Nik Kershaw

MCA did him no favours...and I think that's why he fared so much worse than HoJo, Paul Young etc in 1986.

We probably mentioned this before, but The Riddle should have been held back until 1985. Sure, the title cut could have still been the Xmas 84 single, but then if they'd waited till the 2nd single before putting the album out, it would have given them more scope to milk it for 4 singles (Roses as single #4) and not rushed out yet another new track (When A Heart Beats) until 1986.

I'd have skipped Nobody Knows (kept it as an album cut) and gone....When A Heart Beats, Radio Musicola, James Cagney and Don't Let Me Out Of My Cage.
My brother always thought Life Goes On might have made a smash, personally not so sure. Running Scared was my fave, which is what the James Cagney 12 reminds me of, in its manicness. Totally agree EG, that’s what I would have done, a la HoJo and I would have Roses ahead of the dreadful Don Quixote… Musodull for me, even Progress was better! I do like Nobody Knows though, very strong single.

MCA did him no favours...and I think that's why he fared so much worse than HoJo, Paul Young etc in 1986.

We probably mentioned this before, but The Riddle should have been held back until 1985. Sure, the title cut could have still been the Xmas 84 single, but then if they'd waited till the 2nd single before putting the album out, it would have given them more scope to milk it for 4 singles (Roses as single #4) and not rushed out yet another new track (When A Heart Beats) until 1986.

I'd have skipped Nobody Knows (kept it as an album cut) and gone....When A Heart Beats, Radio Musicola, James Cagney and Don't Let Me Out Of My Cage.

Totally agree The Riddle should never have been released so early on. I really like your choice for the singles run.

1986 seem to be the year NK, HoJo, PY, TT and even DD careers started to wain with record sales than their previous albums but the decline in interest and sales seemed to more drastic for NK. Two platinum albums followed by silver and then a non charting album. The Works should have received more effort and support from MCA. It is too good an album to have been lost.

I really like Nobody Knows, but it was too samey after Wide Boy and When A Heart Beats, I think.

Until recently, I'd forgotten how badly DD's Notorious did...in at #16, then out of the top 50, never to return. Winter 1986 was brutal for so many acts. Not so much a changing of the guard, but a bloody revolution.

I really like Nobody Knows, but it was too samey after Wide Boy and When A Heart Beats, I think.

Until recently, I'd forgotten how badly DD's Notorious did...in at #16, then out of the top 50, never to return. Winter 1986 was brutal for so many acts. Not so much a changing of the guard, but a bloody revolution.
Carnage it was, I didnt recover till 1988...

I think I prefer Nobody Knows to Heartbeats now, Go West do a good version of it live too.

Oh well remembered....I wonder if I should add Nik's songs to a deluxe. No room on The Riddle disc, maybe Radio Musicola.
Oh well remembered....I wonder if I should add Nik's songs to a deluxe. No room on The Riddle disc, maybe Radio Musicola.

@EricGeneric Radio Musicola Deluxe Edition. Here is what I have for the Radio Musicola singles. These are mixes are a combination of vinyl rips and CD editions.

When A Heat Beats [Single]
When A Heat Beats [Single Version] – 4.16
When A Heat Beats [Extended Version] – 6.04
When A Heat Beats [7” DJ Promo Mix] – 4.07
When A Heat Beats [Edit] [Then & Now 2005] – 3.55
When A Heat Beats [Album Version] – 4.25
When A Heat Beats [Extended Mix] [Extended Versions 2022] – 6.15 but fades and finished by 6.11 and sounds no different to the original extended version

I am sure the 7” DJ Promo Mix and the Then & Now edit are the same mix but have different running times.

Nobody Knows [Single]

Nobody Knows [Single Version] – 4.17
Nobody Knows [Extended Version] – 7.22
Nobody Knows [Phil Harding 12” Promo Mix] – 5.31
Nobody Knows [Album Version] – 4.22
Nobody Knows [Edit] [The Essential 2001] – 4.08
Nobody Knows [Edit] [Then & Now 2005] – 3.08

Radio Musicola [Single]

Radio Musicola [Single Version] – 4.00
Radio Musicola [Extended Version] – 7.11
Radio Musicola [Acetate Room Remix] – 6.52
Radio Musicola [Album Version] – 5.51

James Cagney [Single]

James Cagney [Single Edit] – 4.02
James Cagney [Extended Version] [Extended Remixes 2022] – 5.24
James Cagney [Album Version] – 5.18
James Cagney [Acapella Version] – 4.08

Meanwhile, I've decided to add the 4 Live Aid tracks to the Riddle deluxe, and split the existing 3rd disc into two. Mixes and B-sides, and the Hammersmith/Live Aid performances.

I cannot believe this album, Nik Kershaw's EI8HT has turned 10. Released on 6 August 2012. The same week on 8 August, Nik played the BT Stage at Hyde Park as part of the Olympics concerts. Such a fantastic gig and my first taste of some EI8HT tracks live.

61MY7G1rgFL._SS500_.jpg

nik-kershaw-performs-on-stage-during-bt-london-live-at-hyde-park-on-picture-id149996314

I wish Nik would do some headlining gig here in the UK. His latest album Oxymoron is too good an album not to have its own tour.

Its very strange that he is only playing the festivals now, his UK tours seem to be a thing of the past. Also the fact that Oxymoron is unobtainable on vinyl. To quote the cliche, there is money on the table. I have been lucky to see most of the UK tours in the last 20 years and they are great fun, he is a witty raconteur and a fine guitarist/vocalist, I hope all is well but the pandemic may have changed his behaviour touring wise.

Nobody Knows [Single]
Nobody Knows [Single Version] – 4.17
Nobody Knows [Extended Version] – 7.22
Nobody Knows [Phil Harding 12” Promo Mix] – 5.31
Nobody Knows [Album Version] – 4.22
Nobody Knows [Edit] [The Essential 2001] – 4.08
Nobody Knows [Edit] [Then & Now 2005] – 3.08

Which mix is the one on the 3CD Essential from earlier this year? It runs to 4.14 so time wise it's kind of inbetween the "Single Version" and the "Album Version".

Its very strange that he is only playing the festivals now, his UK tours seem to be a thing of the past. Also the fact that Oxymoron is unobtainable on vinyl. To quote the cliche, there is money on the table. I have been lucky to see most of the UK tours in the last 20 years and they are great fun, he is a witty raconteur and a fine guitarist/vocalist, I hope all is well but the pandemic may have changed his behaviour touring wise.

As you say, Nik is an incredible guitarist/vocalist, extremely witty, funny and does not take himself too seriously. All of which you do not really get to experience at the festivals. It is very frustrating Nik only plays festival dates in this country. Also, he is never a headliner and you are lucky if you get more than half an hour which of course are the same songs.

I remember when Nik started to tour again with his 15 Minutes Tour at the 5 shows I saw except for the London the gigs were virtually empty but quickly over the years that followed, the shows were near full capacity and each and every show whether just Nik and a guitar or Nik with full band they were incredible.

As for Oxymoron, I was lucky enough to get the black vinyl but I believe the green vinyl was limited to about 100 copies. ABSOUTELY CRAZY! Whether Nik believed he would not sell many copies of the vinyl or a supply issue, who knows but what a wasted opportunity.

With the release of Songs From The Shelf series there is even more brilliant material which would be out of this world to hear and see live.

Its so long since I've heard the Room Acetate mix of Radio Musicola, I'll have to find the old hard drives from Kazaa days! I cant remember if its terribly different to the Extended Mix but it was a song that suited many remixes because of its percussive drive.

I guess the green vinyl issue was caused by manufacturing shortages, but tbh the black vinyl cant have been more than 500 copies I guess.

Which mix is the one on the 3CD Essential from earlier this year? It runs to 4.14 so time wise it's kind of inbetween the "Single Version" and the "Album Version".

Sounds like the single version, which is just the album version but with a shorter fade out. Likewise, the album version of WAHB is only about 10 seconds longer and you have to turn the volume up to hear the extra part.

Sounds like the single version, which is just the album version but with a shorter fade out. Likewise, the album version of WAHB is only about 10 seconds longer and you have to turn the volume up to hear the extra part.
Thanks.

I decided to leave my Riddle deluxe as is. There are 4 performances from Live Aid, but I'll keep them on the Live Aid megabox I'm creating. Really surprised how good Nik & Co. sounded on the day (compared to some of the other bands). Pity it was effectively his last hurrah without realising it.