Normal People (BBC/Hulu) | The Popjustice Forum

Normal People (BBC/Hulu)

Discussion in 'TV + Film' started by Sick Sad World, Apr 28, 2020.

1. Has anyone started watching this?
    I have. I don't exactly know how I feel about it, but I just spent all day watching it.
    I mean, I *think* I really enjoyed it, but at times I got a little frustrated.
    if only they were a little less awkward and were able to communicate a bit better

Ashling92 and blod like this.
  2. The first two episodes did nothing for me, can’t wait until the storyline moves to college.

3. I was a fan of the book so it was always going to be on my list to watch.

Just finished it there and it was pretty great for me. The acting was spot on and the chemistry between the two helps showcase the intensity here. Possibly because I was so invested in the book and the characters, it was one of the few dramas that I was engrossed in. Also, I'm glad that a lot of people are praising it for portraying sexual consent perfectly.

Andrew likes this.
  4. I am semi enjoying the series, I’m on about episode 5...I haven’t read the book, but why is it such a big deal that any relations they are having remains so hush hush, have I missed something?

I get she was the outcast and he was the popular one at school and now at college the roles have reversed, but it’s all a bit fraught for the sake of it. It’s sort of playing a lot like a secret homosexual affair!

blod and Beautiful Child 2 like this.
  5. Loved it, was a bit predictable (haven’t read the book) like I knew as soon as they were getting close something would happen again and again and I found that slightly tiring - also that he treated her like a dirty secret most of the time which bothered me as she let him!

I have never seen the actors before but I knew straight away Marianne was English, she slipped with her accent quite a lot - she was fantastic but just being picky... it would of been nice to showcase more unknown Irish talent into the U.K.

6. I absolutely adored the book, so I'm really looking forward to this.

7. I’ve watched five episodes so far, and I’m very impressed. The casting is pretty much spot on across the board, and it’s channelling the book very well.

8. I think this is brilliant. The emotional tension throughout is so, so good.

Ashling92 likes this.
  9. I finished it last night, I liked it. I really liked the actors. What was that jarring hetero fantasy Call Me By Your Name episode all about though. I’m sure even a Sufjan Stevens song popped up at one point.

10. A missed opportunity for Maura Higgins teebs.

Beautiful Child 2, JORDAN and Andrew like this.
  11. I'm just here for Connell wearing a chain

Rob and Sick Sad World like this.
  12. I’m 7 episodes in and I’m far more into Gareth than Connell.

13. The Nazi sympathizer ? Im not questioning taste but this clip springs to mind

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  14. wut

Ashling92 likes this.
  15. I’m really just saying I found him far more attractive. The character was a trash human....as were most characters on this show.

Finished the series last night and while I certainly enjoyed it, I found the Connell and Marianne to be quite frustrating at times. The amount of times the two refused to make any compromises for each other or avoided any form of communication, it became difficult to see them go back & forth & back & forth. That said, it’s a beautifully told romance. The aesthetics are sumptuous, the sex scenes are are some of the hottest things I’ve ever seen, and I appreciate the subdued nature of the entire thing. It was a refreshingly honest tale, even if the characters drove me insane at times (much like real life). I’m also not entirely sold on the ending...is that how the book concludes?

Lately likes this.
  16. I feverishly watched the entire thing in less than a day - it is obsessively good and almost dangerous in these times of loneliness at home. It's not as good as the book (which is a modern classic, full of subtle intensity and intelligent dialogue) but it is a very good adaptation.

The chemistry between the leads is astounding, the sex scenes are SCORCHING (and I'm a very very gay man) and the universe is so well built. The tension between intimacy and malaise is so powerful, and it hurts seeing these characters growing out of themselves by ripping each other to shreds.
    It makes me want to dive into a very problematic relationship to see if get out of it a better person at the end.

believeagain and Tom Selick like this.
  17. I’m only four episodes in but by all accounts they seem to have got this adaptation exactly right.

18. I just watched this within 24 hours. My heart broke for Marianne at times, especially in the college scenes, as I saw myself in her. Overall, I really enjoyed it, it has left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.