♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#76 - Dominatrix) ♚ | Page 21 | The Popjustice Forum

♚ No Doubt Discography Rate (#76 - Dominatrix) ♚

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Mar 14, 2021.

?

What is your favourite studio album by No Doubt?

1. No Doubt (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Beacon Street Collection (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tragic Kingdom (1995)

12 vote(s)
    27.3%
  4. Return of Saturn (2000)

13 vote(s)
    29.5%
  5. Rock Steady (2001)

15 vote(s)
    34.1%
  6. Push and Shove (2012)

4 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. Ooh, that was close! But the answer lies on the other side... literally.

You hope he'll learn it if you try again but he just don't get it...

[​IMG]

You Can't Teach an Ol' Dog New Tricks

Average score: 5.822

Highest scores:
    9 x 1 (@Sprockrooster), 8 x 2 (@bonnieetclyde, @yeRleDanaL)
    Lowest score: 2 x 1 (@DJHazey)
    My score: 5.25

High peak: #90 (9 voters, 11 voters)
    Low peak: #98 (5 voters)

This is one of the songs I saw in the bottom 5, but it's definitely not surprising that it escaped that placement. It's also one of the songs the one where I though it highest score would be 8 at most and would mostly get scores ranging from 4 to 6, but Sprocky surprised me. Its trajectory was predictable and uneventful, just like the song itself, peeking just above the bottom 10 a few times. I wonder if it playing after "My Room Is Still Clean" actually did it justice and helped with the final placement here, but that's up to voters.
    Random fun fact: the dog drawing I used in this artwork is Eric's.

"You Can't Teach an Ol' Dog New Tricks" is a previously unreleased song written by Eric Stefani that made its way onto the "Doghouse" single as its B-side sometime in late 1994. Very apt given the theme and I find that cute. Speaking of theme, the lyrics are based on a old saying/idiom, but are written in a literal sense. Early No Doubt-esque, one may say.
    Some sources mention that they performed the song in the early 90s under the title "Dog Chase", but there's only one known audio recording of a live performance of this song - an acoustic rendition from April 16th, 1994 at the University of Irvine. And it's even less integral than the actual song - basically what I imagine it sounded like in its demo form.

This track is completely harmless, but also extremely inessential. I bet that Eric just dusted off this song in its old written form and they recorded it in their garage as a cute addition in order for it to match its A-side "Doghouse". One of the very few songs from their discography that doesn't really make a specific impression on me and I pretty much have nothing in particular to say about. Perhaps that's why it stands out? Anyways, staying true to my extraness, I will talk about it. In case you don't get scared by the barking in the very beginning, it can be heard that the song has some ragtime influences, and it makes sense that you can easily snap your fingers to it. I do like the general bounciness of the instrumental (especially the bassline), the chorus is nice (not gonna lie, one day I it stuck in my mind for some reason), and so is that little breakdown after they yell "party No Doubt!" , but the song in general is nothing special and I don't think Gwen's theatrical vocals in the middle-8 work at all. In addition, this song lacks a bit more energy compared to literally everything from their first two albums. B-side material for sure. And I find it amusing that they managed to fit a traditional verse-chorus-verse-chorus-middle-8/bridge-chorus structure in these two minutes. Though the song wishes to be amusing. It's actually in my lowest five scores I gave out here, but it seems like that's purely because the song is 'okay' and that doesn't really deserve a higher score when we're in a No Doubt rate. All in all, it got a perfect placement here.

The commentary, or lack thereof, perfectly sums up the song's insignificance. Though I'm sure that the high scorer @Sprockrooster (9) will disagree with that. He says: "Definitely something that did not deserve to be paid dust like that. Not even worthy of the main album. Ignored for the b-sides and rarities collection Everything In Time. PopInjustice." I guess you'll repeat that word for its elimination. And the only other comment is from @berserkboi (4), who recalls the trauma of "My Room Is Still Clean" and compares it to that song, saying: "This is at least a little engaging!" That's true.

Next up: We're switching a section once again - furthermore, the next song can also be linked to this one.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  2. Actually this is one of my high points from early No Doubt. The chorus is simple but catchy, and most of all, the arrangement is not so damn busy as on most of the album tracks.

Maria, berserkboi and Maki like this.
  3. I think I’ve lost 4 below 5s already so this isn’t going too badly for me so far...

4. Forgot to say that the connection between "Doormat" and "You Can't Teach an Ol' Dog New Tricks" is that they're both under 3 minutes long.
    Though you can make another connection because both songs contain 'dog' among their lyrics (in "Doormat" it's the line: "I'm not the place where the dogs roam at the bottom of the tree").

I can reveal that the next song that's getting eliminated has a track length of over 3 minutes and it's a surprisingly divisive one at that.

5. Whenever I saw there's a new ballot for this rate among my PMs:

6. Sorry for the delay, but for some reason, I can't seem to access the site since this morning, but have managed to do so using VPN.

[​IMG]

Whatever it is, I hope it gets resolved during the day. The next elimination will be posted soon.

7. Be careful about what you say...

It's no lie, it's no lie...

[​IMG]

Monkey Man (with Toots and the Maytals)

Average score: 5.902

Highest score:
    9.5 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @berserkboi)
    Lowest score: 3 x 5 (@clowezra, @Babylon, @soratami, @Maria, @GimmeWork)
    My score: 4.25

High peak: #75 (6 voters)
    Low peak: #96 (9 voters)

Even before opening the rate, I was sure this one was a shoe-in for bottom 3 or even bottom 2. At the very least, I was certain this would be the first extra out. So imagine my shock when I saw that “Monkey Man” started getting higher scores, steadily starting in the top 90, and even went top 80 at one point. Well, we know who's boo boo the fool here. Luckily the later voters gave it fair scores. Though it also made me check the spreadsheet just in case some of the calculations were wrong, but, no, you really decided it’s better than seven other songs. Poor “Showin Off”, it didn’t deserve to be the first extra out at all. Quite baffling, but at least it finished closer to its ideal placement.

"Monkey Man" is a song by ska/reggae group Toots & the Maytals, originally released in 1969 (and charted at #47 in UK Singles chart), while the cover version featuring No Doubt was released on the album "True Love" on April 6th, 2004. This is not just the only time No Doubt were credited as a feature in their career (and therefore in this rate), but also the last song released to their name before they embarked on the first hiatus. The album "True Love" is a a collection of their most popular songs by Toots & the Maytals re-recorded with guest artists and went on to win a Grammy for Best Reggae Album in 2005 (which is very fitting, since the group is cited to be the one who coined the genre name 'reggae' back in 1968). The song was originally written as a . Unfortunately, the lead vocalist Frederick "Toots" Hibbert passed away last year aged 77 and No Doubt paid tribute to him... on Facebook. They never performed the song live, so it was probably the only option.

The issue here is that I just... don't like this song in any rendition. And while this isn't as dreadful and abhorrent as Kylie's version, I can't say it's good, either. Obviously, No Doubt are a great choice for this rendition, especially coming after “Rock Steady” with reggae influences, it suits them a lot. Compared to the original, it does feature better vocals and the instrumental is also boosted with guitars, giving it even more No Doubt vibes, and I do find the general production to be perfectly fine. The song itself is just too childish and repetitive for me to properly enjoy - even cutting a minute off wouldn’t have made a big difference. Also, there’s not enough of Gwen, as she’s mainly singing backing vocals, so I consider this among their least . No wonder I forgot its existence when I first compiled the song list for this rate. As my second lowest score in the rate, this shouldn't have bothered with anything higher than bottom 3 placement-wise, but some of you were seemingly into it.

One of them is @Sprockrooster (9.5) - he and I are polar opposites here: "This is a great song in every rendition, but it somehow feels tailormade for No Doubt. Really should make a new greatest hits or rarities collection!" Sorry, Sprocky that we completely disagree here, but looking at how you scored some of my favourites, this sorry is on hold. On the completely other side, @clowezra (3) is understandably just not here for the song, saying: "This version, the Kylie version, all versions are a nightmare." *insert that Rose McGowan GIF here*
    @Angeleyes (5) gives a nice remark: "I'm more familiar with Amy Winehouse's version, but this is good and very true to their roots." I haven’t heard Amy’s version yet, but this is definitely right up No Doubt’s alley. And among the highest scorers, @berserkboi (9.5) "Quite fun somehow!" I knew it was impossible, but I was hoping for a surprise ‘pas pour moi’ reaction from you here. @soratami, you were right!

The original version:

Next up: The first single is out.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  8. Showin Off and Monkey Man are not the extras I would've chosen to go first (both 7.5) as I have three songs in that section with 5 or below.

berserkboi and Maki like this.
  9. That getting two 9.5s

[​IMG]

10. It managed to get nine 8+ scores in total.

[​IMG]

Anyways, any predictions for the next elimination? As mentioned, it's the first single to leave the rate.
    I most likely won't manage to post it tonight, mainly because of the DNS issue still not being resolved.

11. I'm gonna guess it's Squeal or Doghouse.
    Both would be more than deserved.

12. I gave a 1 and a 2 (I think?) to a couple of songs never knowing they were singles so let's go with those!

Untouchable Ace and Maki like this.
  13. I gave A Little Something Refreshing a 6. Even though it's only a minute long, it's exhausting to listen to. I like the production in the...chorus? part, it gets my foot tapping, and it's fun in general But the "verses" are just....ugh. And the burp...no. Good riddance.
    Paulina got an 8 for me and...I'm not really sure why to be honest? I think it was mostly for the production which I found nice and relazing and kinda smooth, and the boppy instrumental bridge is really cute too. But Eric's voice is unpleasant and I honestly....didn't even notice the lyrics to be honest. They're not the worse lyrics ever - and they could have been even worse clearly, I cringed so hard reading the original ones - but they're still pretty bad and cringey. I like the "Paulina" hook and honestly would probably be here for it if Gwen just sang the whole with no lyric cnages because that would be hilariously messy, but I think it's definitely more of a 6 or 7. Bye.
    I gave Move On a 7, which I think is pretty accurate. I love the opening guitar, and I honestly wish that was the foundation of the song, like if it kept that alt-rocky vibe throughout instead of being a chaotic mess it'd be so much better. I get why it is the way it is now, but that still doesn't make it a pleasant listen. The lyrics are great though. They just deserved a better song to go with them. The rock middle-8/bridge/third verse/outro whatever thing is the best part of the song because it works so fucking well and I love it. That should have been the whole song.
    I maybe overscored Showin' Off a little but the vibe and production just really spoke to my soul because I'm a sad bitch okay? I love the drums in the song, they're kinda boppy but still sad. And I actually think it pairs well with the lyrics because they don't seem like they're particularly enjoying themselves and it pairs well with Gwen's and John's performances. It's a sad song. And I like it. If it had been finalized I honestly think it would be one of their best.
    Doormat deserved better. It's a whole lot of fun, and full of great attitude. The melodies are catchy, the production makes me wanna dance, and the lyrics make me wanna establish rule the world. The chorus is a whole lot of fun too. Y'all did this one wrong.
    You Can't Teach An Old Dog New Tricks got a 6 from me. It's a fun song but very nothingy and unimportant to their music as a whole. It's cute, and the hook is catchy. It makes you wanna tap your foot. Overall, enjoyable but forgettable and inessential. I do think it's cute that it was a b-side to Doghouse.
    Monkey Man is a solid 6. The production bops and it's a lot of fun - I love the guitars and the drums - and it's catchy, but there's not enough Gwen and the chorus is kinda grating. I don't really have much to say besides that.

Overall, I ain't that mad about any of this.

14. Forgot to say that, with the elimination of "Monkey Man", all five of my lowest scores are out.
    [​IMG]

Anyways, I sacrificed myself and decided to listen to a few other covers of that song, such as:

Turns out, my favourite version out of these is the one featuring No Doubt! The song is evidently not for me.

Oh, and there will be an elimination today, since I can access the site normally.

15. Aw, I love Amy's version of Monkey Man. I live for the bits where her voice goes real low.

berserkboi, Angeleyes and Maki like this.
  16. It's my second favourite out of the versions I've heard but I still would've scored it a 4.

The next elimination is almost ready. Can we get to the new page, please?

17. I too would like to reach the next page for the next elimination.

18. Is that something I can request here?

19. Oh no, I've violated protocol and double-posted (now triple-posted). Please forgive me @Forum Deities

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.