♚ No Doubt Discography Rate ("The Beacon Street Collection" write-up!) ♚ | Page 18 | The Popjustice Forum

♚ No Doubt Discography Rate ("The Beacon Street Collection" write-up!) ♚

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Maki, Mar 14, 2021.

?

What is your favourite studio album by No Doubt?

1. No Doubt (1992)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Beacon Street Collection (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Tragic Kingdom (1995)

13 vote(s)
    27.1%
  4. Return of Saturn (2000)

14 vote(s)
    29.2%
  5. Rock Steady (2001)

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  6. Push and Shove (2012)

4 vote(s)
    8.3%
  1. Monkey Man, My Room Is Still Clean and A Little Something Refreshing for the bottom 3 please.

2. Me only recognising one name being a score I gave a below 5 to so far from everything you guys are asking for:

[​IMG]

3. How many scores below 5 did you give though? dd

4. 8 songs got 'em!

5. And out of those eight, only one is one of the songs mentioned so far? Choices...

6. Oh my God yes perfect.

berserkboi, soratami and Maki like this.
  7. One of these is a huge spoiler for my 11.
    [​IMG]

8. It's time for the first elimination.

This is the exact song I imagined to be the first one out, before even opening the rate...

The lowest rated song by No Doubt is...

[​IMG]
    Gwen, 1994

I used to scrub a greasy tub...

[​IMG]

My Room Is Still Clean (live)

Average score: 3.596

Highest scores:
    7.5 x 1 (@Ana Raquel), 7 x 1 (@No hay banda)
    Lowest scores: 0 x 1 (@berserkboi), 1 x 4 (@GimmeWork, @yeRleDanaL, @Maria, @Babylon)
    My score: 4

High peak: N/A
    Low peak:
    #100 (5-27 voters)

Here it is - the ultimate loser of this rate. Is this a surprise? I hope not, because it's the most loathed song here by a large margin. It remained at the very bottom of the leaderboard literally during the entire voting period and pretty much nothing could save it. Poor it. Or not.

"My Room Is Still Clean" is certainly an outlier in this rate because of a few different things, actually. Released as a B-side to "Squeal" in 1994, this 2-minute oddity is not only the lone live track to be included in this rate, but also the only No Doubt song solely written by band's bass guitarist Tony Kanal. But I can't help but wonder if Tom had anything to do here, since he was originally in a hard rock/punk/metal band, and it may explain why this song is punkier than anything they ever did. Lyrics-wise, it makes sense that Tony wrote them, since he was known as perfectionist and band's "clean freak". The recording was taken from their performance in Fullerton, California on February 13th, 1993. Obviously it was performed live a bunch of times, most intensely during 1992 and 1993, and the public goes absolutely nuts during each performance. Therefore, there's a very small chance the band recorded (or even considered recording) this in a studio. Also, the back cover of the song you can see above (for some reason I thought Gwen was featured on) has a relatively interesting story. But I'll save that when another song is eliminated.

Well, what is there to say about this song? I don't hate it, but there's really not anything to love, either. The sound quality is so shoddy (yet still has more production values than some of the moments found on "Lotus" and "Britney Jean"), and barely existent in terms of melody, but that's punk for you. The guitar solo is nice, though. I love me a headbanger moment, but not when it's about doing your laundry and in such bad quality. Really, the lyrics are so dumb that they're almost hilarious - but one may argue that the chorus (Yeah, I keep my room in order, here I find my place to rest / The outside world isn't careful, here my life is free of mess) is a nice metaphor for escapism. Never mind, I'm probably just reading too much into it. Combine all said above, and it's perfectly reasonable why "My Room Is Still Clean" got my lowest score in this rate. At least it represents a unique song in No Doubt's discography that adds to their variety.

I expected this to get a fair share of commentary, though there isn't much to unpack here.
    At least we found another song we can use to torture @berserkboi with - he initially gave the song a 0.5, explaining that he only gives zeroes to Nickelback, but that didn't fit the rules, so a zero it is: "What the heck is this??" @clowezra (2) calls it "Boring retro punk" and states that it: "does nothing for me.", while @AshleyKerwin (5) says: "A nice novelty but the sound quality is low." Yeah, the sound quality is so bad you'll rather have your ears cleaned rather than your room. Finally, @Sprockrooster (6) simply states: "I can see why it was kept off from Everything In Time." Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised they erased it from their memory as soon as it was released.
    The audience back in the 90's enjoyed it, so, hey, there's that. And we're not going to discuss the substances which may have enhanced that effect.

In case anyone wants to, er... relive the experience:

And in what may be one of the most useless live performance videos ever recorded, here's the band performing the song in 1992, where Gwen is jumping into a crowd pit:

Next up: Three songs are going to leave - among them is the first album track.

9. I gave it 2 points, simply for the weirdness and absolute audacity of actually releasing it in any shape or form. Other than that, it's shit.
    Okay but at least you can actually hear every lyric across both albums dddd.

10. ddd the way the thread title made me think there was going to be an unexpected song in last place, but it isn't actually misleading at all. Nice one @Maki.

Maria, Sprockrooster, Maki and 3 others like this.
  11. I gave it a 2... and I don't remember how it goes.

12. I don't remember how it goes either to be honest, just remember it was a racket.

13. It goes "blah blah blah blah blah my room is still clean! blah blah blah blah blah my room is still clean!". That's pretty much it.

Aester, soratami, ohaimanabu and 6 others like this.
  14. [​IMG]

Somehow worse than I imagined. But you know it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the totally off time and entirely too loud backing vocals.

ohaimanabu, Maki, berserkboi and 2 others like this.
  15. This is one of very few songs that I hadn’t heard before the rate, and I never want to hear it again.

16. Happy to be team Rock Steady!

17. I gave it a 3, it does what it intends to do well, but the intention is the problem here for me, personally! Happy to never hear it again.

18. That track is giving me open mic night realness

19. You know a song sucks when @Music Is Death gives it a 2.

A quick reminder for those who forgot:

Ahsjfsdgdfsfddsggfdh MY ROOM IS STILL CLEAN!

[​IMG]

Gfdshfhdfgfjzhfzrtsasf MY ROOM IS STILL CLEAN!

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.