No Angels - "Daylight" + 20 (Greatest Hits) | Page 8 | The Popjustice Forum

No Angels - "Daylight" + 20 (Greatest Hits)

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by Danniiboy, Jan 9, 2008.

1. What if Robyn had covered The Cure's "Close To You"?

It would probably sound like this brilliant new leak from Vanessa Petruo's (Ex-member of the Girlgroup "No Angels") forthcoming album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szRhtX4Fkn8

The story of her career has been a pretty longwinded and exhausting one. Her journey started 2004, after the split of the group she released the fairly genius "Army Of Lovers"-throwback "Drama Queen", but instead of following through with the Pop-sound she shelved the album she recorded, parted ways with her label and released a boring soul/jazz album called "Mama Lilla Would" in 2005. She didn't want to join the NA reunion in 2007 and was working on another album, which never got released in the end.

Now she seems to be back doing the type of music that made her famous in the first place.

2. Charley

Charley Staff Member

So the trial has begun.

Apparently she got HIV in 1999, but decided not to tell most people because "she was told that the chances of transmitting it were small and that she didn't want her child to be stigmatised". Not even the other band members knew.

Between 2000 and 2004 she had unprotected sex with three men, one of which also got infected. She admits that at the time she knew she had it and that she was negligent. The infected partner only found out in 2007 after Nadja's aunt told him Nadja was HIV positive.

The guy, who wants to remain anonymous, said he was never after money. He asked her to publicly acknowledge what she did and asked her to donate to an AIDS charity. When she didn't and despite No Angel's management offering him money to keep things quiet, he sued her.

Because she was underage at the time of the incident, she is appearing before youth court. A verdict is expected on August 26th.

3. Knowingly having any sexually communicable disease and having unprotected sex without informing the partner can result in a prosecution and rightly so.

Saw this story on the news last night.

4. Mr.Arroz

Mr.Arroz Staff Member

This is all so messed up.

5. Bitch is crazy.

6. Rob

Rob

Such a shame this scandal has killed the Angels careers right before they released their strongest album. She was incredibly stupid. Since she was underage at the time, does that mean she'll definitely avoid jail time?

7. I had to quote this just to put things into perspective for 'Londoncalling'.

8. I'd totally forgot about this until I saw it on the news last night. Crazy woman. I hope she doesn't avoid prison just because she was underage.

9. I had to laugh at this snippet from the article on Gawker about the trial:

10. Charley

Charley Staff Member

Nadja has been convicted and got a two-year suspended prison sentence and 300 hours of community service.

11. SockMonkey

SockMonkey Guest

Bizarre story really. She should have told them, they should have used a condom. It's certainly not a 100% blame on her part.

12. At first I thought you were talking about the group Nobody's Angel.

13. I am glad she didn't go to prison. She should not have had sex without a condom though. Wanting to keep it a secret is fine but she should then use protection.

The men were in the wrong for not using protection aswell though. They shouldn't sleep with women assuming that if they have an STD, they will know about it and tell them about it.

14. This all boils down to the fact that this is a sexually transmitted disease.

I think it's wrong to criminalise HIV in this way. Are people prosecuted for passing on Hepatitis C? Gonorrhea? Chlamydia? TB? Influenza? where do you stop?

Her actions were immoral, selfish, plain wrong but that shouldn't automatically make them criminal.

Consenting to unprotected sex is a risk. Period. These "victims" made a choice to sleep with this young girl. Criminalising people with HIV completely absolves others from taking responsibility for their own sexual health.

No wonder STIs have risen to half a million this year. It's always someone else's fault isn't it?

15. You can't place HIV in the same sentence as other STIs because HIV kills you.

By having unprotected sex with someone and knowingly passing on HIV is handing someone a death sentence and I really think jail was the only necessary for this.

The condom excuse isn't fair either. Yes they should have worn a condom but at the same time, you would think the person you're about to have sex with would have the common decency, morals etc to tell you that they have fucking HIV!

If it was me this had happened to, she wouldn't be going to jail, I would be for killing her!

If this was a man, the book would have been thrown at them.

16. @Shockbox

I disagree. HIV is not fatal, AIDS is. Not all HIV infections now inevitably lead to AIDS and death. There are many other deadly infective diseases.

I also think it's VERY naive to rely on people always being honest about these things and have the same moral values as you. One has to take the decision out of other people's hands and use protection. Otherwise it is a risk, a risk one should accept and stopblaming others for.

17. That's a massive risk to take. I think its really wrong to have sex with someone knowing you have hiv and not telling them. You are putting someone at great risk and if they aren't smart enough to ask, you SHOULD be telling them. I don't care that she was reckless or scared, any decent human being would tell someone.

I do agree with you that it is naive to rely on people. People are so untrustworthy. Thats why I would ALWAYS protect myself.

18. A similar situation happened in Edmonton, Canada a couple of years ago. An HIV positive CFL player had sex with around 30 different women, one of them contracted the disease. His defense lawyers brought up the fact that they had sex over 100 times, during the course of their relationship. Anyways, he was sentenced to serve a couple of years in jail.

I don't know if he's out. Either way, I fully believe that people need to take responsibility. Check yourself, as well as your partner before sleeping with them. If they get offended than tell them to **** off.

19. Any fans of this group? They were imo one of the best Popstars girl groups and their albums have bops for days. Been jamming to Something About Us

Justified_bln and Whisky87 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.