Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread | Page 190 | The Popjustice Forum

Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by P Grandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. I'd really love this series to at least go up to 1999 and I would love the 2000s too, so stepping back twice pushes us further away from finding out if we'll actually get the 90s, but still, it'll be nice to have a full decade.

idratherjack and Mvnl like this.
  2. The 90s would make a lot more sense for the brand than the 70s.

Eric Generic likes this.
  3. I struggle to see the point of these. If I've got all the numbered nows on CD plus the Anniversary/Millennium series what are these really offering? If the artwork was really nice and packaged in a more premium way I'd consider it but I don't think they are.

Spiral likes this.
  4. I have a feeling they will go back to the 70s, but they shouldn't. I won't touch them myself. Even doing 1980-1982 feels a bit wrong in the NOWsphere.

These Yearbooks are pretty well sequenced, I will give them that. And the design of 1983 and 1984 was okay. The yellow 1982 is a bit squiffy, but the red 1981 is just nasty.

idratherjack and Hairycub1969 like this.
  5. I think they should do them based on what year it is; so since this is 2022:

NOW Yearbook 1982
    NOW Yearbook 1992
    NOW Yearbook 2002
    NOW Yearbook 2012

This makes more sense to me. It's also a big hope of mine they'll reach the 90s so we can see a lot of 90s tracks that missed the NOWs back them make an appearance. Take That, Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child, and Celine are the first ones that pop into my mind that need more NOW appearances (and also B*Witched, Cleopatra, Five, and Cher)

6. Hire this person!

7. I've been saying that to them for years! Imagine the possibilities if the PJ Forum got a say on every NOW Spin-off (and mainline series).

I might start making my ideal Yearbooks for these selected years and share them here.

8. That Now 1981 Compilation can be created on Spotify - all the tracks are available - but Remember to ensure it's the original 7 inch edit version and not a later re-recorded version (Elaine Paige's "Memory") - have fun!

9. I’ve already made my Redux playlist.
    I’ve got 67 songs and added the following:

The Pointer Sisters - Slow Hands
    Phil Collins - In the Air Tonight
    Talking Heads - Once In A Lifetime
    Dave Stewart & Barbara Gaskin - It’s My Party
    Depeche Mode - Just Can’t Get Enough
    David Bowie - Scary Monsters
    Kate Bush - Sat In Your Lap

Doesn’t seem to be much missing.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  10. Wait....Now Yearbook 1981 doesn't actually have In The Air Tonight??!!!

(Licensing, I guess).

Hairycub1969 and AshtrayHeart like this.
  11. He wasn’t featured on Yearbook 83 either despite Can’t Hurry Love featuring on the Now 1 reissue, it must be a recent licensing issue like David Bowie. I’m guessing they only got Under Pressure from Queen’s side.

12. Yes of course, well remembered.

Hairycub1969 and AshtrayHeart like this.
  13. Usual. If Queen are first, it’s agreed by QPL.

14. Makes me wonder how Queen ended up at the bottom of Disc 2 of NOW 19 with Innuendo if they only agree with top billing.

15. Most likely Bowie's estate wouldn't allow them to licence the song to a DFS advert so this was a compromise.

16. Sorry not sure what a DFS advert is, or QPL for that matter.

17. Queen license their music to a ludicrous number of TV adverts for companies like DFS (a furniture shop), Flash cleaning products and all kinds they're pretty shameless in what they license. I assume QPL is their licencing company.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  18. Ah DFS to furniture sale shop, that makes sense, I thought you meant “David Bowie State Finance” or something.

19. Shades of Macca on NOW 2.....the final track has a certain prestige Mr McCartney...honest it does!

20. Brian may have allowed it.

I'll get my coat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.