

19. I loved Carey in it, but I generally found it quite an unpleasant film to watch. The turbulence in the plane didn't help matters. I usually really enjoy depressing films but even this was just too much for me.

20. WHAT?! I'm so jealous! I bought mine, unsigned, for £15.99!
    SockMonkey - The Deal Spotter!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.