Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded | Page 100 | The Popjustice Forum

Nicki Minaj - Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Mushroom, Aug 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haha, that's pretty much what I realized after mapping all of that out. I'm still not sure how I feel about actually intellectualizing a Nicki Minaj album...

2. Dial-999, that would have been amazing. Did it take you long to come up with that?

3. I want to say not that long to make it seem like I do have a life, but I'm pretty sure I started working on it an hour ago...

4. Im going to turn that into a playlist. I really can't slot the others in without making them bonus tracks.

Sex In The Lounge can fuck off. Obviously.

5. That's still great. Nicki could never, Gaga could never.

6. If that playlist had Marilyn Monroe somewhere feasible it would be CD burn ready for all car travels the next year.

7. ... and Champion.

8. ^^^ I can't not imagine an old lady with a purple rinse when she name drops 'Viola' amongst the more ghetto names in that song.
    Ruins the songs message for me slightly *blush*

9. The more the merrier, I'd say! I'd always like to have the opportunity to know what was made and dislike rather than to never know at all.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dial-999 raises the point that niggles me most about this album....why is it Roman Reloaded? Where does Roman actually fit in?

I would have loved something like Kanye's Dark Fantasy on here- Nicki ("Martha") being a commentator throughout the album. Having spoken interludes to separate the genres would have made for a more natural transition between each part of the album.

Here's my attempt:

Act One- Calm

Young Forever (you know that plinky synth would be a gorgeous start to the album)
    Marilyn Monroe
    Fire Burns
    Champion
    Right By My Side
    Gun Shot

Act Two- Battle

Beez In The Trap
    Roman In Moscow
    HOV Lane
    Come On A Cone
    Stupid Hoe
    Roman Reloaded
    I Am Your Leader
    Roman Holiday

Act Three- Celebration

Automatic
    Masquerade
    Beautiful Sinner
    Whip It
    Pound The Alarm
    Va Va Voom
    Starships

10. She should have just split the album into a double discer, with the first act rap and the second act pop. Roman in Moscow to open, Young Forever to close and Roman Holiday marking the end of the first disc with Roman taking that holiday, and allowing Barbie to take over for the pop disc.

11. Good ole' Slant.

12. Thats the thing that annoyed me most about this album, and from what I've read of other reviews, it seems to be a common thought.

Who or what on the album is supposedly Roman, and what differentiates this character from Nicki? Or Martha or whatever she's gone and bloody called herself.

13. I think it's fair to say that the first 6 tracks and Stupid Hoe are all "Roman" and follow the original brief for the album.

14. In regard to Dial 999's post and the whole Roman in Moscow issue, I was always under the impression that Roman was actually Russian, not American.

I'm trying to find something concrete about why I thought this, and I have found a couple of articles that says he hails from Russia, but can't find anything official.

15. The bad reviews are unfair and not based on the actual quality of songs, at least 65% of them are amazing. They're just bitching because some of it's dance. Nicki probably should have made more of the Roman character, it seems like she thought it was a really good idea when she first thought of it, then couldn't be arsed to follow it through, maybe because it was more difficult than she thought to make it into good music.

16. He's British. Hence the accent for the 'go get my barrettes' line.

17. I just assumed that he was British (what with Martha being his mother) and was sent off to boarding school (that's where he's supposed to be in Moment 4 Life) in Moscow.

18. My only major complaint beyond there being about 6-8 unnecessary songs on here is that not much is made of the Roman character. I wanted more songs that go as hard as Roman's Revenge and we get that from tracks like Stupid Hoe, HOV Lane, and Roman Reloaded, but it's not enough. Anyway, my ideal tracklisting is:

Roman in Moscow
    Come on a Cone
    Stupid Hoe
    Beez in the Trap
    HOV Lane
    Pound the Alarm
    Whip It
    Va Va Voom
    Roman Reloaded
    Roman Holiday
    Champion
    Gun Shot

19. For all the talk there is about him, the character of Roman never really has amounted to anything much. The Grammys performance presented an opportunity to turn the persona into something more substantial, and with a message, but that seems to have been a fluke. It's not like you can even tell the difference between Nicki and Roman nine out of ten times anyway - what's he ever said that she wouldn't?

Roman's Revenge - Nicki dragging Kim.
    Roman In Moscow - Nicki saying she's back.
    Roman Reloaded - Nicki bragging about her achievements.

Only Holiday presents an actual character, but even then "he's" just boasting about being the best for the most part. The less said about Martha and that cringeworthy amateur comedy routine at the start of Moment 4 Life the better.

Barbie, Nicki Lewinsky (where the fuck did she go?), Roman, Nicki, Onika - it's all the same really, isn't it? The only time her 'characters' have ever felt alive is when she was breathlessly switching between then on Monster. Hmmm, it's almost as if that's still her best verse to date or something...

20. Wheras I agree with pretty much all of that, Nicki Lewinsky was actually a fully rounded character on the Sucka Free mixtape. For whatever reason the character has never been brought forwards since major label Nicki.
    Lewinsky was, as she said, her having Wayne as her mentor but being up there with him. She said Monica Lewinsky was dumb for fucking the most powerful man in the world and doing nothing with it. 'Nicki Lewinsky' was her sex character who was also a business woman (That phrase has lost so much post MDNA), and that goes throughout Sucka Free. Wayne played the President and throughout the mixtape she did sex raps whilst also making people aware she was on top of her game. Nicki Lewinsky was, in all fairness, her most rounded alter ... The baddest bitch. Then she featured with Trina and Lewinsky was never mentioned again :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.