Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread | Page 203 | The Popjustice Forum

Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by P Grandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. From Music Week

Worrying decline in sales of the new Nows. How much lower till they pull the plug?

The reissues aren't doing great either but as well as the earlier ones did, so I guess they'll continue for now

2. 48 songs, wow. They should scale back.

3. Was listening to CD1 today and quite enjoyed it though. There's still something about listening to a Now even though the charts are mostly crappy.

Eric Generic likes this.
  4. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

What theme did you use? (I'm still looking into my own music blog but don't know where to start. Also had to laugh a bit about me thinking my 15-character name was 'too long', then seeing yours!)

edit: now reading and loving your highlighted blogposts. Quite encouraging and inspiring for my own plans too! (Although boy do I know the starting and never quite finishing thing all too well)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2022
  5. Thanks! I've checked the theme and it's Apostrophe2 (whatever that is!). I just liked the layout of that one when I was first putting it together, and been happy with it ever since.

The blog name is so ridiculously long it tends to get remembered! People say "are you the Amazingly Few Discotheques guy?".

burntoutcar, Mvnl and roborovsky like this.
  6. Cheers Paul - I've had this one a while, along with a couple of others....so once that silly title came into my head, I went with it.

7. This doesn't look like the news those of us waiting for Now Yearbook 1985 wanted...

"NOW Music is proud to present the newest edition to our ‘Yearbook’ family: NOW – Yearbook 1979.

With a re-imagined look that reflects the era, 48 tracks over 3-LPs on bright orange vinyl, celebrating a truly spectacular year of chart magic.

Featuring one of Queen’s most popular songs ‘Don’t Stop Me Now’, as well as #1s from The Police (‘Walking On The Moon’) and the defining ‘Heart Of Glass’ from Blondie, as well as timeless hits from ABBA, Kate Bush, Olivia Newton-John and closing Side A with the beautiful ‘Song For Guy’ by Elton John.

NOW – Yearbook 1979 – A celebration of the diversity of the charts, and the creative brilliance of the year in pop."

LP1 Side A:
    1 Queen - Don't Stop Me Now
    2 The Police - Walking On The Moon
    3 Blondie - Heart Of Glass
    4 ABBA - Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
    5 Olivia Newton – John - A Little More Love
    6 Kate Bush - Wow
    7 Elton John - Song For Guy
    LP1 Side B:
    1 Donna Summer - Hot Stuff
    2 Chic - Good Times
    3 Sister Sledge - He’s The Greatest Dancer
    4 Amii Stewart - Knock On Wood
    5 Gloria Gaynor - I Will Survive
    6 Village People - YMCA
    7 McFadden & Whitehead - Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now (Single Version)
    8 Commodores - Still
    LP2 Side A:
    1 Ian Dury & The Blockheads - Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
    2 The Boomtown Rats - I Don't Like Mondays
    3 Elvis Costello & The Attractions - Accidents Will Happen (Remastered 2020)
    4 Sex Pistols - Something Else
    5 The Clash - I Fought The Law
    6 Siouxsie And The Banshees - The Staircase (Mystery)
    7 Squeeze - Cool For Cats
    8 The Specials - Gangsters
    9 The Selecter - On My Radio
    10 Madness - One Step Beyond
    LP2 Side B:
    1 Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell
    2 Electric Light Orchestra - Shine A Little Love
    3 Blondie - Dreaming
    4 Pretenders - Stop Your Sobbing
    5 Dave Edmunds - Girls Talk
    6 Gerry Rafferty - Night Owl
    7 Billy Joel - My Life
    8 Gary Moore & Phil Lynott - Parisienne Walkways
    LP3 Side A:
    1 ABBA - Chiquitita
    2 Art Garfunkel - Bright Eyes
    3 Roxy Music - Dance Away
    4 Neil Diamond - Forever In Blue Jeans
    5 Cliff Richard - We Don't Talk Anymore
    6 Milk & Honey - Hallelujah
    7 Sad Café - Every Day Hurts
    LP3 Side B:
    1 The Crusaders - Street Life
    2 Earth, Wind & Fire - September
    3 Wings - Goodnight Tonight
    4 The B– 52's - Rock Lobster
    5 The Flying Lizards - Money
    6 M - Pop Muzik
    7 Gary Numan - Cars
    8 The Buggles - Video Killed The Radio Star

Released 9th September.

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  8. As above, here is the tracklisting

9. I don't mind a 1979 one as it was kind of a dress rehearsal for 1980 but not sure how interested I am beyond that.

Rooneyboy and Hairycub1969 like this.
  10. Wrong way!

11. Great album but no 8 in it… think I might vote by not buying it. 1985 please.

12. 1979 is one of my favourite years for (pop) music, but that's not where a NOW should be.

13. Agreed, the track listing is great bar the dodgy Pistols single.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. Supertramp missing, that's a big no-no.

Hairycub1969 and Blaahh like this.
  15. The tracklist actually looks good, but I can’t say I’m happy because this basically means we won’t see 1985 for at least another 3 years, and that’s if they don’t decide to tackle the 60s.

16. Now that's not what I was expecting next?

17. That's a big yes-yes for me!

18. Something's not logical about that?

19. Presumably they started going backwards as there's something they're waiting to clear from 1985? Could be Running Up That Hill - they may have delayed permission whilst the Stranger Things revival is going on. Or could it be they're trying to get Madonna, and have to wait until her reissue campaign has started? Though as it's Warner that frequently don't play ball with these compilations, that seems unlikely.

1979 was a good year for music so I'm not mad about them continuing backwards for now.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.