Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread | Page 191 | The Popjustice Forum

Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by P Grandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. The hardback editions are nice with the notes inside.
    1981 looks great. Will be interesting to see what the Extra holds. I'll do a further 2CD mop up afterwards in line with the others - see Now Yearbook Extra Plus

Wonder will we get the 7" of Antmusic?

In terms of pre-1980, I'd certainly welcome Yearbooks for 1978 and 1979 - both very strong years for singles.

2. Quite pleased with this Hits 92 compilation I've just put together

upload_2022-4-22_23-9-58.png
    upload_2022-4-22_23-10-12.png

Mvnl, Rooneyboy, AshtrayHeart and 4 others like this.
  3. The version of Ride on Time on Now 80s dancefloor...is a re-recording. A fairly good attempt at it, but not the original version.

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. upload_2022-4-26_19-5-30.jpeg
    upload_2022-4-26_19-5-44.jpeg
    out May 27

5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

How long until they literally release NOW Pointless! ?

6. 'Legendary artist' Katie Melua.

dangeleyes and RaggedTiger like this.
  7. Train.

Train.

TRAIN.

Hairycub1969, CDMCLP and Eric Generic like this.
  8. Now Pointless....coming soon!

Hairycub1969, manloveuk and Mvnl like this.
  9. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

But seriously.. who is this even aimed at? People without radio, streaming services or any particular preference??

10. I've followed music for more years than I'd care to admit, and yet I've honestly never heard of 'legend' Christina Perri or her Jar Of Hearts.

I'm guessing Oleta getting promoted is for the same ridiculous reason we have The Artist Currently Known As Eurythmics Dave Stewart Annie Lennox on these comps, but it's nice to see her being namechecked as I always though Woman In Chains was a duet.

As great as Black Velvet is, I'm not sure one hit wonder, Alannah Myles qualifies as a legendary artist, though if we're opening those doors to Miley Cyrus, Bradley Cooper and Train, I'm guessing anyone is a legend... were Pat & Mick too busy to be included on this auspicious list?

We edge ever closer to Now Tory Party Conference Megahits, Now Ashby de la Zouch Legends, and Now Food Bank Classics.

That said, if this level of nonsense is supporting those Yearbook releases, they can fill their Now Boots.

11. Oleta was credited on the 1992 reissue which reached #57. But not on the 1989 release.

Hairycub1969 and manloveuk like this.
  12. Labels were slightly less racist / misogynictic in 1992. Remember when Chaka Khan wasn't credited for Higher Love despite carrying it.

Hairycub1969 and manloveuk like this.
  13. That’s probably the messiest track list I’ve seen in a long. Did someone hit shuffle and just said “that’ll do”?

14. That was Warners fault I think? They didn't want to take attention away from her new single/album at the same time (Love of a Lifetime/Destiny).

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  15. Plus Higher love was Steve Winwood's 'comeback' song.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  16. I did read that label politics were the reason for Chaka not being credited. Either Warners or Island. Same thing with Robert Palmer...he wanted her to be on his album Riptide but it was blocked.

letuinmybackdoor likes this.
  17. Katie who?

18. Phil Collins will be tutting at this post as the three ... are in the wrong place!

Mvnl and Eric Generic like this.
  19. And Chaka sung on it... a lot!

20. Not saying I agree with not crediting her but from a label perspective they would have wanted the focus to be on him with it being a comeback song.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.