New Moderators - The List Revealed | Page 5 | The Popjustice Forum

New Moderators - The List Revealed

Discussion in 'Forum business' started by Someboy, May 19, 2020.

1. The names that immediately come to mind:

@BEST FICTION
    @beyoncésweave
    @superultra

It probably helps that I stan all three but aside from that, they promote a great forum presence and are genuinely active members (I've been properly posting nearly 4 years and some of these mods.. who_is_that_rihanna.gif). They're also extremely articulate and expressive within their debates while retaining a sense of humour, wit and personality.

slaybellz, Island, Sanctuary and 21 others like this.
  2. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

For what it's worth, if I end up becoming a mod as a result of this thread, I suspect I'll end up in most of the subforums anyway, Eurovision included. (*war flashbacks to the Alison Moyet thread in Comeback Corner*) The only sub-forums I don't really visit are K-pop, TV + Film, The Internet and The X Factor.

(I do spend lots of time in P&J but I tend not to visit a lot of the busiest Big Pop Girl threads because it's hard to keep up.)

Mods, what do you enjoy about being a mod? I know you guys get a lot of stick from time to time but I assume there's a reason you guys are still around and still moderating.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  3. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Also, to add to my earlier post, I took on the task of running a rate in 2017-2018 and I was so over the exhaustion of it as a project that I've really never participated in rate since, whether as a creator or participant, dd. I basically ignore that subforum now because the PTSD is far too impacting.

4. RJF

RJF

Yeah okay whatever where are your Madonna scores?

KingBruno, evilsin, Remorque and 16 others like this.
  5. 2014

2014 Staff Member

Being a mod is a bit tough and I haven't always got it right, but overall (and I know other people are different and would benefit in other ways) but I've found it's really helped me come out of my shell? I feel like I've been able to talk to other posters a lot more freely and I hope that whenever I have had to PM members I've been fair, open and reliable? It's been nice to have something to bring to the forum every time I log on, whether it be just merging/moving threads or having to issue bans. I don't know, I just do enjoy the responsibility of it most of the time, but if this process had been introduced when I became a mod I highly doubt I would have got the nominations to get in hhhhh.

acl, Remorque, steste and 15 others like this.
  6. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  7. matthew.

matthew. Staff Member

Hey what about my email!

Remorque and Verandi like this.
  8. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

Leave me alone, you demon

[​IMG]

slaybellz, Remorque, evilsin and 14 others like this.
  9. Yeah. I feel like it is necessary for the main forum. Another moderator for charts specifically might be a bit superfluous. I might be missing stuff, but I feel like @RainOnFire and @2014 have that well under control (perhaps less visable mods too). Obviously another set of eyes can never hurt.

I realised I have been tagging you repeatedly for rates I hosted or suggestions of rates you should pick up. I am sorry. I want you to know I had no idea.

10. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

No worries, if anything, I appreciate the suggestion. I usually reply with a humorous response to let y'all know that I saw the tag buT I won't be coming back <3

11. ohnostalgia

ohnostalgia Staff Member

I’d like to nominate the following for KPJ: @BEST FICTION and @Slice of Life
    I’d like to nominate for General Mods: @superultra and @londonrain and @beyoncésweave

Thanks to everybody who nominated me. I’m open to the idea, but I would definitely need to think about the workload. Also, I am currently not active in P&J because I find the atmosphere unpleasant. But I’m also not opposed to rejoining that subforum if a new team of mods can shape things up. If my inactivity from P&J disqualifies me, then I’ll accept that answer as I don’t think it’s an unreasonable qualification.

12. wait what

13. Lila, Someboy and 2014 like this.
  14. RainOnFire

RainOnFire Staff Member

Me! Sorry for not clarifying this before guys.

15. In all seriousness when do we get to vote out some mods as well, though?

16. RUNAWAY

RUNAWAY Staff Member

I echo @ohnostalgia on everything here. Especially the part about not being active in Pop and Justice. I know I'm probably not in the running anymore (especially with the votes for me drying up pages ago ddd) but yeah the workload would be something I'd definitely have to mull over as I do have a full time job as well.

Remorque and Slice of Life like this.
  17. Sistren, I am genuinely dianne_warren_oscars.gif moved at these nominations and kind words; thank you very much. Unfortunately, between my work and eternally spiralling side projects, I really don't think I can commit to the responsibility of moderating. I adore this place, and over time it has become more and more of a respite from a lot of my everyday life. I would hate for that to change by it potentially feeling like a chore, which is a feeling also borne out of the experiences of when I had even mild administrative duties associated with the forrem.

I think Rashida is right in that what's needed from a moderator isn't some imagined sense of impartiality but for them to uh basically have a personality; be able to follow through on their convictions; and back that up conscientiously. I suspect there is also a lot of invisible labour to the job beyond just deleting gifs, too, so someone who is able to take that on without the outward-facing role suffering or them just fading away. Looking at the obviously successful moderator appointments of the recent past (@2014 and @Solenciennes) gives some indication as to the kinds of personalities who can do a good job, I think. To the excellent suggestions so far, I'd like to add @joe_alouder, @Subwaykid, @1991, @Petty Mayonnaise and @Trouble in Paradise.

After any appointments are made, I do hope some concrete plans also are made to provide transparency on policies collectively adopted by the moderators, such as on recurrent, evolving issues like the usage of gifs and particular words and phrases. Even a stickied thread that is updated from time to time would help.

[​IMG]

slaybellz, KingBruno, acl and 48 others like this.
  18. Someboy

Someboy Staff Member

I want to keep this thread specific to nominations, but I'm seeing a few recurring issues and questions, so I'll tackle them.

Commitment:
    The simplest answer to this is: imagine the time you spend on the forum now in a moderating capacity. With a large, diverse group of moderators, divided geographically and by interest, we could hypothetically cover most of the forum effectively. There was a time we would receive dozens of reports a day, but that is rarely the case now. You do have to check reports, but equally important is following popular discussions (good examples right now would be Chromatica, Drag Race, US Politics, etc). You also need an awareness, but not deference, to the friendships and inside jokes that have developed among members.

Relationship with Forum:
    Every mod has a different style, as would any new mod. It's just an inherent characteristic of how the system is set up. @Mr.Arroz wisely pointed out there will be times where it's more of a burden and you feel cast in an antagonistic role, but the hope would be if you have a dozen regularly active moderators, you can tune out when you need to, knowing that there's a whole group available to back you. Some of you might be posting daily, some of you may hold back and be observers (this is what I do when I'm tired: continue to read and stay afloat, but don't login and engage unless there's an emergency). With more mods, we would hopefully compliment each other.

De-powering Mods:
    It's tricky. Some people (including myself) may well be past our expiration date. I don't have a straight answer, and I don't want this thread to be a discussion of who needs to go. I will say, part of my impetus for bringing new voices (some younger, some racially diverse, some sexually diverse, geographically, etc) is that we're able to build a consensus among all mods, so that the rules are laid clear. If you don't want to operate within those rules, then maybe you resign your moderating powers.

Why do it?
    @londonrain, asking the right questions! What a mod state of mind.

Aside from the decade-long 50 Shades cosplay I've had with @RJF?

Jokes aside, I do it because I've always loved this forum. I love pop music, and I appreciate this as a space where it's treated with the same amount analysis and compassion people traditionally bring to other genres. Also, I fall on the more introverted side of the spectrum, and I enjoy having this as a space for expression. So I moderate it with the idea of keeping it that sort of space, and seeing new generations of users find it over time, I think it's been more successful than not. There have been members who were reported every day when they first joined, but with some patience and moderation, they've become stalwarts of the community. I sleep well at night knowing I didn't perma-ban @Bobbyrae nine years ago. I want to insert a winking face here, but it's against the rules.

slaybellz, acl, Ugly Beauty and 42 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.