No Doubt General Discussion Thread | Page 10 | The Popjustice Forum

No Doubt General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Pop & Justice' started by DevotionDesire, Sep 15, 2009.

1. The song is great! It’s the video that’s questionable

2. Looking Hot is a bop and Push And Shove as a whole is pretty solid too.

I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion, but I don't think Tragic Kingdom is that great. Obviously the singles are all fantastic, but I hardly ever return to any of the album tracks. I think their laters releases all work better as full albums.

ephemeralartery, LP and AshleyKerwin like this.
  3. They really don’t have a bad album. The debut is an acquired taste, but I just discovered The Beacon Street Collection last year and it’s as amazing as their studio albums (if it’s not considered a “proper” one).

4. THE TASTE! Also, throwback to me listening to Used To Love You for the first time and realising she went from "Who taught you how to love?" to "I guess nobody taught you how to love", like wow!

Jersey, heavymetalGAGA, LP and 4 others like this.
  5. The echoing refrains of Aw, who taught you how to, who taught you how to
    loooooooooooooove!! at the end make me emotional everytime.

6. Ugh, ha MIND

7. I totally agree.
    And it is considered their 'proper' album.
    Some amazing songs there: "By the Way", "Blue in the Face", "Snakes", to name a few.

Angeleyes likes this.
  8. It's odd to me considering just how many songs there are about Gwen and Gavin's marriage not working that it lasted as long as it did.

Verandi, R92, AshleyKerwin and 4 others like this.
  9. Hey Baby is still a bop.

I can’t believe it’s nearly 20 years old!

Maria, Cundy, R92 and 10 others like this.
  10. 2014

2014 Moderator

One of the best covers ever - they have so many bangers.

11. One of my favorite videos of all time. The symbolism of Gwen killing off her bandmates before going solo is *chef’s kiss*

12. LP

LP

Not in Ireland (and so I suppose the UK?).
    Screenshot_20190814-220218.png

13. The video was great and should not have been pulled off.

Strange how no one was bothered when she was appropriating Japanese culture...

LP, V3RYP05H and Maki like this.
  14. Gwen has appropriated every culture going. Literally. I’m sure she’s become more aware now though.

15. That was also questionable - and people were bothered but it just wasn’t as widespread for a variety of reasons.

I love Gwen dearly and will go to bat for her more than most, but it’s undeniable that she has a history with cultural appropriation. Most if not all of the time it seemed to come from a place of admiration and inspiration and a little bit of ignorance, but it’s still definitely appropriation.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  16. Come on, it was basically a Spaghetti Western movie parody!

Modern music and fashion are all about cultural appropriation anyway.

V3RYP05H likes this.
  17. I don't know, I've always seen what Gwen did as appreciation of the Japanese culture rather than appropriation, if you compare it to Lana Del Rey's Ride video, for example, who wore that headdress just because it "looked cool".

Maki likes this.
  18. Push and Shove is a such great album, I was obsessed with it when it was released, and I legit thought the X Factor performance of Looking Hot would result in it being a sure-fire hit, but, it wasn't... (Back when an X-Factor performance could have that impact).
    Settle Down, Looking Hot, One More Summer, Push and Shove, Easy, Heaven <3, Dreaming the Same Dream.... All bops. There's a dip in quality in the second half of the album but, it still holds up as a great album for me.

Cundy, LP, AshleyKerwin and 6 others like this.
  19. I haven’t really watched it in about six years or so but my recollection of it was that Native groups were upset that it played on some pretty overdone stereotypes like the sexualization of Native women. And to be honest I was much less aware of things like appropriation at the time (I’m not even an expert or anything close to it now) and it even made me a little uncomfortable. I’m not Native so I can’t really speak on it definitively though.
    My understanding of it is that appropriation and appreciation don’t necessarily have to be mutually exclusive. You can appropriate and appreciate - like what she did with the bindi when she was dating Tony, for example. Again, I’m white so my frame of reference is a bit small though

Cundy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.