No Doubt (2024 Reunion + Coachella)

Wait a minute, It's My Life only got to Number 20 in the UK???
It felt everwhere at the time, especially the video on The Box.
This is a shock to me too as I remember it being everywhere back in late 2003, I assumed top 5. BBC Radio 2 have started playing it again recently.

Most of the alternative/punk/nu metal bands did an 80s cover song. It was very a 'in' thing. Marilyn Manson/Tainted Love. Coal Chamber/Shock The Monkey. Dope/You Spin Me Round. Limp Bizkit/Faith. Alien Ant Farm/Smooth Criminal. Korn/Word Up. The Ataris/Boys Of Summer. It made sense for No Doubt to do that and the did it amazingly well. I have to say my favourite was always the Orgy version of Blue Monday.

Also the CD singles of charting hits were like 4 quid back then - the whole album was probably on sale for 7 pounds if you looked around. It was a hit!

Their three signature hits are Just a Girl, Don't Speak and It's My Life.

I was surprised by Hey Baby only having half as many streams as Hella Good and Underneath it All.

Wait a minute, It's My Life only got to Number 20 in the UK???
It felt everwhere at the time, especially the video on The Box.
It had a double outing (in the UK!) which increased its longevity; it was re-released. According to Wikipedia, It’s My Life was released in November 2003, peaking at 20, then there was a re-issue in March 2004 alongside a Bathwater remix. I recall both videos were on the music channels constantly. I think that double A-side had It’s My Life doing the rounds for months - I also recall it being everywhere.

Last edited:
It's My Life helped the Best Of becoming their best selling album in the UK like @Vasilios said.

The same thing happened with Don't Speak in the US. The label didn't release a CD single on purpose to drive sales of the album and it worked, it's one of the best selling albums of all time even if it only has one "official" top40 hit with Just A Girl.

Most of the alternative/punk/nu metal bands did an 80s cover song. It was very a 'in' thing. Marilyn Manson/Tainted Love. Coal Chamber/Shock The Monkey. Dope/You Spin Me Round. Limp Bizkit/Faith. Alien Ant Farm/Smooth Criminal. Korn/Word Up. The Ataris/Boys Of Summer. It made sense for No Doubt to do that and the did it amazingly well. I have to say my favourite was always the Orgy version of Blue Monday.
At least No Doubt’s was a cover of a band that was close to their new wave roots, these other girls just picked a Now 80s and hitt record dd.

As everyone said 'It's My Life' was culturally huge in the UK, they were a rare act who could be heavily playlisted on all primary music channels, as well as the alt MTV2 and adult contemporary stations.

Was also released during peak P2P download era, just as iTunes was still trying to catch up, when singles sales were low for pretty much everyone.

At least No Doubt’s was a cover of a band that was close to their new wave roots, these other girls just picked a Now 80s and hitt record dd.
I don't even think half of those bands chose those songs. They were probably given them by the label!

She/Her
Speaking of New, the remixed version on the Rarities sounds like it was before it was Glen Ballardised especially towards the end. That was more of the Tragic Kingdom ska sound. I didn’t realise that till later.

I adore that version.

Echo the sentiment that "It's My Life" felt like a big hit - Top 5 at least - and not a measly Top 20. I remember the various music video channels playing the video a lot, back when that mattered.

"Don't Speak" aside, I could have sworn "Hey Baby" was their signature hit everywhere. Maybe just cus it was a multi-week #1 in the Hot 100 In My Mind Charts.