♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#46 - Approved by the president) ♚ | Page 40 | The Popjustice Forum

♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#46 - Approved by the president) ♚

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Mar 14, 2021.

?

What is your favourite studio album by No Doubt?

1. No Doubt (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Beacon Street Collection (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tragic Kingdom (1995)

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. Return of Saturn (2000)

15 vote(s)
    28.8%
  5. Rock Steady (2001)

18 vote(s)
    34.6%
  6. Push and Shove (2012)

4 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. How did this mediocre cover outlast quite a few Return Of Saturn, Rock Steady and Push And Shove tracks??

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  2. The guys are back together...

...and so is this rate tomorrow!

3. I came here to catch up after vacation and turns out I had nothing catch up on dd.

4. [​IMG]
    Hope you had a great vacation!

Also, I lied when saying that the next elimination is coming today. Since the exam season is finally ending tomorrow, my focus on this rate will become a priority and it will consequently be moving much more swiftly.

5. It's time for an... elimination?

[​IMG]

In 30 minutes oop

Sorry, I have a headache and am struggling to finish the write-up. Feel free to speculate in the meantime.

6. [​IMG]

It's over...

Yep, it's over...

But, really, it's over...

...okay, I'll stop.

I want to fill my glass up with you constantly...

[​IMG]

End It on This

Average score: 7.496

Highest score: 10 x 2 (@Maria, @Babylon)
    Lowest score: 5 x 3 (@DJHazey, @Damita Jo, @Angeleyes)
    My score: 9

High peak: #46 (12 voters)
    Low peak: #78 (6 voters)

I... thought this was a fan favourite? Actually, this is a fan favourite, just didn't translate here at all. Yet another reason for me not to trust this forum. Anyway, "End It on This" becomes the fourth elimination from "Tragic Kingdom", barely scrapping the top half of the ranking. Between the high and low ones, it pretty much received the whole range of scores, which resulted in a balanced average. It's also the first song to achieve average score that is higher than the total average of all 100 songs. Little victories etc.

"End It on This" was written by Gwen Stefani, Tom Dumont, Tony Kanal and Eric Stefani and released on "Tragic Kingdom" as its penultimate (13th) track. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any background info about the song, but it's pretty clear that it was written after Gwen and Tony's breakup and while Eric was still a part of the band. The song definitely gained an abundance of respect among fans, which was confirmed by it being voted as the most underrated song from this album on No Doubt's biggest fansite. It's safe to say that it's among the most beloved songs by the band themselves, too, since it's one of the most performed songs and among the three most performed album tracks in their career, appearing on every tour since "Tragic Kingdom" one, including the 2009 Summer Tour, promo performances supporting "Push and Shove", and 2015 summer shows. Look at all that acclaim and you barely made it reach top 50. Mess...

Being one of the darkest songs in terms of subject matter, "End It on This" is among the (many) highlights of its parent album and an essential track, too. If there's anything separating it from the rest of the tracks on "Tragic Kingdom", it's that prominent and fantastic piano riff that, surprise surprise, Eric is responsible for. It's brilliantly paired with Tom's roaring guitar work and really brings the whole thing come together. The melody in the verses is fantastic and slightly less so during the chorus, but Gwen's delivery throughout the song is on point. The climax where the guitar solo makes way for the spectacular clash of instruments following the middle-8 and extending to the outro is one of the best examples of No Doubt's team work, where each member shines equally. That whole sense of urgency that the song carries is marvelous and really makes the song exciting front to back. Lyrically speaking, like many of the tracks featured on "Tragic Kingdom", it chronicles Gwen and Tony's breakup, but some fans thought it might be theme can be linked to alcoholism addiction, which can surely be used as a parallel but... doesn't really fit the narrative here. It's very telling that Gwen's toxic relationship where she just knows things aren't going to work but keeps coming back to it is being described here ("You see it's hard to face / The addict that's inside of me"), and opts for one last kiss as the final step towards the breakup. It also offers some more detailed lyricism in the middle-8, which is greatly appreciated, and the repetition of 'it's over' during the outro feels like Gwen is trying to come to terms with the current situation. In a sense, it can be seen as the frantic version of "Don't Speak". While a part of me feels like it would work better if it was a tiny bit more restrained, the other thinks that the song is excellent the way it is, mainly because the unhinged nature of the song perfectly reflects the lyrics depicting the culmination of the famous breakup.
    So, how did this end up leaving among the first tracks from this album? I'm genuinely clueless. It's quite surprising to see it leave before the likes of "Different People" and "Climb", which, don't get me wrong, are excellent tracks in their own right. I wish I slightly bumped my score for it, actually. Not like it would change much placement-wise, but it definitely deserves more praise.

Speaking of praise, the commentary has some of it. @berserkboi (8.5) is certainly digging the tune - he says: "I really enjoy the “rock” edge here!", while @Sprockrooster (6) tries to hide his lack of taste with some puns: "Thank God the album did not end on this." While the actual album closer is better, I will not tolerate slander for this lovely song. Let's end it on (pun intended) a positive note with @AshleyKerwin (9), who points out: "I love the horn (?) towards the end of the song." Whichever instrument it is, we love to see the words of love towards this song.

"Let's end it on this, give me one more kiss..."

Next up: A song that has one thing in common with "Trapped in a Box" that no other eliminated song has so far.

7. Tasteless. It's a great song! It deserved to stay until the top 20.

Untouchable Ace, Maki and berserkboi like this.
  8. "End It on This" performances I didn't post in the write-up - from three different decades:

And a hint for the next elimination:

[​IMG]

9. You really are the king of obtuse elimination hints! Unless they have a song I’ve forgotten called Oprah - I cant begin to imagine what this is ddd

Maki and Maria like this.
  10. Yesterday was a National Album Day, and the song we're about to lose appeared on at least four different albums.

If god came down on Christmas Day, I know exactly what he'd say...

[​IMG]

Oi to the World

Average score: 7.511

Highest score: 10 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @WowWowWowWow)
    Lowest score: 4 x 1 (@clowezra)
    My score: 7

High peak: #28 (7 voters)
    Low peak: #48 (26-27 voters)

The extras section is down to only and, in a shocking turn of events, that song is "It's My Life". Taking the silver medal from its section, "Oi to the World" was actually holding on pretty damn well during the voting process, maintaining a top 40 (and briefly a top 30) position before the last few voters, who pushed it down to its low peak position. It also received a relatively wide range of scores, including a few of lower ones. Still, it did better than I expected.
    Random trivia: the artwork used here is actually a photo of a fanmade T-shirt, since the song was never released as an official single, so I just added 'No Doubt' to it and called it a day.

"Oi to the World" was written by Joe Escalante, the bassist of punk rock band The Vandals, and was first released by that band on October 8, 1996, appearing on their Christmas album titled "Oi to the World!" this time with an exclamation mark. The Vandals maintained a close friendship with fellow Orange County band No Doubt, who recorded this song in Nashville and debuted it live a week later in Camden, New Jersey on June 20, 1997. The song was officially released on the compilation album "A Very Special Christmas 3" (as part of a series benefiting the Special Olympics) on September 23, 1997 and features on the same European "Happy Now?" promo single, released on the same date. Finally, it appeared on "Everything in Time" compilation from 2003/2004 and its music video on "The Videos: 1992-2003" DVD. That's a lot of re-releases, but still a dozen less than Gwen's Christmas album. As for live performances, No Doubt played it more than a handful of times on the later outings of Tragic Kingdom Tour during 1997 and a couple of notable television performances on both MTV’s Live N’ Loud and VH1’s Race to Erase MS Benefit in the fall of 1997. No wonder such a random song became famous - literally anything would that was released during the total No Doubt craze.

Let's start by discussing the original version a bit. The Vandals, with album titles such as "Hitler Bad, Vandals Good" and "Live Fast, Diarrhea", obviously deal with serious stuff in their lyricism and "Oi to the World" is another product of that. With the song's theme literally having nothing to do with Christmas except the actions depicted in the song occurring on Christmas Day, The Vandals really knew how to get around with low-effort work. The first version of the song from 1996 is a 2-minute punk tune with noticeably weaker vocals and production than the No Doubt's version (which was ironically produced by the The Vandals' guitarist, Warren Fitzgerald), and in 2000 the Christmas got a random re-release, with the song having a spoken word intro added to it. While No Doubt did a really nice ska-infused cover of this holiday punk ditty, it's still among the punkiest songs in their discography. As a song, "Oi to the World" is certainly a fun little romp, but can hardly be considered among the band's most essential songs and I rarely seek for it. Gwen and her bandmates certainly deliver the energy needed, with trumpets boosting their signature sound, especially during the instrumental breakdown, and the catchiness is a plus, but there's really not that much to it. I think it shouldn't have outlasted multiple masterpieces and bowed out in the lower half of the leaderboard, but you decided otherwise. It's not really as overrated as some other songs, so I guess it's all good.

Remember when No Doubt invented Hinduism? Me neither, but they sure loved to embrace it in the music video, which was filmed while they were touring in India (someone literally did a full-on dissection of the video and I'm living for/relating to this level of extra). I will note that the slightly cheesy ending scene when they all hug is a nod to ska movement of embracing/accepting racial differences and fighting against discrimination, and that's a really nice touch. Speaking of the music video, @Angeleyes (8) mentions a specific moment: "The most memorable part of this to me is the text effect "Love and Unity" in the sky." Well, that slogan can evidently be applied to the general commentary this song received. Among the high scorers, @Sprockrooster (10) states: "The way this would have fitted perfectly on Tragic Kingdom. How we missed out on an even stronger magnum opus." I don't agree with that, but it would've been a really cute bonus track (especially because it was recorded two years after the album was done). @bonnieetclyde (9) simply exclaims: "I love this!" and, giving it the same score, @berserkboi (9) is surprisingly here for this sound: "A very good spin on this tune/concept!" And the answer to the Oprah connection lies here:

"Oi to the world and everybody wins!"

The original (2000 re-release) version:

Next up: A song that I was very pleasantly surprised by seeing it receive multiple perfect scores.

11. That 5 for End It On This isn't my lowest score on the album but I'll take it obviously. Oi to the World is a fun one and probably lasted as long as it was ever going to.

Untouchable Ace, Maria and Maki like this.
  12. "Oi to the World" is quite peculiar release. I always have an impression that it was an official single, mainly because of the music video, when it was pretty much a Christmas gift for the fans. I wonder if that status helped its placement in this rate. Whichever the case, here's a performance that wasn't already posted, with Adrian casually mooning at the audience midway through:

In what may be the last live outing of the song, in 2000, No Doubt performed a special version of it for KROQ’s Almost Acoustic Christmas which opened their set with a medley, where they paired "Oi To The World" with the holiday carol "Good King Wenceslas":

(audio)

And since the last two eliminations were "End It on This" and "Oi to the World", it only makes sense to post No Doubt's cover of "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)" by R.E.M. which they performed at MTV New Year's Eve 2000:

Looks like I won't finish the next elimination tonight, as it's one of my favourites, so you can guess until it's posted. It's not a song from "Tragic Kingdom" and definitely not a single, I'll say that and that you can find a couple of obscure guesses in this post, too.

13. Hello hello @Maki - looking forward to the next elimination!

14. My goodness, the timing is outstanding - I feel like being stalked, haha!

I was literally preparing a little announcement and was about to post it at midnight (my time), so here it is:

Yesterday was the last day of Gwen's Las Vegas residency, and you know what else? The last day of me abandoning this rate! Tomorrow onwards, we should be properly back to frequent eliminations. Shortly after the last elimination (which was *gulp* three weeks ago), some unexpected obligations took most of my time and I decided to just wait until it's all done and now can start fresh with Monday ahead of us. Thank you so much for your patience!

Oh, and this is a very cute moment that happened a few days ago:

I did not expect to come back and see that "Tragic Kingdom" surpassed "Return of Saturn" in the poll, either! Both albums are fabulous, though.

And I've changed that ugly thread title ddd

15. I'd like us to reach the next page before I post the next elimination.
    To help with that, how about a minigame? Or at least some kind of fun activity.

The "Return of Saturn" album cover is brilliant and one of my favourite artworks ever. Here it is in its full HQ glory:

[​IMG]

One of the main reasons it's so amazing and dear to me is because it contains things that serve as clues to each of the album's tracks (at least 14 songs, since a few B-sides can also be linked, too). I really think it's a genius idea! VH1 spotlighted the album cover and the band briefly talks about it:

Can you find all of the connections? Obviously, some are more obscure than others, and a few can easily be connected to two (or more) different songs.

16. I claim the bathtub and the makeup!

Maki, Untouchable Ace and berserkboi like this.
  17. The next elimination is nearly ready to go, but I still need a new page to post it.
    I will reveal all possible answers for the album cover 'minigame' in a week, so feel free to make more guesses by then.

And here's the hint for the next elimination:
    Another hint is that this song isn't represented on the "Return of Saturn" album cover.

18. [​IMG]

Okay... I'll do it myself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.