Nik Kershaw

I might include it then, as I wasn't planning a Riddle deluxe of my own. Given the amazing one we got officially.

/sarcasm!

And here it is. Riddled by EG.

Nik-Riddle-SDE.jpg

The Riddle was a lot thinner on the ground for extra material....only Don Quixote was remixed/edited of the three 7" singles, whereas Human Racing had 5 singles (including re-issues). Once the new digital sets included the "missing" tracks from 2013 UMG deluxe, I felt I had to put them all together and have a set to match my ones for Human Racing and Radio Musicola.

Making the alt. sleeves is one of my favourite parts.

The Riddle was a lot thinner on the ground for extra material....only Don Quixote was remixed/edited of the three 7" singles, whereas Human Racing had 5 singles (including re-issues). Once the new digital sets included the "missing" tracks from 2013 UMG deluxe, I felt I had to put them all together and have a set to match my ones for Human Racing and Radio Musicola.

It is lovely to see some love being given to Nik's early works.

Okay, a sneak peek at my work-in-progress...only 8 bonus tracks, and that's including multiple heartbeats...

Nik-Musicola-SDE.jpg

When A Heart Beats Now Mix? Is this from one of the NOW compilations?

Also there is a 7" promo edit of When A Heart Beats. 4.08 and Nobody Knows Phil Harding promo remix. I have both but ripped from vinyl if you would like copies.

I look forward to seeing your updated version with the James Cagney Edit & the previously unreleased Extended Version.

Yes, fortunately I didn't commit that first draft of my Radio Musicola deluxe to disc, so I can include all these recently-issued mixes. I've already updated the artwork in readiness.

The version of When A Heart Beats from NOW6 seems to be a unique running time, so with so little extra stuff to include, I thought I'd pop it in.

Actually checking Discogs, there's only a 4sec difference so could be the same. I didn't have my NOW6 CD to hand at the time, so it might end up dropped from my deluxe.

For anyone interested in the Remixes digital downloads, the "edit" of Wide Boy - listed as 3.20 - is in fact the 12" of When A Heart Beats running to 6.15...

Wide Boy was remixed

Wide Boy was remixed

Yes, I added the edits of Wide Boy I already have from other comps and the single/shorter mix is different enough to warrant its place on that final disc of mine. So it's now a 15-track CD3, and Wide Boy 7" starts it off.

Not sure what's happened with the 3.20 Wide Boy from my download.

I wonder if it had been a hit in early 87 if MCA hadn’t given up?

I am not sure TBH. From January 1984 - November 1985 Nik released 8 singles and two albums. Maybe Nik should of had a slightly longer break and kicked started the Radio Musicola era off in September 1986 with the same lead single When A Heart Beats. This would have given people a chance to miss Nik and crave new music.

For anyone interested in the Remixes digital downloads, the "edit" of Wide Boy - listed as 3.20 - is in fact the 12" of When A Heart Beats running to 6.15...

I have not had a chance to sit down and listen to the remix album yet. Hopefully over the weekend I will get some time and see if my downloaded copy is the same.

MCA did him no favours...and I think that's why he fared so much worse than HoJo, Paul Young etc in 1986.

We probably mentioned this before, but The Riddle should have been held back until 1985. Sure, the title cut could have still been the Xmas 84 single, but then if they'd waited till the 2nd single before putting the album out, it would have given them more scope to milk it for 4 singles (Roses as single #4) and not rushed out yet another new track (When A Heart Beats) until 1986.

I'd have skipped Nobody Knows (kept it as an album cut) and gone....When A Heart Beats, Radio Musicola, James Cagney and Don't Let Me Out Of My Cage.