Older albums you're loving today. | Page 29 | The Popjustice Forum

Older albums you're loving today.

Discussion in 'Comeback corner' started by Vasilios, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Prototype from 2005 (!) was such a PJ moment, I still remember getting the CD in the post from cdon.com (and everything else they released over the years) Someone on here likened the cdon.com Prototype deliveries to Wizard Of Oz flying monkeys from Sweden. I think it is by far their best album.

[​IMG]

2. Sun's out, Koop's on!
    koop.jpg koop2.jpg
    They never fail to hit that Swede spot!

TRAVVV, Vasilios and Bleu Noir like this.
  3. [​IMG]

Superb stuff, and proof that Ms Ross could release an mid 90's R&B album just as impressive as Mariah, Janet and Toni.

TRAVVV and The_Rani like this.
  4. All this talk about D.A.F has made me get D.A.F. frontman Robert Gorl's debut solo album, Night Full Of Tension, out for a spin. He was dating Annie Lennox at the time so you get the added bonus of hearing her on backing vox on a few tracks too.

This would honestly be in my top 20 all-time favourite singles:

And featuring Annie:

Ah... I remember when Eurythmics were far more tuned to the underground and worked, albeit 'anonymously', with Throbbing Gristle's Chris and Cosey on this forgotten gem:

Sweet!

5. My choice of albums today was:
    Talking Heads - Remain in Light (1980)
    Scritti Politti - Provision (1988) (Best thing ever should have been a single in August 1987!)
    The Police - Ghost in the Machine (1981)

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Blaahh and Eric Generic like this.
  6. Yes it should!

(I wonder if it being on Warners, and part of the Madonna soundtrack, created obstacles).

lob0to and Hairycub1969 like this.
  7. Today was Saint Etienne’s Continental on the iPod as I was to and from work.

Tonight I have Ancient Heart by Tanita Tikaram playing on LP. Gorgeous, and scary to think I bought it on cassette originally 32 years ago!

8. I think I saw this album getting reissued on Turntable and gave it a listen today:

Cotton Park likes this.
  9. I was listening to this album the other day (one of my faves from growing up), and I was really excited to see UMG had added an expanded version that included all the tracks that were dropped from the reissue, all other bonuses, plus some remixes as well. Some of the mixes I didn't even know existed. Who knew Fernando Garibay was doing club mixes for Mya years before Gaga enlisted him?

ysev, Island, tylerc904 and 2 others like this.
  10. I'm working my way through Front 242 now, listening to them and Nitzer Ebb, you can see where Depeche Mode got their inspiration from, and in turn Numan from Depeche Mode's Songs of Faith and Devotion onwards

nnnumb, Hairycub1969 and Eric Generic like this.
  11. Very true.

If you're liking NE/F242, there are literally hundreds of other groups that are similar. The compilation that turned me onto the whole scene in 1988 is 'This is Electronic Body Music' which is a pivotal album for me. Great tracks from the likes of Click Click, A Split Second, Neon Judgement, a;Grumh…, etc

Then there's Covenant who are like a slightly poppier version of Front 242. More than a few good albums to be had there.

(I'll shut up now, promise).

dancevision likes this.
  12. Whatever Bitch (née Chick) being included on Moodring after being a random bonus track on Fear of Flying is still so weird.

TRAVVV and Angeleyes like this.
  13. Thanks again for the recommendations, please don’t shut up haha, it’s always good to share the knowledge

Will check out them both out through the week

nnnumb likes this.
  14. Truly awful cover though.

15. [​IMG]

The Best of Deniece Williams - Gonna Take a Miracle

It is missing 'I've Got the Next Dance' and 'Wiser and Weaker', but it's still a charming listen, what a great voice she has... I just noticed that Deniece will turn 70 this week, so happy birthday!

16. Let's hear it for the girl. Let's give her a hannnnd
    To blow out the candles on her cake
    Woah woah woah woah she's gonna be 70!

17. I've been on a Stereolab kick this week!

[​IMG]

18. This is a good compilation but I do wish they included I'be Got the Next Dance. Love Songs is also a good comp (similar track listing).

The_Rani likes this.
  19. Today I've been listening to the Sophie and Peter Johnston album
    [​IMG]

20. I am obsessed with Billie Piper’s Walk of Life album right now. I’ve played it at least once a day for the past two weeks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.