Number One Single 2010 rate (FINAL REVEAL!)

Firstly, I would like to say how much I have enjoyed the "rated" series of threads recently, and thought i'd do my own if that is OK with you guys... to this end, welcome to (fanfare) "2010 number One singles"

There were 36 different number ones in UK last year, and although I have an inkling to whom may win, it'll be interesting to see the thoughts on also rans!

Here is a list of the runners and riders, PM me with your rating out of 10 (will accept half marks). The deadline will be Easter Monday for sumisssion. Happy Easter! PDC x

Joe McElderry - The Climb
Lady Gaga - Bad Romance
Iyaz - Replay
Owl City - Fireflies
Hope For Haiti - Everybody Hurts
Jason Derulo - In My Head
Tinie Tempah - Pass Out
Lady Gaga featuring Beyonce - Telephone
Scouting For Girls - This Ain't A Love Song
Usher featuring Will.I.Am - O.M.G.
Diana Vickers - Once
Roll Deep - Good Times
BoB featuring Bruno Mars - Nothin' On You
Dizzee Rascal - Dirtee Disco
David Guetta featuring Chris Willis - Gettin' Over You
Shout For England featuring Dizzee & James Corden - Shout
Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dogg - California Gurls
JLS - The Club Is Alive
BoB featuring Hayley Williams - Airplanes
Yolanda Be Cool vs D Cup - We No Speak Americano
The Wanted - All Time Low
Ne-Yo - Beautiful Monster
Flo Rida featuring David Guetta - Club Can’t Handle Me
Roll Deep - Green Light
Taio Cruz - Dynamite
Olly Murs - Please Don't Let Me Go
Alexandra Burke featuring Laza Morgan - Start Without You
Bruno Mars - Just The Way You Are (Amazing)
Tinie Tempah - Written In The Stars
Cee Lo Green - Forget You
Cheryl Cole - Promise This
Rihanna - Only Girl (In The World)
JLS - Love You More
X Factor Finalists 2010 - Heroes
The Black Eyed Peas - The Time (Dirty Bit)
Matt Cardle - When We Collide

If this has legs, obviously we can roll it out to other years... Happy voting!

Re: Number One Single 2010 rate

I'd happily take part in any yearly rates from the 60s, 70s, 80s, even 90s and some 00s...but 2009 and 2010 (let alone 2011!) are too dire for me to pass comment.

Amazingly I agree 100% with Eric (This has never happened before).

Eric let's do No1ks of 1983.

Ha! I think we did agree completely on something else, but it escapes me.

1983 was a GREAT year. Very good singles got to #1, and the naff ratio was pleasingly low. But, imagine the yearly singles rates with the classic #1s of the 80s....snd especially 1981, 1982, 1983 and 1984 (new gold dream, haha)....oh yes!

Eric Generic said:
but 2009 and 2010 (let alone 2011!) are too dire for me to pass comment.

And yet you manage to in every thread that references current music... (Not in a rude way EG. Just a wee bit predictable!)

Predictable, moi? Oh the shame! Haha, well if something current is good, I'll be the first to say it. Sadly, my 30+ years love affair with pop music appears to be dying a quick, auto-tuned, urban death!

Don't get me wrong, there's some utter tosh there on that list, but it's a shame to write off an era due to the bad stuff. Let's not forget that '83 was the year of Uptown Girl and Red Red Wine!

Hey, both were good records (Uptown Girl admittedly much better).

The problem with the 00s charts has been the stuff getting to #1 has often been the worst examples of modern pop. I do like bits and pieces of today's stuff; Paparazzi's a decent little pop song, as is Parachute. Meet Me Halfway is sublime (despite will.i.am's lyrics haha). Little Boots, Marina's Shampain, Florence...and so on. But those didn't get anywhere near the top of the charts, sadly.

MollieSwift21

Staff member

I'm doing this now. I love this single rates things! I have to look up quite a bit of these though that are only popular in the Uk.

One of these is getting a 0 for keeping some group off the top spot! haha

Edit: I feel bad about giving a charity song a bad ranked and someone should have warned me about the Tinie song

Cant wait to do 1986 btw, my favourite songs (the sun always shines on tv and West End Girls) againt Spitting Image and Nick Berry. Marvellous. :)

MollieSwift21 said:

Edit: I feel bad about giving a charity song a bad ranked and someone should have warned me about the Tinie song

For these comments alone, I do love you MollieSwift! Don't worry about the charity songs, they're usually awful anyway.

Submitted mine!

Given at least 50-60% of them a 0. ~oops~

If I do not see 36th place- Black Eyed Peas: The Time (Dirty Bit)- 0.0 pts I'm logging out and never returning for at least a good 5 minutes.

What an awful, awful year.

I don't know what will win, but I know who will win.

lol, some mental votes coming through, really disparate, but Im not going to give anything away! :) three songs have recieved both a 0 and a 10 rating. :)

For the record I started with 2010, not only because it had a shit load of number ones, but also to highlight how poor (in the main) they are in comparrisson to other years.

MollieSwift21

Staff member

citoig said:
MollieSwift21 said:

For these comments alone, I do love you MollieSwift! Don't worry about the charity songs, they're usually awful anyway.

Thanks I like you too. I also ended up giving Everybody Hurts a low score but being a charity single it deserved some points. I'm actually surprised how many low scores I gave as I don't consider 2010 to be a bad year for music.

RJF I don't understand Rihanna only had one number one?

Cordell I think I may be responsible for two out of those three songs

I was actually reminded there were some absolute gems last year, but overall it was just atrocious. I remember being agog with everyone else on here as awful No.1 after awful No.1 rolled in.