Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread | Page 92 | The Popjustice Forum

Now That's What I Call Music nostalgia thread

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by P Grandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. The years when there were only 2 NOWs, rather than 3, were:

1985 (NOWs 5 & 6 - no spring 1985 volume)
    1986 (NOWs 7 & 8 - no spring 1986 volume)
    1987 (NOWs 9 & 10 - no summer 1987 volume)

...and then possibly some gaps again around 1990, when NOW Dance was all the rage and they focused on those).

2. Ta-dah! The last in my trilogy of "inbetweener" NOWs.... after 9.5, 4.5....may I present Now That What I Call Music! 6.5...

[​IMG]

3. Nice choice with Marlene On the Wall.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  4. I like that sequence, with It's Immaterial and Talking Heads. Flows nicely.

Because the available window is slightly shorter between NOWs 6 and 7 (compared to 4 and 5, or 9 and 10) and also because HITS 4 took lots of NOW-eligible acts, there was even less to choose from this time. 33 songs in all, that I felt were viable inclusions. Although I did want to include Cliff & The Young Ones' Living Doll...but I don't have it on CD.

5. Arcadia's The Promise last track shurely, not that greek woman...

Otherwise perfect, press it up - with correct versions obvs :)

Eric Generic likes this.
  6. Su Pollard is the other glaring omission, of course.

CDMCLP, nlgbbbblth and Hairycub1969 like this.

7. I do should have asked me... lol

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  8. Can't wait (another minute)

Eric Generic and Hairycub1969 like this.
  9. Great stuff EG - just one thing - should Separate Lives be there? (On Now 6...)

10. Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is ALWAYS one. Just like HIghlander.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  11. Right, I'll find a replacement for Separate Lives.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  12. [​IMG]

Ruby Turner slots in at the start of Side 4, and pushes the first three tracks down, so Phantom... is followed by Sting.

Hairycub1969 and nlgbbbblth like this.
  13. 11

The Now That's What I Call Music 5 CD finally arrived from Amazon today. I have done a comparison with it and my original LP. Here are the differences - some more obvious than others. If you notice anything else, please feel free to add.

Scritti Politti – The Word Girl (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP – over 1 min longer)
    Stephen TinTin Duffy – Icing On The Cake (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP – over 1 min 20 secs longer)
    Kool And The Gang – Cherish (Original Now 5 was very close to album version. This is 3:44 and is shorter than the 7″ mix)
    Paul Young – Every Time You Go Away (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP – over 1 min longer)
    Marillion – Kayleigh (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP – very obvious as album segues evident)
    Bryan Ferry – Slave To Love (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP)
    Pat Metheny Group & David Bowie – This Is Not America (Omitted from CD)
    Sister Sledge – Frankie (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP)
    Simply Red – Money’s Too Tight (To Mention) (Seems to be the 4:28 mix used on the 1996 Greatest Hits – 50 seconds longer than 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP)
    Jaki Graham – Round And Around (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP)
    Loose Ends – Magic Touch (Album version used instead of 7″ mix which was on Now 5 LP)

Fine Young Cannibals and Phil Collins tracks appear to have been faded very slightly on the original Now 5 LP – we’re talking a couple of seconds so not including these as errors.

Blaahh, Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. Pretty poor, whichever way you slice this particular pig.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  15. There's a clear run of all-correct-tracks from The Commentators to the end - a sequence of eight.
    Which goes some way towards making up for the duff six errors in a row on CD1.

16. I'm really dreading my all time fave NOW 7.. .33 tracks - what could possibly go wrong?

nlgbbbblth and Eric Generic like this.
  17. They issue the 2001 American NOW 7 tracks instead?

Booers, Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  18. My iTunes playlist has 32 songs, even though I know they put out 33...need to check what's missing (I bet it's Amazulu or something).

19. Well there is 33 tracks, so at least 33 things could go wrong.

20. I predict
    Sledgehammer album version
    Opportunities single version
    Camouflage album version
    New Beginning (Mamba Seyra) album version
    Hunting High And Low album version
    Holding Back The Years album version
    Bang Zoom wrong version because NOW 7 has a weird edit that isn’t the single or album version
    Amityville album version
    Headlines album version
    On My Own album version.

Last edited: May 21, 2020 at 12:53 PM
    nlgbbbblth and Eric Generic like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.