No Angels - 20 (Greatest Hits) + General Discussion | Page 4 | The Popjustice Forum

No Angels - 20 (Greatest Hits) + General Discussion

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Danniiboy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Straight people don't use condoms. Scary but true.

I don't think 10 years is harsh, if someone is going to die as a result of her actions.

2. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

10 years isn't "a bit harsh", it's not enough.

3. Well then it isn't, but they can prove whether you know or not. The suggestion is that this girl knew.

4. Um, I think a number of us do. Me, personally, because I'd rather not be responsible for a child as yet, and also because, well, it's the sensible thing, isn't it?

5. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

A straight friend of mine didn't use a condom once and I gave her such a bloody talking to, she'll be carrying around condoms with my glaring face on them from now on.

6. I applaud you. I was making a generalisation, however my experience is that gay men take STIs etc way more seriously than straight people. I've had countless arguments with girls who think that going on the pill is a reasonable alternative to using condoms when engaging in casual sex.

7. No, but seriously, what if you give someone HIV and you don't know you have it?

This comes across as incredibly wrong to me. Everything about the story screams injustice. Someone did get HIV from it I suppose but if she has HIV herself then she could well die in prison!

8. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

Then I think it's just sad times all round, but without the criminal convictions.

9. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Well she should have thought of that before she knowingly risked someone else getting it.

10. Nobody can be blamed if you give someone HIV if you don't know you have it. But presumably she is being prosecuted because she'd had an official diagnosis and had perhaps even started treatment? In that case she would be acting illegally.

I think survival rates for HIV have risen to above 10 years now? She may well survive prison.

11. Fuck her. She is a bitch for what she's done.

12. I suppose a lot of you are pro-capital punishment then?

Personally I don't think any kind of crime gives any human being the right to devalue another.

13. No problem. I'm happy that I seem to be amongst a more learned group of people. My best friend has been with his girlfriend for three years now, they live together and she's on the pill, and he still uses condoms.

I can see your angle on this, Num, but there are so many grey areas in a case like this. You couldn't judge every one by the same standard criteria. If she did know and didn't advise them, and on top of that this happened with three different people, this is bordering on obscene. If she didn't know, that would change everything about how this is looked at.

EDIT: The consensus seems to be she did know. Not good at all.

14. She'll still have access to the medication I assume she takes for if she goes to prison. And don't quote me on this but I think you can live for about twenty years or more before it develops into something else.

15. Charley

Charley Staff Member

I was talking about the daughter when I said 'poor girl'.

I am not.

16. multimediac17

multimediac17 Moderator

I don't know if you're including me in this, but I'm actually really against capital punishment. In my eyes though, this is a case of murder. And murder deserves more than 10 years in jail.

On a general note, nothing in my life scares me more than HIV/AIDS. Nothing. When people say "Whats your worst fear?" I usually say something stupid like spiders but it's really getting a disease like that. So to see someone knowingly going around infecting people absolutely makes my blood boil.

17. My stance is odd. I'm not pro-capital punishment. I can't stand that ritualised idea of killing someone, not in that formal way.

Yet there are some people...those guys who kicked that girl to death because she looked like a Goth.

Would I like to see them hanged in public? No.
    Lethal injection? No.

Would I like to be allowed to go into their cells with some knives, a crowbar, a baseball bat, a gun and a shitload of ammo, and take them out in a very painful, prolonged fashion? Yes.

18. Absolutely not. It's a matter of principle for me, altho often I have emotional reactions to certain crimes like sifr and think how much someone deserves to die for a certain crime, I don't think it should actually be carried out.

What do you mean by your second point?

19. It's all over the news here in Germany. I was really, really shocked when I read about this. She has quite a troubled past (Crack addiction in her teens, early motherhood), but still, there is no excuse for this. If somehow it can be proven that she did it (which seems to be difficult since it's been some time and the virus mutates fast) she can go to jail alright.

Interestingly, some German AIDS/HIV-awareness organisations are against the way she is treated in the media. They fear that, since you cannot be prosecuted if you didn't know you're positive, some people will refrain from getting tested so that they cannot be held to account if they infect someone.

20. I think what I was trying to say was that I can't stand the idea of one human being deciding that another one doesn't deserve to live. Everyone has done bad things they wish they hadn't and not been caught, and even a truly vile, disgusting act shouldn't take away a person's right to life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.