Nintendo

Like the old (S)NES games and such, but also the extra tracks for Mario Kart.. are all of those only available as long as you're subscribed and completely gone/unavailable once you sign off,

Yeah, they're only for subscribers, though you also have the option to buy the extra tracks and play them without a subscription if you prefer, though of course with a subscription you get them "for free".

and more importantly: is there a risk that you won't be able to play them once they (some day) decide to stop supporting online content for the switch (like they've done for the Wii en Wii-U)?

I don't think we can really know that for sure, but at the very least I'm sure they'll be playable for many years still, as it's pretty much a given Nintendo will bring all this stuff from the Switch to the next console.

Mvnl

Staff member
Yeah, they're only for subscribers, though you also have the option to buy the extra tracks and play them without a subscription if you prefer, though of course with a subscription you get them "for free".

I don't think we can really know that for sure, but at the very least I'm sure they'll be playable for many years still, as it's pretty much a given Nintendo will bring all this stuff from the Switch to the next console.
Ah okay thanks.
But is pretty much everything online now? Not like the virtual store before where once you purchase an (old) game it's on your console for good?

Ah okay thanks.
But is pretty much everything online now? Not like the virtual store before where once you purchase an (old) game it's on your console for good?

The old games (NES, SNES, N64, GB and GBA) are only available through the subscription, yes, you can't actually buy any of them individually. How it works is you have an emulator for each of the old consoles on your Switch dashboard, and you access all available games from each console through those emulators. I'm pretty sure they haven't removed any games since they started doing this service, and more get added every now and then too, so basically you'll have access to all the currently available games plus any more they add in the future "for good" as long as you stay subscribed.

Mvnl

Staff member
The old games (NES, SNES, N64, GB and GBA) are only available through the subscription, yes, you can't actually buy any of them individually. How it works is you have an emulator for each of the old consoles on your Switch dashboard, and you access all available games from each console through those emulators. I'm pretty sure they haven't removed any games since they started doing this service, and more get added every now and then too, so basically you'll have access to all the currently available games plus any more they add in the future "for good" as long as you stay subscribed.
Alright, that at least sounds like I'll get enough out of it.
Lowkey consider replacing my existing consoles, but as it is I'm still stuck with a wii to play Mario Kart Double Dash and the Wii U.. well I guess that could theoretically go if I fancy buying some of the same games again for the Switch

So I've been wanting a switch (mainly for Oddysey) ever since it came out and between possibly getting some extra money this weekend + black friday deals I might just go for it now.
What I'm wondering: does anyone know how it works with the online content/membership?
Like the old (S)NES games and such, but also the extra tracks for Mario Kart.. are all of those only available as long as you're subscribed and completely gone/unavailable once you sign off, and more importantly: is there a risk that you won't be able to play them once they (some day) decide to stop supporting online content for the switch (like they've done for the Wii en Wii-U)?
Alright, that at least sounds like I'll get enough out of it.
Lowkey consider replacing my existing consoles, but as it is I'm still stuck with a wii to play Mario Kart Double Dash and the Wii U.. well I guess that could theoretically go if I fancy buying some of the same games again for the Switch
You need the Nintendo Switch Online paid membership in order to access the games; NES, SNES and Gameboy are included in the standard plan, N64, GBA require the more expensive "Expansion Pack" that also comes with some DLC that you would otherwise have to pay for (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Animal Crossing, Splatoon). The console "knows" how long your membership is valid, so while you can play the games without an active Internet connection, you can no longer access them once your membership runs out. And while Nintendo has said that they are planning on continuing the Switch's online services even on future consoles, I think their recent (Wii U/3DS eShop and online play etc.) as well as past decisions (Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection) pretty much confirm that one day the service will inevitably end and the games will no longer be accessible. So if the games you have downloaded on your Wii U are important to you and you wouldn't want them to one day become unavailable for you (even if just temporarily, i.e. until whatever next online service makes them available again), you should probably hold on to your Wii U.

Personally, I'm not a fan of only being able to rent games or movies, series or whatever, so while having them available via Nintendo Switch Online is definitely convenient, I'm glad that I still have all my favourite classic games on my Wii U and that nobody can ever take them away from me. And even if that should ever break, I have them all backed up thanks to Homebrew.

Last edited:

Mvnl

Staff member
Is there anywhere where I can see what digital copies of games cost before I have my Switch?
(Like 3D Allstars is ridiculously priced as a physical now, but no idea if the digital version is any better?)

Is there anywhere where I can see what digital copies of games cost before I have my Switch?
(Like 3D Allstars is ridiculously priced as a physical now, but no idea if the digital version is any better?)

3D All Stars is a unique case because it was only for sale for a limited time, both physically and digitally. Digitally it hasn't been available for over two years and physically what you're seeing is the remaining copies, that's why it's so expensive. I'm pretty sure basically every other Switch game you can buy a physical copy of for normal prices, aside from maybe some smaller games with limited pressings (though you can always get those digitally instead).

As for your question, you can just check digital prices at the game's page on the official Nintendo site (if you Google any Switch game that is always one of the top results), or use a site like DekuDeals to keep track of a game's price. I find that pretty convenient when I come across a new (old) game I'm interested in, to check stuff like when it last went on sale, how often it does and what you can expect it to go for when it's on sale again. Though when you do have a Switch you can just add any games you're interested in to your wishlist on the eShop and you'll be notified when any of them go on sale.

Mvnl

Staff member
Thanks!
Found a seller on an online marketplace who's got Odyssey, 3D Mario + Allstars for sale so hoping to make a good deal out of that.

I was considering the (black friday?) bundle which game with Kart + a 3 month membership but I think that's only a membership with the basic (S)NES-games plus I'd be stuck to a blue/red one and.. white looks so much prettier?
So seperate switch + some second hand games seems appealing

Well, you can just upgrade your subscription from the basic one that only includes NES/SNES/GB games to the tier that includes everything for the price difference between the two, so that part doesn't really make much difference.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Switch has a two for 99€ deal that includes pretty much every big first party game (aside from 3D All Stars since that's not for sale anymore). I don't think it's really that great a deal and have never used it myself, but I imagine it might come in handy for people just getting a Switch.

Also, something else to keep in mind is the Switch has limited storage space (though you can expand it with a microSD card), and while digital games take up space, physical ones don't (aside from patches/DLC), so unless you're not planning on getting a lot of games, going physical rather than digital for the big ones can be a good idea.

Mvnl

Staff member
Well, you can just upgrade your subscription from the basic one that only includes NES/SNES/GB games to the tier that includes everything for the price difference between the two, so that part doesn't really make much difference.

Another thing to keep in mind is the Switch has a two for 99€ deal that includes pretty much every big first party game (aside from 3D All Stars since that's not for sale anymore). I don't think it's really that great a deal and have never used it myself, but I imagine it might come in handy for people just getting a Switch.

Also, something else to keep in mind is the Switch has limited storage space (though you can expand it with a microSD card), and while digital games take up space, physical ones don't (aside from patches/DLC), so unless you're not planning on getting a lot of games, going physical rather than digital for the big ones can be a good idea.
Thanks for the extra info!
The person I saw asked 35/30 euros for Mario 3D + Odyssey and 70 for Allstars so I offerered 125 for the lot which seems fair if he agrees. I kinda like having physical games (though with my Wii U sometimes I just was too lazy to change a disc and played whatever was on there)

Also: anyone got a white one? Do the joy cons scratch/get dirty easily?

Last edited:
@Mvnl another thing that might be interesting for you – there are family plans available for Nintendo Switch Online, which can save you a lot of money. And even if you don't have seven other people among your friends or family or whatever, check Ebay! People are selling family plan memberships on there, that way I ended up paying just above € 10 for a one-year NSO Expansion Pack membership (whereas the regular price for one person would've been € 39.99}.

Looks like a pretty promising start to the content updates. Probably would have made more sense for stuff like look book and the Muse catalog to be in the game from the get-go, but at least we didn't have to wait long for them to be added.

I beat Super Mario RPG yesterday. It took me 22 hours to do everything, including all the post-game bosses, so I'm pretty sure that must have been the shortest (non-indie) JRPG I've ever played. I enjoyed it a lot though, the gameplay was fairly simple but still engaging, but the best part of the game was definitely the humour and charm. The characters re-enacting what had happened in the story never failed to make me laugh, the level up screen with everyone dancing was the cutest thing, and Mallow has to be my favourite Mario character ever, just absolutely adorable. He actually reminded me of Vivi from Final Fantasy IX a lot, which is very high praise (it actually got me wondering if Vivi wasn't somewhat inspired by Mallow, there were definitely quite a few similarities between the two characters). One thing I found disappointing at first was that the world didn't really feel like a proper JRPG world and more like a bunch of disconnected areas you go through, I was expecting more along the lines of classic Final Fantasy worlds, and it wasn't quite that, though I did get used to it and I suppose it made sense for it to be that way given it was based on a typical Mario world, and also the platforming bits didn't really work well due to the isometric view, though thankfully there were only like a couple points in the game where that was an issue. The mystery treasures were also a pain to find, they really could have changed how those worked. But yeah, aside from those minor issues I liked the game a lot, very here for Nintendo to bring more of these games to the Switch.

Fire Emblem... I started playing a very old GBA version and was having tons of fun, but the minute one of my characters died and I couldn't get them back I was done.

Fire Emblem brigade rise up!

I am extremely late with this, but my friend introduced me to Fire Emblem: Three Houses recently and I'm absolutely hooked. I already see there's follow-ups, I hope they're just as good!

Three Houses is a bit of an anomaly in the franchise in that the monastery is very fleshed out and there's no direct comparison in any of the other games outside of Engage (Fates at a stretch but it's a lot more barren with that aspect). If you like the combat parts then I'd highly recommend other entries as that's the main selling point of the series! I love Three Houses but the map variety is its biggest weak spot for me.

New images for Nintendo Switch Online
EbVz23priQBMlLJcIxTSUJm4.jpg