Nik Kershaw

Thanks.

I decided to leave my Riddle deluxe as is. There are 4 performances from Live Aid, but I'll keep them on the Live Aid megabox I'm creating. Really surprised how good Nik & Co. sounded on the day (compared to some of the other bands). Pity it was effectively his last hurrah without realising it.

I was watching his performance the other day and Nik sounded incredible

Thanks.

I decided to leave my Riddle deluxe as is. There are 4 performances from Live Aid, but I'll keep them on the Live Aid megabox I'm creating. Really surprised how good Nik & Co. sounded on the day (compared to some of the other bands). Pity it was effectively his last hurrah without realising it.
Oh yeah. At some stage I want to go through the official Live Aid release and add the tracks that are missing. Since there will be quality differences, I might just add them on separate discs as "outtakes"

Oh yeah. At some stage I want to go through the official Live Aid release and add the tracks that are missing. Since there will be quality differences, I might just add them on separate discs as "outtakes"

Yes, the volume levels are a little off (the official download is slightly louder), but it's not too bad. I can see why some tracks were omitted (Ultravox's set is an absolute mess at the beginning and was plagued by sound issues), but some of the missing stuff is ace. I'd forgotten how good the "new" Spandau song actually sounded on the day, much better than the eventual studio version 18 months later).

Yes, the volume levels are a little off (the official download is slightly louder), but it's not too bad. I can see why some tracks were omitted (Ultravox's set is an absolute mess at the beginning and was plagued by sound issues), but some of the missing stuff is ace. I'd forgotten how good the "new" Spandau song actually sounded on the day, much better than the eventual studio version 18 months later).
The full Spandau set is on the expanded version:
Live Aid (Live, 13th July 1985) ... | Various Artists | High Quality Music Downloads | 7digital United Kingdom

New Nik Kershaw & band UK gig for 2023. The first solo headline gig in ages.

https://www.thefactorylive.co.uk/event/nik-kershaw

NIK+K+SQUARE+%28Facebook+Event+Cover%29-2.png

Fingers crossed Nik and band do a few more solo gigs in 2023.

This came up in a misheard lyrics thread on another forum recently... but what is the actual lyric in the middle 8 of 'Wide Boy'? Most internet sites (which are often just what a fan/listener typed out in the 90s and other lyrics sites copied the same source, so are in no way authoritative) say "with your symmetry teeth", but Nick sings a word that has four syllables in it, and symmetry only has three.

I always heard it as cemetery teeth... meaning (in my mind, anyway) like Hollywood 'perfect' (but totally fake) teeth. Hard/straight as a headstone teeth. Veneers, bleached unnaturally white.

Are there any 'official' lyrics stating what this line is? I haven't bothered to check my 2-CD reissue of The Riddle.

This came up in a misheard lyrics thread on another forum recently... but what is the actual lyric in the middle 8 of 'Wide Boy'? Most internet sites (which are often just what a fan/listener typed out in the 90s and other lyrics sites copied the same source, so are in no way authoritative) say "with your symmetry teeth", but Nick sings a word that has four syllables in it, and symmetry only has three.

I always heard it as cemetery teeth... meaning (in my mind, anyway) like Hollywood 'perfect' (but totally fake) teeth. Hard/straight as a headstone teeth. Veneers, bleached unnaturally white.

Are there any 'official' lyrics stating what this line is? I haven't bothered to check my 2-CD reissue of The Riddle.

I remember Nik addressing this way back in the early days of the internet (1998-ish), when there were discussion groups for artists that they would sometimes contribute to (or have someone in a capacity to pass on replies). Pretty sure it's "cemetery". I'd always thought it was "symmetry" but "cemetery" makes sense and scans better.

I remember Nik addressing this way back in the early days of the internet (1998-ish), when there were discussion groups for artists that they would sometimes contribute to (or have someone in a capacity to pass on replies). Pretty sure it's "cemetery". I'd always thought it was "symmetry" but "cemetery" makes sense and scans better.
I agree, I always thought it was cemetery - I guess the analogy was gravestones. I still hope one day the 1983 version of Wide Boy will come out, though it isnt my favourite song of his tbh.

Thanks for the clarification.

I forgot to add - "symmetry" also does not make sense (to me). Firstly, "symmetry teeth" is not grammatically correct; you would surely use symmetrical if 'symmetry' was meant to describe the teeth. Secondly, I've never heard of teeth being described as symmetrical. Faces, yes, but not teeth.

Booked a handful of gigs. Cannot wait!

Before then I have a gig in Woking on 24 April. I am hoping the setlist will be similar to the gig at Fuglsøcentret, Knebel, Denmark on 13 January 2023.

Setlist

1. These Tears
  2. Wide Boy
  3. Can't Get Arrested
  4. Dancing Girls
  5. The Chosen Ones
  6. The Riddle
  7. Roundabouts and Swings
  8. When a Heart Beats
  9. Stick Around
  10. The One and Only
    (Chesney Hawkes cover)
  11. Radio Musicola
  12. Bogart
  13. Don Quixote
  14. Cowboys and Indians
  15. Only You
    (Yazoo cover)
  16. Wouldn't It Be Good
  17. The Sky's the Limit
  18. You Might
  19. I Won't Let the Sun Go Down on Me
  20. Roses
I have never seen Nik perform Radio Musicola before so it will be a real treat if he keeps in it in the setlist.