New Order's Technique is 30! | The Popjustice Forum

New Order's Technique is 30!

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Eric Generic, Jan 30, 2019.

1. [​IMG]

Released on 30th January 1989, Technique was the first New Order studio album since Brotherhood in September 1986.

It was trailed by the single Fine Time, which reached #11 on the UK Top 40.

Debuting at #1, it was the band's first chart-topping album.

Full tracklisting:
    1 Fine Time 4:43 (UK single, #11)
    2 All The Way 3:24
    3 Love Less 3:04
    4 Round & Round 4:31 (UK single, #21)
    5 Guilty Partner 4:48
    6 Run 4:31 (UK single, as Run 2, August 1989 #49)
    7 Mr. Disco 4:21
    8 Vanishing Point 5:17
    9 Dream Attack 5:15

The total running time of the original CD was exactly 40.00, which amused me for some reason as I don't think I'd ever had a disc which was that precise length before.

Technique made my Top 100 Albums of All-Time list when I last compiled one in 2016. Here's what I wrote about it:

"Unquestionably one of the greatest singles bands ever, New Order’s albums can be hit and miss to say the least. A lot had changed for the band since their previous LP in 1986, the messy Brotherhood.

Back then they couldn’t crack the Top 40 with classics like Bizarre Love Triangle and before it The Perfect Kiss, and Brotherhood itself disappeared from the charts, and the public consciousness, with indecent haste.

True Faith altered the landscape completely, along with the superior collection Substance 1980-1987. Now, they could release the best-heard-in-clubs-while-off-your-face single Fine Time and almost get into the UK Top 10 at Christmas 1988. Come the New Year, Technique was eagerly awaited and entered at #1.

It’s something of a paradox for me that their strongest album should lack any of their most defining tracks, bar the incredible Vanishing Point. Round & Round was its Sub-Culture, a frenetic workout in a hurry to get to the end. A sign of their changing status was that it peaked at #21 on the chart when issued as a single, and not somewhere in the mid-50s. Run, or Run 2 (a lot of people can’t tell all that much difference) fared less well, although New Order didn’t usually make a habit of taking yet another single off the album so far down the line.

The first half (aside from Fine Time, which I didn’t like at first and never really warmed to) is pretty solid without any genuine wow moments. All of those appear on Side 2, from the heavenly coda that plays out on Run, through a triple whammy of Mr Disco, Vanishing Point and closer Dream Attack."

2. The last three songs I think are the best 'last three songs' run on any album ever, absolutely perfect and not a single among them!

3. Technique is not only my favourite New Order album but one of those albums that changed my life (and the way I see things) as a teenager.

4. I could never fathom why they chose the singles they did from that set of songs. You've got Vanishing Point, Mr Disco and Dream Attack so guys, what shall we put out? Oh yeah, Fine Time and Round & Round.

Okayyyyyy.

trussy74 and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  6. Ha, I knew about half of those facts. Silly NO, and silly Tony Wilson, for stuffing up the singles choices.

Towed Away would have made a better title for Fine Time!

Hairycub1969 and MixmasterRemix like this.
  7. I purchased "Technique" from Woolworth's in Twickenham (South West London) upon the day of it's release on CD back in late Jan 1989 - I'd also recently purchased my last two vinyl LPs:
    Simply Red - A new flame
    Fine Young Cannibals - The raw and the cooked
    Still love all three albums.
    I worked in Twickenham at the time - a work colleague and I used to head to Woolworths most Monday lunchtimes to see what new albums had just been released.

"Vanishing Point" would have made a great summer 1989 single!

8. I used to shop there for singles back in the mid-80s, as it was one of many local shops we were blessed with in that area back then (*sigh*). Usually if I needed to catch a bus, as there was a bus-stop right outside.I'd go everywhere....Richmond, Kingston, Hounslow....I had no loyalty!

Technique was the first big release of 1989 (unless you count the Rush live album A Show Of Hands and Lou Reed's New York..Jan 16th).

Raw & The Cooked followed on Feb 6th, along with Costello's Spike. A New Flame debuted on Feb 13th. I bought them all, but was most excited about the new XTC opus that appeared at the end of February.

9. I haven't delved into their albums, other than the singles collections.

Listening to 'Technique' now on Spotify, up to 'Guilty Partner'. My first thought is... it's very 'Monaco' - yes, even though I know that was 8 years later. That's a good thing, for me, though.

10. Typically for New Order, it's the ultimate paradox.....my favourite NO album without any of my favourite NO singles on it.

I was trying to remember what position Substance got to in 1987, without cheating and looking it up. I *think* it was #3. I used to know this stuff off by heart.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  11. In a former universe back in the late 80's I swear we must have met whilst rummaging through the ex-chart singles bargain bin in Woolworths Hounslow!

ohnoitisnathan and Eric Generic like this.
  12. I haven't listened this album since '90 or '91. I used to listen to the tape constantly. I need to rediscover it again.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  13. 30 January 1989: I purchased my copy in Bridge Records late that afternoon. It was still in Bridge Street then. I stopped off in The Sweeney for a coffee afterwards. History shows that the album got three plays that night; homework was rushed and the study plan (mocks in 5 weeks) abandoned. A very precise and focused LP, no filler and is over in a flash. A bit like the last 30 years.

Run 2 was impossible to get in Ireland. No shop stocked it.
    Vanishing Point was compiled on Telstar's excellent Product 2378
    I'll get round to reviewing it in the summer.

14. I was actually more excited at the Edie Brickell & New Bohemians CD that I got at the same time; I wasn't sure when that was meant to be out, but What I Am was my single of that month and I was psyched to hear what the rest of the LP was like, as it had been in the higher reaches of the US charts for a while already. I didn't even know what Edie looked like until I saw the booklet.

ohnoitisnathan and nlgbbbblth like this.
  15. Also released on 30/1/1989:

The Blow Monkeys - Whoops! There Goes The Neighbourhood

Long delayed from 1988, probably due to the floppage of It Pays To Belong in late summer. However, the Top 10 smash Wait (with Kym Myzelle) gave the record label another opportunity. It still didn't perform very well, and by August 1989 RCA were cutting their losses with a Top 5 Best Of collection, "Choices".

Nick Heyward - I Love You Avenue

Another shelved 1988 release, delayed until the New Year lull in the hope of getting some chart action. It sadly didn't pay off. I was always curious to hear new material from the mid-80s crowd, even when they'd gone down the dumper, and this was no exception. Traffic In Fleet Street is lovely.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  16. Nick Heyward's "You're my world" and "Tell me why" should have been massive hits! The Chart Show were keen to show them at the time!

ohnoitisnathan and Eric Generic like this.
  17. They were fine singles.

ohnoitisnathan and Hairycub1969 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.