Now That's What I Call Music (Nostalgia)

1998 was a huge pop year though? Steps, B*Witched, Five, Billie, All Saints, Cleopatra, Aqua, Robyn, Another Level...

I know, but to me it just feels like that's all a part of a pop movement that kicked off in Q3/Q4 1997 carrying through to the following year by default and once you've filled a compilation CD with the above you still have another 1 and a half CDs of material to find that doesn't really sit well with each other. As the mentioned Now and Hits CDs seem to show.

I think 1999 is a much much stronger, more diverse pop year, with the genres all producing hits that can hang with each other.

Hits 4 was the first of that series that I splashed out on. The artwork remains one of the best compilation artworks ever, and that tracklist is sublime. I still pop it on occasionally, and I am immediately catapulted right back to my life in early '86.

If they ever did pull it off in terms of licensing, I'd sweep up every new variant of Hits 4 that they could throw at me.
Double vinyl with red blue green and yellow discs.

I know, but to me it just feels like that's all a part of a pop movement that kicked off in Q3/Q4 1997 carrying through to the following year by default and once you've filled a compilation CD with the above you still have another 1 and a half CDs of material to find that doesn't really sit well with each other. As the mentioned Now and Hits CDs seem to show.

I think 1999 is a much much stronger, more diverse pop year, with the genres all producing hits that can hang with each other.
Not really sure what you mean, but yes 1999 was the absolute pinnacle!

Just looked at the HITS4 tracklisting myself and...not a dud among the 28!
I could possibly live without ELO, and Come Hell wasn't Dee C Lee's finest hour, but still, I agree, there's nothing skippable there.

If I could swap those two, I'd add in Jennifer Rush (Ring Of Ice) and probably Su Pollard (Starting Together), but then, as Now Yearbooks attest, in 1986 we could have had monthly Now and Hits sets and they would still be all killer, no filler. What a time to be alive!

408227619_7375534315824210_7253765764814570614_n.jpg

Out 26th January Now 12" 1982
814a3rJMyNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Big reductions on some of the recent Now vinyl releases on their official store. Perhaps they'll wise up to the fact they are pushing too much stuff out there. Interestingly no CDs reduced. So what does that obviously tell us.... ;)
Oh wow those Now 40 Years records haven't been out for a month and they're already on sale (I think they'll come down even further), going forward I won't be buying the Millennium vinyl on release because they're disappointing at only 1LP per year and they have come down by over half the price, they're clearly not very popular.
The Now Yearbook Extra vinyl box set is a great price, I wish I held out a year for that one.

It's a good podcast though often the people they get on are very snobbish in their music tastes and/or not genuine Now fans, which is a shame

That is certainly true about the Now 6 episode with Polly Birkbeck. Not sure why she picked that one. Episode has plenty generalisations and cutting remarks.

I acquired the "new" NOW 16 over Christmas. Do we know if French Kiss is missing due to the usual copyright/label issues or simply for the sake of.... modern decency?

I got the Now 40 Years sets (general one plus the four individual volumes) in the family Christmas Kris Kringle.
Volume 3 2003-2013 is my favourite - lots of bangers, many reminiscent of work nights' out.

Oh man the reference to Long Wave Radio Atlantic 252 a couple of pages ago. What a radio station. I have such vivid memories of listening to it in - but particularly for some reason in April/May 2000. I was on a school camp trip and they always played it on the minibus. I remember them absolutely hammering Gotta Tell You.