New Spice Girls Album?

I doubt they are going to sign a new deal....going by Headlines they need to go their seperate ways again after the tour because that song was SHOCKING...

I have always considered Geri the real spirit of the Spice Girls.
If they were transformed into a big Power Rangers-esque Megazord, she would definitely be the heart.

Tribal Spaceman said:
I have always considered Geri the real spirit of the Spice Girls.
If they were transformed into a big Power Rangers-esque Megazord, she would definitely be the heart.
The Spice Girls would be a Ninja Mega Falconzord...Sugababes would be a Megazord.

I had one of those!

I once drew an amazing comic strip about the Spice Girls as Power Rangers. I sent it to Spice Magazine and I was gutted they never printed it.
It was MILES better than 'Spice Fish Sisters'!
Not that I'm bitter or anything... ;)

Aime said:
vivahate said:
when anyone with eyes could see that the talented one was Geri

Oh my God, I think I'm in love with you!

Oh, and Geri was behind Too Much as well. She was the main contributor to Too Much, Viva Forever AND Stop. Take that, Mel C!

I love Geri too and think she's underrated songwriting-wise. She's a great pop songwriter, it's clear she was behind a lot of the Spice lyrics and this was reflected in the general strength of her solo material. The ballads on Passion are geuinely all quite beautiful.

Tribal Spaceman - do you still have Spice Girls Power Rangers comic?! Even if Spice didn't want to know (amazing though that magazine was!), I do!

vivahate said:
RhythmNative said:
Honestly, after seeing them live I don't think Mel C will be involved and quite rightly.

As a performer she is light years ahead of the others, not just in terms of vocals but also charisma and all round stage presence. She's even one of the better dancers.

But by the sounds of it she is still treated with utter contempt by the rest of the girls. Wasn't it Mel C that didn't want to release 'Headlines' (or anything written by Geri prior to the reunion being finalised) - looks like they should have listened to her!

Take the money and run Melanie - but please, please, put it to good use and record a decent solo album.

Mel C is a deluded wanker ('wanker' by the way is the absolute best word for her, I've thought about it a lot) who I like to think of as a particularly bad case of flesh-eating skin disease upon the pretty little face of The Spice Girls. I've long mourned her presence in the group, which has prevented me from fully embracing them.

It of course started with the tedious notion that she was the 'talented' one on account of her vocal abilities (when anyone with eyes could see that the talented one was Geri (followed by Mel B))! 'She's the only one who can sing' was the was the mantra, I believe. And poor me, all I could hear was a rancid steam-roller of a voice that made me feel sick deep down to the pit of my stomach.

More recently: her thirst to be a 'serious' artist would be funny and cute if she weren't so fucking persistent. In her mind she is going to be the next Bob Dylan even if it takes until her dying breath. Give up, you silly bitch!

And now she is once again pissing on everyone's parade probably, as you say, by resisting a new album and otherwise peddling her miserable bulimia/ bullying fantasies to anyone in the media who will listen (this goes hand in hand with with her fanciful ideas about being a 'real musician' - Bob Dylan liked to deal with 'issues' too). All of this worthiness, in addition to her lung capacity and the little stint as a cartoon punk! Wow Mel C, you really are THAT much better than the rest of them...

You're mad.

I'm all for Popjustice, and rallying against the notion of perceived credibilty, but the way you randomly through Bob Dylan's name into your reply twice, like he is some kind of pop music anti-christ, shows that you really lack finesse in such an argument.

I completely understand liking an artist just becuase they are fun, and when it comes to the charisma versus raw talent argument, I'm completely on the side of charisma, but I honestly think you are an example of someone that is so pissed off with it all that you end up worshipping any old tat just because it happens to be a binary opposite to what you dislike.

Your argument seems to centre around Geri not taking herself seriously, which made me laugh for a start. There's never been a woman so fame ravenous, so dependent on "Yes" men, so demented, so deluded, so embarassingly unsubtle, so "let's lock this pop producer in a car until he gives me his song" fucking CRAZY! The problem is with Geri that she takes herself far TOO seriously.

Having said all of this, there was something a bit endearing about that slightly over-weight, flame haired mess, squashed into some garish dress 4 sizes too small. Her desperation and tragicness was kind of her selling point

So the greatest shame is that now, the final chapter in the life and times of Ginger seem to be this nervous character, frightened of letting go on stage - in case she might stand out or embarass herself.

For those who haven't seen the recent tour live, take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gRlFRTYz8

See the old Geri would have thought, "Right, no lines in this one, I need to do my best to upstage the others - best think of something - maybe slip a tit out...". The new Geri stands there limp and lifeless. Is she even moving?!

My defence of Mel C (and it is often a defence, because many Spice fans don't like her) has always been that with Mel it isn't a pay-off between vocal talent and stage presence, like Geri represents the 'showgirl' and Mel represents the 'artist', becuase Mel C has both. She is both a talented singer and brilliant performer and Geri, well Geri no longer has either.

Remember, Kylie released "Please Stay" a really weak single, before releasing can't get you out of my head, look how big Fever become,

The first time I heard Headline's, Straight away, I thought they've something else up there sleeve!! They've much better singles which haven't been released(W.O.M.E.N) so why such a weak single!! I think they'll do a new album, Like Kylie done, bought out a weak single before her new album"Fever" and it exploded!! I think the weak single "Headlines" was all planned!!

If they had no intention of releasing anything else, we would of at least got a double AA recored with Headlines..

Actually I do, somewhere. I will dig it out and scan it!

I (rather cunningly) drew it in black and white, photocopied it and coloured in the photocopy.

I imagine its quite dated now.
It featured Jimmy Godzilla...

RhythmNative said:
vivahate said:
RhythmNative said:
Honestly, after seeing them live I don't think Mel C will be involved and quite rightly.

As a performer she is light years ahead of the others, not just in terms of vocals but also charisma and all round stage presence. She's even one of the better dancers.

But by the sounds of it she is still treated with utter contempt by the rest of the girls. Wasn't it Mel C that didn't want to release 'Headlines' (or anything written by Geri prior to the reunion being finalised) - looks like they should have listened to her!

Take the money and run Melanie - but please, please, put it to good use and record a decent solo album.

Mel C is a deluded wanker ('wanker' by the way is the absolute best word for her, I've thought about it a lot) who I like to think of as a particularly bad case of flesh-eating skin disease upon the pretty little face of The Spice Girls. I've long mourned her presence in the group, which has prevented me from fully embracing them.

It of course started with the tedious notion that she was the 'talented' one on account of her vocal abilities (when anyone with eyes could see that the talented one was Geri (followed by Mel B))! 'She's the only one who can sing' was the was the mantra, I believe. And poor me, all I could hear was a rancid steam-roller of a voice that made me feel sick deep down to the pit of my stomach.

More recently: her thirst to be a 'serious' artist would be funny and cute if she weren't so fucking persistent. In her mind she is going to be the next Bob Dylan even if it takes until her dying breath. Give up, you silly bitch!

And now she is once again pissing on everyone's parade probably, as you say, by resisting a new album and otherwise peddling her miserable bulimia/ bullying fantasies to anyone in the media who will listen (this goes hand in hand with with her fanciful ideas about being a 'real musician' - Bob Dylan liked to deal with 'issues' too). All of this worthiness, in addition to her lung capacity and the little stint as a cartoon punk! Wow Mel C, you really are THAT much better than the rest of them...

You're mad.

I'm all for Popjustice, and rallying against the notion of perceived credibilty, but the way you randomly through Bob Dylan's name into your reply twice, like he is some kind of pop music anti-christ, shows that you really lack finesse in such an argument.

I completely understand liking an artist just becuase they are fun, and when it comes to the charisma versus raw talent argument, I'm completely on the side of charisma, but I honestly think you are an example of someone that is so pissed off with it all that you end up worshipping any old tat just because it happens to be a binary opposite to what you dislike.

Your argument seems to centre around Geri not taking herself seriously, which made me laugh for a start. There's never been a woman so fame ravenous, so dependent on "Yes" men, so demented, so deluded, so embarassingly unsubtle, so "let's lock this pop producer in a car until he gives me his song" fucking CRAZY! The problem is with Geri that she takes herself far TOO seriously.

Having said all of this, there was something a bit endearing about that slightly over-weight, flame haired mess, squashed into some garish dress 4 sizes too small. Her desperation and tragicness was kind of her selling point

So the greatest shame is that now, the final chapter in the life and times of Ginger seem to be this nervous character, frightened of letting go on stage - in case she might stand out or embarass herself.

For those who haven't seen the recent tour live, take a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-gRlFRTYz8

See the old Geri would have thought, "Right, no lines in this one, I need to do my best to upstage the others - best think of something - maybe slip a tit out...". The new Geri stands there limp and lifeless. Is she even moving?!

My defence of Mel C (and it is often a defence, because many Spice fans don't like her) has always been that with Mel it isn't a pay-off between vocal talent and stage presence, like Geri represents the 'showgirl' and Mel represents the 'artist', becuase Mel C has both. She is both a talented singer and brilliant performer and Geri, well Geri no longer has either.

I think you're filling in a lot of blanks for yourself in regards to my posts. I didn't and would never say that Geri didn't take herself seriously. As I stated I am a big fan of both docs made about her (especially the second one) in which she demonstrates a bleak (but often hilarious) kind of self-obsession, where she is stuck in some endless cycle of reappraising and re-imagining herself, constantly digging for little nuggets of self-knowledge or new ways to brand herself and her behavior. The gulf between what we see and what she sees is quite startling. She is fascinatingly, compulsively watchable and I don't believe just anyone can lay themselves out like that be it in the media or a film or whatever. Isn't that talent?

So actually we agree about Geri except I think these are all reasons to like her and things that make her a star.

As for your forecast for the end of Ginger, well I disagree. Wasn't she shooting a talk show before this touring stuff? She's one of these people, as I said, who loves the idea of redesigning herself. She will surely rise from the ashes sporting some absurd spiritual makeover soon. Geri as Britain's answer to Oprah? Yes please!

Again, you seem to have drawn some foregone conclusions about me leading to your admirable but incorrect summation of my (strange to some) appreciation system. I don't automatically dislike credible music but I do loathe credibility as a badge or style or marketing concept.

Actually I like a lot of music that might be called 'avant garde' and even (gasp) 'indie'. Far from liking any old tat my tastes in all culture tend to hover around the very, very 'low' and the very, very 'high' but I cast rather a critical eye upon it all. My sensibility is somewhat camp (if you take it to mean the appreciation of things failed) so naturally I am drawn to pop because this is one of the things pop does well. I thought most people were familiar with the idea of camp but it's so difficult to enjoy anything for something other than their Christian 'good' virtues without people thinking you're very stupid or very strange...

Hahaha. I really don't understand how Melanie C is the one peddling her bulimia to the media when Geri has made a fucking career out of her eating disorders and is doing the same right now by the looks of it.

I LOVE the Spice Girls and own all their solo albums but I'd argue that the most deluded one there is Geri who still seems to think shes the new Madonna. At one time I could see how but seriously, she has NO stage presence at all. Coupled with the fact she cant sing and is incapable of talking anything but utter shit means I'm seriously starting to dislike her. Anyone who has been to the tour must see how lost she seems. Even in songs like Wannabe and Who Do You Think You Are, which once upon a time were Geri's songs, she just fades into the background completely. Perversely the only moment she does appear brilliant is the moment there are no other girls on stage to overshadow her.

I agree that she does have moments of brilliance songwriting wise, Look At Me and even Love Never Loved Me off Passion are great examples but equally she can come out with some horrendous lyrics...It's Heaven and Hell Being Geri Halliwell anyone. Not to mention all the self help shit she peddles in half her songs (Strength Of A Woman, Circles Round The Moon!)

I sound like a Geri hater and I'm really not, but the woman on stage and in that documentary faux crying about how hard it was trying to fuck over the others is NOT the Geri who pinched Prince Charles' arse or got her tits out at the Brits.

I really don't understand the hate for Mel C by some Spice fans either. I imagine if I'd been massively unhappy for half my career with a band and then was semi forced into a reunion with them I wouldn't be wanting to carry on with a new album. Plus she has been nothing but committed to the live performances and does have amazing stage presence. Plus, all this stuff about her wanting to be credible or thinking shes the next Bob Dylan is just not really true. She has Never pretended to be an indie artist that I can see. All she's done is released the kind of music that she likes to listen to herself and hoped that the public likes it which surely does make her credible. Much more credible than a woman who doesn't mind showing the world that she is mentally unstable on national TV in order too sell 3 more copies of her latest opus.

Anyway. Like I said I do love Geri, or did anyway but ugh, shes such a dissapointment thesedays. Now Vicky B on the other hand...

give Gezza a few cakes and some hair dye and she'll be reet.

I didnt notice her fading into the background when i saw them live.
I DID notice she didnt say much, but she gave it her all.

JokeFuelledEgo said:
Hahaha. I really don't understand how Melanie C is the one peddling her bulimia to the media when Geri has made a fucking career out of her eating disorders and is doing the same right now by the looks of it.

I LOVE the Spice Girls and own all their solo albums but I'd argue that the most deluded one there is Geri who still seems to think shes the new Madonna. At one time I could see how but seriously, she has NO stage presence at all. Coupled with the fact she cant sing and is incapable of talking anything but utter shit means I'm seriously starting to dislike her. Anyone who has been to the tour must see how lost she seems. Even in songs like Wannabe and Who Do You Think You Are, which once upon a time were Geri's songs, she just fades into the background completely. Perversely the only moment she does appear brilliant is the moment there are no other girls on stage to overshadow her.

I agree that she does have moments of brilliance songwriting wise, Look At Me and even Love Never Loved Me off Passion are great examples but equally she can come out with some horrendous lyrics...It's Heaven and Hell Being Geri Halliwell anyone. Not to mention all the self help shit she peddles in half her songs (Strength Of A Woman, Circles Round The Moon!)

I sound like a Geri hater and I'm really not, but the woman on stage and in that documentary faux crying about how hard it was trying to fuck over the others is NOT the Geri who pinched Prince Charles' arse or got her tits out at the Brits.

I really don't understand the hate for Mel C by some Spice fans either. I imagine if I'd been massively unhappy for half my career with a band and then was semi forced into a reunion with them I wouldn't be wanting to carry on with a new album. Plus she has been nothing but committed to the live performances and does have amazing stage presence. Plus, all this stuff about her wanting to be credible or thinking shes the next Bob Dylan is just not really true. She has Never pretended to be an indie artist that I can see. All she's done is released the kind of music that she likes to listen to herself and hoped that the public likes it which surely does make her credible. Much more credible than a woman who doesn't mind showing the world that she is mentally unstable on national TV in order too sell 3 more copies of her latest opus.

Anyway. Like I said I do love Geri, or did anyway but ugh, shes such a dissapointment thesedays. Now Vicky B on the other hand...

Didn't Geri come up with the whole 'What I motherfucking want' thing on this tour? I think that was one of the most memorable moments, the one to make me smile and believe that they're still as fascinating as ever?

V

vasilios

ukkeegan said:
Remember, Kylie released "Please Stay" a really weak single, before releasing can't get you out of my head, look how big Fever become,

Now, I much, much prefer Please Stay! I always loved it and it's in my Fave Kylie Songs Top 10 for sure.

I don't see a Spice Girls new album, sadly.
I do see another tour in 10 years, though.

M

moorje

Be nice if they just released a bsides/rarities album. Wouldn't require any promo and would satisfy a lot of people disappointed with the obvious greatest hits.

JokeFuelledEgo said:
Geri has made a fucking career out of her eating disorders and is doing the same right now by the looks of it.

Don't get me started on that! No, really, please don't!

rachel-mary said:
Galang said:
I think I must be the only person in the world that actually liked Headlines. I loved it, I thought it was real classic Spice Girls. I hated how when they sang it at the concert everyone either left for a piss or just mumbled over it!

Oh me too, I think it's classic Spice. I adore all the 'Friendship never ends' and 'Say you love me and I'll say I love you' echos at the ends of lines of the chorus, very Goodbye-esque and very Spice Girls magic (for me anyway!). Plus, live it just sounds amazing and when they said it's about our relationship between us and you, the fans - well I'm a sucker for that kinda stuff. I still don't understand anyone that having paid lots for a ticket, then keeps pissing off for bits of the show! Hold your bladders/thirst and get your money's worth!

OMG! At the concert we had two guys sitting next to us and every so often they would have to move passed us to go to the toilet/get a drink/whatever and it drove me mad! Seriously I wanted to yell at them to hold their water! It was riduclous!

The thing with Geri is that she's always been a try hard, but personally I can respect that. Some people who are just naturally 'talented' can be downright lazy -but you could never accuse Miss Halliwell of never giving 100%

I think she's just a victim of her own celebrity, but there was a time when the media and public loved her, to have that taken away from you after being so successful in every field is bound to make anyone go a little gaga and insecure.

It's played up abit and quite obvious when you've got Emma and her smiles, Victoria and her pout, Mel B and her obnoxious put-downs and Melanie C with her voice and fringe. What is there for Geri to do?? They've not had any real TV opportunites for her to run across the stage or say anything saucy or 'outrageous' because it's all been done before and people would criticize her for not acting her age. She's kinda in a catch 22 where nothing she does is ever going to satisfy everybody.

vasilios said:
ukkeegan said:

Now, I much, much prefer Please Stay! I always loved it and it's in my Fave Kylie Songs Top 10 for sure.

I don't see a Spice Girls new album, sadly.
I do see another tour in 10 years, though.

But Please Stay was the 4th single from a sucessful comeback album. Headlines was a brand new song, released for charity and was meant to be the comeback for the Spice Girls.

They need Guy Sigsworth to produce it. Then all will be ok. He can even do a couple of 'guitarry' ones to convince Mel C that she's still a serious artiste. They don't really need much promotion, they can do one good video and an 'audience with' TV special and maybe a couple of live apearances for the first single/album, then they can leave subsequent singles to do what they may, and just phone in a few radio interviews and speak to the media wherever they are in the world if they feel inclined.

I actually think that in a Leona Lewis style, the more they limit the promotion and indicate that they really are beyond all this and they are pop royalty, the hotter they will become, and the more the record will promote itself. Personally I don't want to see the Spice Girls whoring themselves on Loose Woman.

Lucky guy said:
They need Guy Sigsworth to produce it. Then all will be ok. He can even do a couple of 'guitarry' ones to convince Mel C that she's still a serious artiste. They don't really need much promotion, they can do one good video and an 'audience with' TV special and maybe a couple of live apearances for the first single/album, then they can leave subsequent singles to do what they may, and just phone in a few radio interviews and speak to the media wherever they are in the world if they feel inclined.

I actually think that in a Leona Lewis style, the more they limit the promotion and indicate that they really are beyond all this and they are pop royalty, the hotter they will become, and the more the record will promote itself. Personally I don't want to see the Spice Girls whoring themselves on Loose Woman.

Though Leona did perform on Loose Women