Now That's What I Call Music (Nostalgia) | Page 204 | The Popjustice Forum

Now That's What I Call Music (Nostalgia)

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by P Grandson, Oct 12, 2017.

1. I think it could also be Pet Shop Boys. Another legendary act who seems to keep their licensing close to their hearts now-a-days. Apart from NOW Pride & the re-releases I haven't seen them appear much recently. 'West End Girls' is probably an essential for '85 (or '84... or '86?).

2. Likewise @Eric Generic I enjoyed discovering your fantastic blog. You might have just lit the touch-paper for me to restart mine…

Mvnl and Eric Generic like this.
  3. Too kind! Post your blog link if/when you get it going again.

burntoutcar likes this.
  4. Eric Generic likes this.
  5. Mvnl

Mvnl Staff Member

Yeah I can get way too much into my head about 'would any people want to read this? Shouldn't I be writing more about this or that/in this or that way' when the reason I wanted to do it in the first place was to be less about 'what others expect' and actually express.. me? So it was quite affirming and refeshing to read several posts that are (as far as I can tell) @Eric Generic just being himself including all these little things about collecting that not everyone might 'get' (but I largely do) and realizing it makes for pretty great reading material

6. I'll not be surprised if they don't continue back to 1970 at least on the current run. A variety of reasons as I see it...

- the target audience for 1970's based comps aren't getting any younger, so having started the Yearbooks, it makes sense to go back before coming forward. That they've given the Now brand a 70's makeover suggests they're in it long-term.
    - if they continued with 1985 now, the Yearbooks would soon catch up with the original series reissues and even if there isn't a plan for a Now 13 reissue and so on, the Yearbooks could be seen as potentially drawing sales away from the relatively recent Now 1-12 reissues.
    - as already noted, licencing for some artists still active / alive may be more of a challenge than digging in the archives, although any 70's Yearbook that omits the likes of Bowie and Elton would be as lacking as an 80's series without Madonna and Prince.
    - rewriting Now's history by expanding their portfolio to the 70's, 60's etc opens the door for even more comps a-la: Now 70's Glam Rock, Now 70's Picket Line Pop, Now 70's Heatwave Hits... (oh, wait!...).

Like many, I'm more interested in '85-'99, but best I think we can hope for is that they alternate releases going forward e.g., 78, 85, 77, 86 etc.

Spiral, Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  7. The NOW reissues are of course now in fat box double CD territory, so those of us hardcore collectors might already have the original CDs - without any of the missing tracks. This could be affecting sales as it goes on. My earliest fat box is NOW 13, so as someone who has bought all the reissues so far, for the first time I won't be buying the 13 reissue when it comes out in a few months. I will however need 14, 15 and 16 when/if they ultimately get reissued!

8. It's totally illogical, but for some reason I wonder if I should get these compromised reissued ones as well, when they're only 4 or 5 quid. As I said, absolutely no reason to need them as the originals will sound more to my tastes and have the full tracklistings, but maybe if I saw them in a shop I might be tempted by 10, 11 and 12.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  9. They do seem to be doing about the same though, which is odd. The pre-fat box ones were only doing 4 or 5 k first week out too.

Hairycub1969 likes this.
  10. Maybe they're saving 1985 for 2025? The world will have exploded when we reach Yearbook '90

manloveuk likes this.
  11. But Madonna will have survived.

12. Which also means she'll prevent Vogue making the album... Again

13. I'm still buying the Now reissues (10, 11, 12) despite having a complete run. They're cheap and good for car play. I am not paying too much attention to variances with the originals as I already own those and as far as I am concerned, they're the true versions.

Good to see 1979 - a great year. Not sure if they'll go all the way through the 1970s; they may stop at 1978 or maybe 1975. At the rate of releasing, Now Yearbook Extra 1979 should be out in October. And maybe Now Yearbook 19XX ? out in November with its Extra before Christmas.

Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  14. Maybe they’ll going 2 or 3 years back and 1 forward… I can’t see them doing all the 70s straight away and then jumping to 1985. Some people are very happy for 1979, some are quite disappointed

15. Some news concerning NOW 1980 Extra, Buggles Plastic Age runs 3 50 and Rush is the full 4 57 not the UK Single Edit.

Eric Generic likes this.
  16. Howling at the idea of such a licensing request going anywhere near her eyes.

Spiral and Hairycub1969 like this.
  17. God Control appearing on NOW Pride seemed very random but also specific, so I do think she had involvement in this request and the song choice. She’s always been aware of the NOW album after blocking her albums from number 1 until they made a separate chart.

dangeleyes likes this.
  18. God
    God Control was released under a different label and deal - many tracks from those three albums appear on compilations around the world, presumably because it was in the contract that those recordings had to be made available for such products.

Her Warner repertoire is, of course, a different kettle of fish which her label controls more tightly. My understanding is that Warner's global offices basically know not to bother even asking management for clearance. Having said that, however, the occasional Warner track does pop up on comps - I think Into the Groove was on a NOW 80s title not so long ago, and I myself have managed to get at least four tracks across the line for products of mine over the years. However, I am under no illusions that the emails were forwarded to Madonna herself to sign off on. They would have gone as far as her management offices, if that.

19. Now 30 Year = Into The Groove
    Now 00s = Hung Up

I’ve never seen one of her post Warner songs on a compilation so I wasn’t aware of that, more probably to the case of the lack of hits, I’m sure it’s been mentioned before on her forums that she has the ultimate say, but as you said it’s probably more of a case of getting past the actual label first.

dangeleyes and Eric Generic like this.
  20. Yeah, there's any number of points in the process where the request can get turned around. I know there were at least 11 sign off points/signatures required in the LOCAL office of one of the major labels in Australia (won't say which one) before any request was put to the overseas label or local artist management.

But 22 years in the music industry, I can tell you in no uncertain terms that there would only be a handful of actual artists who would see a compilation request. (I'm trying to think of one where I know for sure the artist has signed off and I think Kate Bush is the only one I know, and that's only for the portion of (and because it is) her catalogue she owns herself, she doesn't get a say at all about the rest).

The artist-management relationship is usually such that the trust is put in the manager to make the right choices for the artist and they're left to bat them back with a yes or a no on the artist's behalf based on whatever conversations they've had with them. It may be that an artist has said to their management "no branded comps" (Abba) or "no alcohol related/drinking themed comps" (a couple of artists I can think of, including a very famous artist with a well-publicised alcohol dependency issue) or "no 80s-themed albums" (PSB) or "always approve as long as it's Track 1, Disc 1" (Queen, and for a while John Lennon's estate until they realised they kept missing out on placements to Queen and settled for Track 1, Disc 2) and the management knows what to approve and what not to based on those meetings/chats. They don't bother the bands or singers with this shit, it's paperwork and that's what the manager gets paid to deal with.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.