Oh baby, baby... 90s Pop Princesses Rate WINNER WINNER | Page 14 | The Popjustice Forum

Oh baby, baby... 90s Pop Princesses Rate WINNER WINNER

Discussion in 'Charts, rates etc' started by Fuchsia, Apr 18, 2018.

1. wwwww cute!

I'm following along with the results, but aside from the Britney tracks I don't even recognize/remember any of these songs ;;; probably for the best I didn't join after all.

vague likes this.
  2. We’re a Miracle is one of the few Christina tracks I rated fairly high! I’m happy with these two results though, as for me Christina has the weakest album.

3. People calling for I Wanna Love You Forever to be eliminated at this stage of the game?

[​IMG]

4. I do love all the Pokemon album stanning!

5. I'm pretty sure both of these songs are still here because of me. I know they're corny as hell, but god help me, I love them.

6. Don Phillip was my lowest Britney score.

I gave it an 8.

7. I feel like Don Philip is semi-iconic for being a complete random who managed to make it on what turned out to be one of the biggest albums of ever.

Fuchsia, Aester and londonrain like this.
  8. i love how earnest Britney sounds at the start of her Don Phillip duet. "I PROMISE"

I'd genuinely love to listen to a deep dive podcast about Don Phillip. How he ended up on that album, how he feels about it now, his life since, has he ever spoken to Britney since, does he own her albums, that kind of thing.

Aester and vague like this.
  9. Did you miss the entire X-Factor disaster???!

10. Speaking of Britney...

[​IMG]

From The Bottom Of My Broken Heart

Average : 5.75
    Highest score : 10 x 2 (@RUNAWAY, @Angeleyes) 9 x 1 (@PushyBakerFriend)
    Lowest score : 1 x 1 (@DJHazey) 2.5 x 1 (@CasuallyCrazed)

So Britney is the first artist to lose a single, with the final track released from the ...Baby album. It did well in the charts in the US, making it to #14, while managing to peak in the UK at #174 from imports alone. I have never really liked this one. I always found it to be a bit of a chore to sit through and not very cool or interesting. It did have a few fans, however...

"Britney’s most underrated single of all time. Almost my eleven" says @Angeleyes, while fellow 10-giver @RUNAWAY shares, "I’ve always felt that this song is really underrated, and I’ve always really loved it for some reason. I guess it was one of the first ballads I’d ever heard as a child and is probably one of the reasons why I love ballads so much". "This was not the best single option here, but it’s cute", says @tylerc904, @PushyBakerFriend is "Loving Britney's low notes in this" and @ThisIsRogue says "I'm having a moment with this. The backing vocals are great and harmonise with Britney's main vocal really well. It's such a smooth song". Apparently Don Philip is one of the backing vocalists ddd.

The struggle is real for @iheartpoptarts, "We got this instead of ‘Born to Make You Happy’, we didn’t get any of the good bonus tracks, and we got no TRL because Canada. Hug me", and @DJHazey is making his way to the door, "If it wasn't for the bops to come on the next album I would've completely checked out after hearing this". @berserkboi and I are still in shock that Australia didn't get Born To Make You Happy as a single, "Never liked this! The only reason it’s not a zero is because Not A Girl, Not Yet A Woman exists!" and @WowWowWowWow lost those rose coloured glasses, "I don't remember this being as boring as I find it nowadays". @vague has had it, officially, "this is just too melodramatic or w/e for me. never really cared for it and wish it hadn't been a single tbh".

The music video was directed by Gregory Dark, who at the time was more well known for being an adult filmmaker, which caused a bit of a fuss.

Maartje, Rem, Robsolete and 13 others like this.
  11. FUCK NO! This being lower than the Nick Lachey duet? SERIOUSLY??

GimmeWork, RUNAWAY and yuuurei like this.
  12. Did I somehow reveal my score for Not A Girl in the UK #2s rate....

[​IMG]

And yes @JamesJupiter - a thousand times over Born To Make You Happy should've been released here instead!!

13. Whaaat no!! FTBOMBH (wow) is a great song! my 11 year old self was living for that melodrama.

14. I'm not mad at this leaving. I gave it a 7 because I did have a moment with it, and was reminded that it was an OK song, but it's also a bit of a chore to sit through. I never thought it was worthy of being a single, especially over the far superior 'Born To Make You Happy'.

berserkboi and vague like this.
  15. 47

[​IMG]

Quit Breaking My Heart

Average : 5.77
    Highest score : 9 x 1 (@Angeleyes) 8 x 2 (@Sprockrooster, @RUNAWAY)
    Lowest score : 2 x 1 (@londonrain) 3 x 1 (@PushyBakerFriend)

Mandy loses her second track, and the first featured on the original So Real album. There is a short reprise featured at the end of the album, too.

"The first real misstep on this album. The way she sings the word "heart" in the chorus bugs me as well" says @DJHazey, while @vauge shares, "idk why but the vocals are giving me Trisha Paytas if she could manage to stay on key ddd. this is a pretty bland ballad or w/e; don't really know what else to say about this one..." and @berserkboi isn't that fussed, either, "Alright, I guess, not Mandy's strongest". @iheartpoptarts thinks "Only good for the telephone interlude" - I mean it's no (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction interlude, but it's okay. I'm confused about all the songs with 'heart' in the title, too, @WowWowWowWow, "Oh dear. WELL MAYBE IF YOU HADN’T LET HIM LOCK YOU IN HIS HEART, YOU WOULDN’T BE IN THIS SITUATION" while @PushyBakerFriend says, "Mandy takes the title that 100 different Backstreet Boys songs share, but none of the quality". @Sprockrooster loves a sequel, "For me often a song benefits from having a reprise and this is no exception". "So, so pretty" @Angeleyes shares, while @unnameable has got a crush, "Short and sweet, much like Ms Moore".

Next up, our first tie!

Rem, Robsolete, soratami and 9 others like this.
  16. Okay, Quit Breaking My Heart is one of the worst songs on the album, but it bowing out #47 is giving me feels. She sounds incredibly sweet and the production's lovely.

pop3blow2 and Fuchsia like this.
  17. Hug for @iheartpoptarts.

Mandy is losing the wrong songs first. Hoping it changes soon.

iheartpoptarts and Remorque like this.
  18. Quite a few ballads are going. I wonder what the top ballad of the rate will be.

pop3blow2 likes this.
  19. Born To Make You Happy or I Wanna Be With You, please!

rav4boy, vague, Robert and 1 other person like this.
  20. londonrain

londonrain Staff Member

I stan both these songs, but also Christina exists, so...

[​IMG]

vague and berserkboi like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.