♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#63 - Emo anthem) ♚ | Page 9 | The Popjustice Forum

♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#63 - Emo anthem) ♚

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Mar 14, 2021.

?

What is your favourite studio album by No Doubt?

1. No Doubt (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Beacon Street Collection (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tragic Kingdom (1995)

12 vote(s)
    26.1%
  4. Return of Saturn (2000)

13 vote(s)
    28.3%
  5. Rock Steady (2001)

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
  6. Push and Shove (2012)

4 vote(s)
    8.7%
  1. [​IMG]

Just a friendly reminder that there are about three weeks left to vote!

@upu
    @V3RYP05H
    @xOJakeXo
    @Yeahyeahyeah
    @ysev

(Please let me know if you don't want to be tagged in this thread anymore)

2. And the final few tags for users who may be interested in joining here (just saw how much I clogged the thread with all these tags - definitely asking one of the mods to do it next time):

Hello! You may be interested in joining this rate.

@Cutlery
    @Disco Blister
    @LeBratt
    @M24
    @pop3blow2

There are about three weeks left to vote.

3. I scored the first two albums earlier today.

4. I'm so behind at this... and just about to start a new job but will try and get on with it ASAP.

Maki likes this.

5. [​IMG]

No Doubt
    Reason for not being included: song from a demo tape that wasn't handpicked by yours truly

These spotlights will concentrate on songs that could've appeared in this rate, but for certain restrictions weren't included.

The first song we're going to highlight is "No Doubt" - yes, it's a song:

The title states 1986, but the song is actually from 1987.

It was released on band's 3-track demo tape from 1987, which they used to give out during their early gigs. It was very nearly included in this rate, but I chose the representative track from that demo cassette to be "Showin Off". It's obviously the self-titled track of the band (seems like that was a thing during the 80s - for example, Talk Talk and @berserkboi's faves Partenaire Particulier) and served as the opening track to the aforementioned demo tape.

I thought that the history and credits of this song are unknown, but mister Gabriel Gonzalez (who played trumpet in the band from 1986 to 1990) revealed in a YouTube comment that he and Chris Leal (No Doubt's first bassist) wrote the song in about 10 minutes, whereas the lyrics may have likely been provided by Gwen and John. He also said that it was the very first song the band wrote, which confirms my speculations. As for the title, both the band and the song were named after John Spence's favourite expression, which was actually originally taken from an old Disney cartoon - Eric surely approved it.

The song itself is great. Not too shabby considering it's No Doubt's first song ever. From the heavy brass instrumentation and occasional interjections, it truly represents the band's early sound in those two minutes and the relentless fun it carries. It's also a typical example of a 'sitcom opener' song they had a fair share of during the early days. If you told me this is a theme song from a TV show called "No Doubt", I would've believed you... without a doubt. While that may very likely be off-putting to some, I sure enjoy it here. The verses are catchy enough and the melodic brass definitely does its job to accompany the one-line chorus. The male vocals you hear are from John Spence - remember, this was before Gwen became the lead singer and she was switching between singing backing and lead vocals with John. Speaking of which, I live for Gwen's harmonized belts that she does around the 1:48 mark - a moment!

The lyrics are... brief, but they are definitely lyrics. Actually, here's the full song:

There's no doubt in my mind
    That you're like the other kind
    You try but you can't
    Appear to be different

No doubt...
    Without a doubt...

The start of the night
    Brings about a different light
    With the onslaught of your friends
    The new light is shown again

No doubt...
    I said no doubt....

They're cute, though I don't know exactly what they're referring to. Kind of a 'my no doubt could mean anything' moment.

My hypothetical score for "No Doubt" would've been at least an 8, since, despite the sound quality not being that good, the song bops and ends before you even get to turn it off in case you're bored of it.

What do you think? Is it a nice discovery/undeserving omission or a useless wreck that had no place being here?

6. It's cute enough, and pretty great for a first ever song! It makes the evolution of not just the band and the sound but Gwen herself even more fascinating. I don't think anyone listening to that track back then would have guessed that she'd become the music and fashion icon that she did.

7. Since I forgot to add them in the 'before the fame' write-up, here are some photos of Gwen and John performing during those early "unofficial" party performances, either from late 1986 or early 1987 (it may very well be that first NYE party performance mentioned in the previous write-up):
    [​IMG]
    That's Eric peaking in the back.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And here's the live performance of "No Doubt" from 26th September, 1987:

At some point, you can see the security pushing off one of the audience members who got on stage.

I like how they extended it and paired the intro with an instrumental of another song.

8. This idea that alot of their early material sounds like a sitcom intro makes sense in a way because I feel like I'd only ever become hooked to them if I heard it at the beginning of each episodes for seasons. Hearing them a few times with fresh ears and not really being a style of music I listen to regularly makes it hard to for me to catch on to alot of it.

On the early albums I was only able to hand out a couple of 8's and handful of 'strong' 7's because I know what kind of songs are coming later.

9. And gosh is Gwen is a looker in her teenage years. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the "Don't Speak" video was one of the first 'coming of age' moments for 'Young Hazey'. I thought Gwen was so smoking hot and was probably why in my teenage years I was really into girls with her kind of look.

10. I presume that's the issue for most of the listeners, which totally makes sense, but I greatly encourage you nd everyone else to re-listen to their first two albums as much as possible, because they could very likely be growers.

Since you mentioned the scores, I often fall into the trap of rating songs in comparison to the album and not the entire discography, but this time I really think that some of the 10's I gave to their early songs are on par with the ones that were released later (probably the only case where I gave a perfect score to a song that doesn't really measure up to the rest of them is a certain track from "Push and Shove").

Gwen is gorgeous in general, but I must agree that I've always considered her "Don't Speak" music video look to be the peak of her already stunning beauty. I envy those of you who were teens during that decade and had the opportunity to witness all that in real-time.

11. The watch2gether session will start in about 10 minutes, so feel free to join here!
    @Sprockrooster
    @Maria
    @SlowGinFizzzz
    @Music Is Death
    @DJHazey

Music Is Death and soratami like this.
  12. @Maki I'm so sorry to drop out but I'm not feeling well. I'll listen on my own this week. Promise!

13. No worries, hope you feel better soon!

The watch2gether session is about to start, so feel free to join here!

@2014
    @Babylon
    @Disco Tears
    @DominoDancing
    @digitalkaiser

14. You denied me a chance of giving a song a potential 11 based off my Partenaire Particulier love?? Ddd

(I’ll listen soon to ensure it is actually nice)

15. [​IMG]
    Return of Saturn (2000)

Saturday, April 10th at 17:30 GMT
    LINK

Considered the band's magnum opus by many (which I agree with), their fourth record offers an immense amount of growth and exploration, both in sound and lyrics. Truly an experience.
    This will be by far the longest session, given that there are plenty of B-sides and outtakes they shared with us (pretty much the majority of "Everything in Time"), none of which are too below the album's standards. Seems correct they did it for this album and we should be thankful.

16. Just realized that, after the Watch2Gether sessions for "No Doubt" and "The Beacon Street Collection" occurred on the weekend of their respective anniversaries, the same thing happens with "Return of Saturn", which will be 21 years old on April 11th.

[​IMG]

Also, I plan on doing a spotlight today or tomorrow. Would you like it to be 'No Doubt before the fame' or 'songs we could've rated' one?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.