Nik Kershaw

It is weird the attitude to Oxymoron though as you say, there is money on the table but he doesn’t seem interested. Or touring too, bar the Retro shows, nothing booked. Gutted about the Coke album, I had it in my basket and for some reason I was ambivalent about it so never paid. Stupid as I have all the others on vinyl still.

It is weird the attitude to Oxymoron though as you say, there is money on the table but he doesn’t seem interested. Or touring too, bar the Retro shows, nothing booked. Gutted about the Coke album, I had it in my basket and for some reason I was ambivalent about it so never paid. Stupid as I have all the others on vinyl still.
I know you shouldn't compare but I saw Howard Jones play Human Lib for 30th anniversary and it was standing room only and packed. I saw Nik the following year at the same venue for the Human Racing tour and it was seated and half empty.

For that reason, I wonder if he feels if there is no the audience to see him play his biggest album, is their an audience to see him play his new album that's worthy of a UK tour.

I know you shouldn't compare but I saw Howard Jones play Human Lib for 30th anniversary and it was standing room only and packed. I saw Nik the following year at the same venue for the Human Racing tour and it was seated and half empty.

For that reason, I wonder if he feels if there is no the audience to see him play his biggest album, is their an audience to see him play his new album that's worthy of a UK tour.
True, but if he doesn’t play the UK, where does he play..

True, but if he doesn’t play the UK, where does he play..

The venue I saw him at could probably hold 2000 odd people. I'm sure he could play and pack out smaller venues but I guess it can be costly if you have to finance it yourself, including accommodation. Imagine he was asked to tour Human Racing for its anniversary so it was all paid for. A new album he would probably have to arrange and finance the tour himself.

I love the primitives, who obviously have a smaller audience, but I think they have pretty much confirmed they will no longer tour but only play festivals and the odd gig. I'm assuming financially it just wasn't beneficial for them to tour.

For Nik I appreciate it may just be down to the fact he can't be arsed.

I wonder if that's partly because Nik took a back seat with his career for so long, and shunned the limelight and didn't make a song and dance about his own music, whereas Howard never stopped the touring, the recording...and the fanbase never fell away. If you're going to do what Nik did in the 90s and early 00s, I suppose you have to accept the downsides to that. Even now he doesn't push his legacy as hard as someone like Howard still does.

I love both but wonder if some of Howard's music has aged better than Nik's 80s stuff. That's not to say I don't love it as I do. Howard broke America which no doubt helped as well as just kept at his career, so yeah I agree with you on that definitely.

Has Nik toured any new album since the 90s like Howard has?

Nik failing to break the US was a big difference in their careers, it's true. Howard had US popularity to fall back on when the UK stopped caring in 1987, but Nik didn't. I actually prefer most of Nik's 80s discography to HoJo's now (Human's Lib excepted). It's really strong material, played well and I love Nik's lyrical style more now, as an adult.

I just think they're very different characters, who view it all quite differently. You sense Howard needs it more than Nik. It's probably quite a healthy way to be, slightly detached and self-depricating. That said, I don't agree with his artistic choices on The Riddle reissue!

I remember going to tours for all the post 98 albums, I laughed at the can’t be arsed comment, it maybe that simple! I always was Nik before Howard, I never thought HoJo wrote a wholly convincing album bar Humans Lib. Nik did.

Finally we have Nik Kershaw B-Sides and Extended / Edited Versions available digitally.

<iframe style="border-radius:12px" src="https://open.spotify.com/embed/album/5Jz5LjFaUrqGJdhTj349ry?utm_source=generator" width="100%" height="380" frameBorder="0" allowfullscreen="" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; fullscreen; picture-in-picture"></iframe>

Nice to see the Radio Musicola and The Works singles feature in all their glory.

Crikey, that’s unexpected. Looks like nearly all the missing stuff, bar a few DJ edits on promos but no Phil Harding 12” version of Sun from 1983 oddly. Good to see though!

Oh christ, this is a mess. And the helpful comments on discogs only add to the sense that this hasn't been done with the care you'd hope for.

Think I've identified 5 mixes that I definitely don't already have.

When A Heart Beats (extended) 6.21
Dancing Girls (Hi-NRG 12") 7.30
James Cagney (edit) 3.58
Wild Horses (extended) 6.48
Elisabeth's Eyes (Club Dub) 4.41

May be more...Bogart extended, perhaps. Don't know what the 3.48 "edit" of Won't Let The Sun is all about.

Think I've identified 5 mixes that I definitely don't already have.

When A Heart Beats (extended) 6.21
Dancing Girls (Hi-NRG 12") 7.30
James Cagney (edit) 3.58
Wild Horses (extended) 6.48
Elisabeth's Eyes (Club Dub) 4.41

May be more...Bogart extended, perhaps. Don't know what the 3.48 "edit" of Won't Let The Sun is all about.
Bogart extended was on the Human Racing deluxe but it’s a demo, it’s all too obvious.

Of course it was, yeah checked my Human Racing SDE and I've included it. So I'd be redoing my set just to add the HiNRG mix of Dancing Girls.